Water Too Warm

Well, there's me thinking I'll do my water change early in the morning when the tap water is colder than during the day, since we are getting temperatures of 95F in the past few days.

With no A/C, the tank water this morning was 80F.

I drain the tank, start refilling with COLD water from the tap and the thermometer in the tank shoots up to 85F, with the tank being only filled 25%.

For some reason, the people in this town thought it is a great idea to have the water pipes about a foot under the ground. So the cold water in summer here in the South is 85F in the morning BEFORE sunrise. What the frigg.

Now I had to salvage all the ice I could find in the house to lower the tank temperature to 83F. It was easier last year because I only had 20 gallons, it was easier to keep the water cooler with ice during a water change.

Now I gotta go to the little mexican store and buy XXX bags of ice so I can finish changing the water in the other four tanks later, because there are about 90 more gallons I have to change.

I so mad.

OMG I cannot believe 30C is your 'cold temp'!!! :krazy:

How big is your tank? How cold is the water at night? I wonder if you could somehow put the water in a rainbucket thing the night before with some ice - and do the water change in the morning? Or blow a fan over it?

Once the tank w/c is done tho - is the temp stable? I know that for my 85Gal the temp usually stays whatever temp I put in.

I'm sorry about your woes, Fang. :( What a bummer. I have nothing useful to contribute, but my well-wishes are with your goldies :)

Yes, Federica, 30C is our "cold" water in the MORNING. In the afternoon, after the sun was shining all day long, a cold shower feels like a warm one.

I was so worried about the fish when I saw the tank temperature has 5F difference within a minute. That CAN'T be good.

The tank temperature is right now usually between 80 and 82F during the day. Over night it goes down to maybe 78F. With the ice from the store ($ 1.75 for 16lb isn't too bad) I could finish the remaining water changes without problems. I just clamped the hose to the tank to refill it, kept an eye on the thermometer and kept adding ice in to keep the temperature at 82F. WIN!

I had to use about a third of the bag.

Just gotta remember from now on to keep a bag of ice in the freezer for the water changes during the hot time of the year.

EDIT: Tay, no I don't. It honestly is a matter of getting used to it and adjusting to it. Like at home I wear cool clothing, not too worried about how pretty they are. Ceiling fans on, windows darkened. Lots of cold water drinking. My kidneys love me. LOL

I have nothing useful to say except that I understand your frustration. Hopefully everything will be okay for your fish. If it helps to know my goldies are stuck in 80 - 82 all year round. In the summer with the AC the water stays around 80 and in the winter because of the landlords heating the water stays around 82 with fans blowing across the top. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Edith! I'm not worried about the water being warm in general. It just irks me that the cold tap water here is already 85F at 7am.

If I had A/C in the house and let's say the tank temperature would be 75F, I would be so screwed doing water changes during the day when the COLD tap water temperature goes up to around 88F.

I'd either have to add 15 lbs of ice to the tank during the water change, or age the water over night.

The latter would be very not practical, considered that on the weekends when all the tanks get water changes, I'd need to have about 100 gallons aged, temperature matched water at hand. ... :unsure:

Now I gotta go to the little mexican store and buy XXX bags of ice so I can finish changing the water in the other four tanks later, because there are about 90 more gallons I have to change.

You want ice? Fifty dollar! :tomato:

Thanks, Edith! I'm not worried about the water being warm in general. It just irks me that the cold tap water here is already 85F at 7am.

If I had A/C in the house and let's say the tank temperature would be 75F, I would be so screwed doing water changes during the day when the COLD tap water temperature goes up to around 88F.

I'd either have to add 15 lbs of ice to the tank during the water change, or age the water over night.

The latter would be very not practical, considered that on the weekends when all the tanks get water changes, I'd need to have about 100 gallons aged, temperature matched water at hand. ... :unsure:

Simple solution: buy a 150g tank to age your water in! Then, of course, you will need some goldfish to put in there to keep the water company...:rofl

Simple solution: buy a 150g tank to age your water in! Then, of course, you will need some goldfish to put in there to keep the water company...:rofl

And then I need a 250 gallon tank to age the water for the old tanks plus the new tank.

And then more fish

And more tanks

More fish

More tanks

Fish

Tanks

Fish

Robs a bank

Tanks

Fish

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Fang, how do you survive?! There's no way I could make it without AC! I remember one time the AC blew and it was like.. 90*F INSIDE with the fans going and the windows shut! :thud

I could see managing it up north (in West Virginia the hottest it gets is around 90 on rare days and there's little to no humidity) but here?! :krazy:

You are one brave/strong woman! :heart

I couldn't survive either. It is 95 here with high humidity. The humidity where the fish are is 50% but we keep the ac on at 68 to prevent mold from growing on the walls :rofl

My tank was at 74 the other day and after the water change it was up to 78 :( so I feel your pain.

And then I need a 250 gallon tank to age the water for the old tanks plus the new tank.

And then more fish

And more tanks

More fish

More tanks

Fish

Tanks

Fish

Robs a bank

Tanks

Fish

:rofl

btw we would all love to rob a bank to buy more fish stuff ;)

Move to Belgium. We might have 10 days of 30°C, but the tabwater stays under 22°C :yeah:

Edited by Quasi

And then more fish

And more tanks

More fish

More tanks

Fish

Tanks

Fish

Robs a bank

Tanks

Fish

:rofl

btw we would all love to rob a bank to buy more fish stuff ;)

Move to Belgium. We might have 10 days of 30?C, but the tabwater stays under 22?C :yeah:

Sounds great! I'll camp out in your gorgeous back yard :D

Wow for once I feel happy that I live in WI haha .. Sorry you have to deal with that :( .. Hopefully it gets better for you and you can keep it under control! :)

Thanks! I performed a 50% change on my 55 gallon tank before, after I cleaned out the filters (and mainly because I was bored LOL) and with the ice it really works perfect. I just fill the tank slower and add ice in as needed to maintain stable temperature.

I noticed my water was warmer than usual when I did a water change on the 75g this past weekend also. The tank temp was 78f which was the same as the house and I couldn't really get the tap any lower than around 80f even after letting it run for a bit to make sure the warm water wasn't just from the water sitting in the pipes. That wasn't a huge difference so I just let it be at that temp and all was fine but I worry that it may get worse as it heats up more and more here. I'm in NC right near SC line.

Thanks for the heads up on your solution since I may be needing to fix the temp here as well. Better make sure I gots me some ice before the next water change. ;)

I noticed my water was warmer than usual when I did a water change on the 75g this past weekend also. The tank temp was 78f which was the same as the house and I couldn't really get the tap any lower than around 80f even after letting it run for a bit to make sure the warm water wasn't just from the water sitting in the pipes. That wasn't a huge difference so I just let it be at that temp and all was fine but I worry that it may get worse as it heats up more and more here. I'm in NC right near SC line.

Thanks for the heads up on your solution since I may be needing to fix the temp here as well. Better make sure I gots me some ice before the next water change. ;)

Definitely do that. I'm in SC close to the NC line, so I assume our weather is about the same. Just fill your tank slowly, that gives you more time to counteract with ice if needed :)

Fang, one suggestion I had for you is something you are already doing, which is to replace the water gradually so you don't raise the temperature rapidly. But I've also been thinking about the fact that outdoor ponds, even those that are above ground and shallow, stay well below the air temperature in summer. A major reason is that virtually all ponds have a waterfall and/or a fountain, and these cool the water by evaporation. I saw a little container fountain kit in Home D that could easily fit in an aquarium and reproduce this effect. It even had a "foam filter block" in the base. :)