Betta Health Question

Kerstin

Hi there,

I got Gandalf my betta about 8 months ago @ pet$mart. He was always really active, but recently he's getting pretty lethargic for lack of a better word. He just lies around most of the time in different places and seems to have trouble staying at the top of the water. Always comes up for food really quick though. Does not seem bloated.

Tank: 2.5 G heated

ammonia: 0

nitrites: 0

nitrates: not quite sure, but really low on the color scale (has live plants in his tank)

waterchanges: 3 times per week

food: 3 hikari betta pellets, blood worms, pea once a week (small piece, not the whole thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Do you have a filter in the tank? The water quality seems okay. Maybe the filter is too strong for him?

As Vee suggested, it could be the filter flow. Your stated water params seem ok, even the Nitrates which were my first concern since you didn't know for sure but that's most likely no matter due to your water changing habits. It could well be boredom. Do you do any stimulating activities with him?

Thanks for your replies. He's does not have a filter. Just a bubble stone and that's been in there for about 4 months. I've tried lots of small filters, but they kept breaking on me so I settled on just the bubble stone.

We do the mirror thing sometimes and I do sit with him a bit and he does come to the top or the front of the tank for that, but it seems it's taking him a lot more energy to do so than before and he seems to sink to the ground repeatedly.

Have you tries the Azoo Palm filter? If not, I've heard alot of good reviews concerning it, and it's very affordable. Check it out here on Foster&Smith:

My link

He really should have some kind of filtration system in there. All those water changes, although good for not having a filter, could very well be stressful for him; and it would be easier on you to only have to do weekly w/c's if you had a cycled filter. If nothing works out you should at the very least have a spong filter in there. I've used them many times and they're great. ;)

Anyway, would you happen to know what finnage type your Betta has?

Thanks Kateana, I'll check that one out. I was planning to do a sponge filter after I saw Fangs post. That looks really easy.

As for his tail: he is a spade tail.

No problem. :) And the spong filter idea she posted was a good on for DIY. Keep us updated on what you end up with and if your Betta perks up at all. I'm assuming a "spade tail" would be a Veiltail? Regardless, I asked about the finnage type because in many cases, Bettas with lengthy finnage will end up being less active due to their excess of finnage.

Thanks. I will. I was wondering if maybe he is just getting old. He was fully grown when I got him, so who knows...

Yeah, that's one of the downsides to lps Bettas, you never know their age. It could be that, the lack of filtration, stress, or boredom. Experiment and perhaps you can figure out what's up, if anything. Good luck to you and Gandalf - and be sure to post some pics of him sometime! ;)

Yeah, that's one of the downsides to lps Bettas, you never know their age. It could be that, the lack of filtration, stress, or boredom. Experiment and perhaps you can figure out what's up, if anything. Good luck to you and Gandalf - and be sure to post some pics of him sometime! ;)

Thanks.

There is a photo of him in this topic. Hope the link works

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/87116-new-betta/

Oh, he is a nice looking boy indeed! :D 'Looks to be a Butterfly VT(Veiltail) ;)

Thanks. I'm pretty attached to him. :)

I can understand. :D

Bettas are very endearing fish, so full of personality. 'Great little pets for being fish, really. (Aside from goldies, I must say! :rolleyes: )

You can put a little compact mirror up for him a few times a week, for 5 minutes or so. I have some small filters, if you have trouble finding one, let me know.

Thanks Waterfaller. I think his problem is more that he has problems swimming to the top, because even when he eats his food he rests on the leaves of the plant to keep up at the surface.

Usually bettas in petcos are 6 mo. give or take.So his age shouldn't be an issue. Hmm...it could be a bacterial infection..possibly. A little salt, and/or some tea made from Indian almond leaves or alder cone might be a good course to take. You can also buy pre-made tonic, made from the almond leaves.