Sign in to follow this  
Smurfishy

Brine Shrimp Eggs

I am looking to purchase brine shrimp eggs via amazon since my lfs does not stock this and would like to know from those more experienced just how much eggs should I get for 25 fry? My lil guys are 3 days old so I need to get this asap, although one of my lfs has frozen baby brine shrimp that i am thinking of getting in the mean time. Neither have specific fry food. One suggested getting a large mossy stone from a pond and just put it in there with them as enough to suffice. I assume the latter would be frowned upon by all of you. Any other foods I should get while I am at it? Thanx for your help!

I raised mine mostly on frozen baby brine shrimp. I never used the freshly hatched kind. Frozen worked perfectly fine. Then, if you can find at a petstore somewhere in your area, Hikari First Bites. http://www.fosterand...84_FS19551D.jpg

This is a really fine powder that the fry can eat right away. Another food source would be boiled egg yolk. This kind of makes the water dirty quick and requires more frequent water changes, but it is good if you have nothing else at hand right now. After all, the fry needs food quickly after their yolk sack is used up (after about 36 - 48 hours post hatching).

Just boil an egg until the yolk is all firm, then crumble a tiny bit of yolk up and spread it out over the surface. You will probably have to clean the bottom of the tank well then. Try to feed in one corner, this will keep most of the uneaten food in one corner as well and makes cleanup easier. :)

I have some freeze dried baby shrimp it calls it sun dried gammarous. Could I crush these and soak and feed these for now? How long do I keep non live food in there before removing it?

I honestly don't know this kind of frozen baby shrimp, sorry :(

Maybe you should just go with the egg yolk for now, that works for sure :)

And removing: I found it really hard SEEING the uneaten food ***, so I "vacuumed" the feeding area twice daily with a turkey baster. After a couple weeks I switched to gravel vacuum and a bucket, having the water run into the bucket first before dumping, in case I suck up a fish.

*** because I kept the fry in a clear/whiteish plastic tub, sitting on a light blue towel. The food (egg yolk, baby brine, tan powder) was too light colored to really show up.

ok, good to know, ty!

I got there in the morn and the resident fish dude was in and pointed me in the direction of the hikari first bites, yay!

If you are going to buy brine shrimp eggs online, I suggest brineshrimpdirect.com. I have been told that they are the best site to deal with and have the best quality eggs. :)

That stuff is good too. You need just a tiny bit. I usually dipped the dry tip of my finger in the powder and then flicked whatever was stuck to it, onto the water surface. Multiple times a day. Alternated with frozen baby brine shrimp, this is really good nutrition for the fry :)

The powder will float at the water surface for quite a while and sink very slowly. Good for the tiny babies :)