Sign in to follow this  
npila1

How Long Does Unopened Food Last?

I have one bag of metromeds, one bag of medigold, and one bag of jumpstart that were bought 8 months ago and were never opened/used. Do they need to be thrown out or could I still use them if need be? They were stored in a dark, cool place most of the time.

Do they have the expiration date somewhere on the package? At least some of the stuff is from GFC, right? Maybe you should email them and ask; THEY should know for sure!

No unfortunately there is no expiration date on the bags... I did email Rick a couple of days ago and I didn't get a response yet, so I thought I'd ask here in case someone knows.

I see. You could probably pm Sakura, if I am not completely mistaken, she has used Metro Meds many times, I believe. If anyone knows, it gotta be her :)

Npila, those bags are airtight, and so should last for at least a year, and that's a conservative estimate. The concern is when you have already opened the bag. That's why it's recommended that when you've opened the bag, you should divide the food into small portions and vacuum seal them and throw them in the freezer, so they will last for a while. Once you open the bag, the food should not the used after six months.

Npila, those bags are airtight, and so should last for at least a year, and that's a conservative estimate. The concern is when you have already opened the bag. That's why it's recommended that when you've opened the bag, you should divide the food into small portions and vacuum seal them and throw them in the freezer, so they will last for a while. Once you open the bag, the food should not the used after six months.

Great, thanks dnalex! How do you vacuum seal the small portions?

You can do this with a vacuum sealer. I borrowed one from my aunt when I had to do this lol

Ooooh good info here! I was wondering how long my opened bag of Metro Meds would last. Great idea on the freezer. I also put the date on the bag of when I opened so I never forget.

npila1 - Lot's of people have used Metro Meds on this forum. I recently did (er, still am!) for the first time. When you keep certain breeds of goldfish, sometimes they have a tendency to get sick more often than other breeds. Like Veil Tails, Butterflies and even Pearlscales, they are just so darn delicate ;) but oooooh so pretty! :D

LOL Auryn, I also had to break open the Metro-meds when Byakuya (my DO butterfly) came down with dropsy, most likely due to the shipping stress that brought out into the open some dormant internal infection. Thank goodness she's ok now, but I've had to learn all about vacuum sealed bags at the time, because while I hope never to have to use the metro again, I also don't want to have to order a new bag. They aren't cheap.

npila1 - Lot's of people have used Metro Meds on this forum. I recently did (er, still am!) for the first time. When you keep certain breeds of goldfish, sometimes they have a tendency to get sick more often than other breeds. Like Veil Tails, Butterflies and even Pearlscales, they are just so darn delicate ;) but oooooh so pretty! :D

:exactly Certain breeds, and especially if they're imports. Imports get sick at the slightest thing.