Black Spots On Head, Tons Of History.

Fish change colors how they want to change colors. lol My fish started a color change with a large brown spot right under its dorsal and I thought it might be something to worry about, but he's slowly turning from black and white to grey to white and (the brown spot) might someday be orange. :)

The spot on your fishes fin may or may not be ammonia burns.. I know my fish has some black spots on it's fins and they're old.. They take a long time to show up. So when they did show up and the water conditions were perfect my mind was boggled :rofl

Fish change colors how they want to change colors. lol My fish started a color change with a large brown spot right under its dorsal and I thought it might be something to worry about, but he's slowly turning from black and white to grey to white and (the brown spot) might someday be orange. :)

The spot on your fishes fin may or may not be ammonia burns.. I know my fish has some black spots on it's fins and they're old.. They take a long time to show up. So when they did show up and the water conditions were perfect my mind was boggled :rofl

That's good to hear. Yea, I can guarantee there are no ammonia burns. I can't speak for before I've owned her (got her at my LFS), but there's been no readings in my tank since I got her. I'm very meticulous about my parameters.

HPIM2519.jpg

Finally got a decent picture of the coppering. This is definitely new as well. You can see it right under the dorsal fin, on what looks like their spine. Can you see it though? It looks like her whole body is changing, but I don't know if it's natural or something else. The only other thing online I could find about this was this one thread (I can't find it now, of course) where someone's white fish turned purple, eventually pine-coned then died. It sounded horrific and now I'm really scared of course that my goldie is developing this.

The darkening along the spine seems normal to me. Most fish are darker along the base of the dorsal, on their face, base of tail etc.

This isn't exactly the best picture, but it show's what I'm talking about. And this fish also had dark spots appear on his fins which I first couldn't understand, but now know that it is a simple color change. He did not have the black markings when I got him. Now they are slooooowly turning orange.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/EileenGalvin/051511023.jpg

I hope this helps a bit though! :)

• Admin

Great pic Fang..

Yeah goldfish will change color, if you have a fish that doesnt have black then gets the black, thats when I worry but a fish that has a natural black color to them and it starts to fade thats normal. fish will normally change colors atleast 2 times in there life, kinda like us getting age spots or gray hair :)

• 1 month later...

Ok, some thread necromancy here. Here's my update. The gel food has completely alleviated her health problems, no bottom sitting, and she can gulp all day and no floating. Also, the black on her fins is gradually leaving, and the darkening on her head and spinal area is basically gone. The ONLY thing weird happening now is the original black spots I wrote about seem to be rising...before they looked like they were below the wen, now they look like they're on the surface. It's really weird. The attached picture only shows it in it's full mode...they look like pin holes almost. It's really weird.

HPIM2568.jpg

Here's a better picture, plus a hilarious one hahaha.

HPIM2570.jpg

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot