Floaty And In Need Of Some Glasses

Vee

Okay, so Oren, lovingly called Bubba, due to his shear size has become floaty. And while I know that's not too much of a problem I'm wondering if it's due to his ever growing wen. The wen is growing over his eyes, and leaves him with what looks like a very unproportional half circle of vision. Just the very tops of his eyes show, though I can see his pupil in there just fine. He's been at the top for a few days (not by choice) but before that he preferred to stay at the top so he could get food (I think he has problems seeing) Just last night and today I noticed he can swim down (if you chase him with your hand from the top) but he can't make it to the bottom, where all the peas and sinking pellets end up.

He wouldn't eat any of the peas this morning so I hand/force fed him (He's too chicken to take food from my fingers) but he spit all but I think about half a pea out.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0 (It looked very yellow.. I wonder if I've lost my cycle.. :( )

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.2

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Last I checked 7.6 (but that was last winter)

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master kit

[*]Water temperature? ~75 (I don't have a heater and the water decides what temperature it wants to be. :rofl)

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 50g I'm not sure how long, really but all the media was seeded from a tank that I've had since July of last year and I know that I have had a cycle (half fishless) for a few months now..

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? I'm not sure on the name/size of it. I know it's what I think you'd call a Wet/Dry Filter

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Every week and a half to two weeks about 75% (The test readings never get high enough that I SHOULD change the water, but I do it just to be cautious..)

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much? a week ago-ish? 75%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? four fish, one at about 4'', one at about 3'' and one at about 2, I think? (this is without finnage)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tetra Aquasafe (I've been hoping to get to the lfs to get some Prime but I'm waiting to get Prazi in. (I've never prazi'd any of my fish and I guess it's time to do so, just to be on the safe side.)

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Omega-One Medium Sinking Pellets 2-3 times a day, and peas (usually about once a week)

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Melafix, I added it because Oren's pelvic fins were turning very light at the end (and Pear, in her QT tank seemed to be suffering from the signs of finrot, so I dosed his tank just to be sure.) Some of the color is returning to his fins..

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No, but he has been changing color from steel-grey blue to white. :)

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? He floats at the top and will eat sinking pellets that don't fall quickly enough, but didn't want to eat peas. He will occasionally swim down, but usually ends up being turned sideways (or even upside down) from the effort.

I know it's just floaty issues and they're easily fixed, but I don't have a QT for him, so whatever I do treat with has to be the entire tank (Unless I go ahead and add my QTing Pearlscale Pear to the tank and put him in Pear's place.)

Mostly I think I'm just nervous about having to trim his wen near his eyes. It's clearly becoming a problem for him as I think much of the reason he was at the top of the tank (by choice) was that he wanted to be able to snatch up food before it hit the bottom, where he would have to go searching for it.

If anyone needs pictures I'll get those. :)

I really wouldn't worry about having to trim his wen. I've seen goldfish with their eyes pretty much completely covered who can still get their food. Wen trimming should really be a last resort.

I don't think the floating is necessarily just a minor issue though if it is persisting (not just happening every now and then). I think you should definitely be doing larger and more frequent water changes. Remember that there is a lot more in your water than the three chemicals we test for, including bacteria. If you go too long without a water change, these things can accumulate and multiply.

I really wouldn't worry about having to trim his wen. I've seen goldfish with their eyes pretty much completely covered who can still get their food. Wen trimming should really be a last resort.

I don't think the floating is necessarily just a minor issue though if it is persisting (not just happening every now and then). I think you should definitely be doing larger and more frequent water changes. Remember that there is a lot more in your water than the three chemicals we test for, including bacteria. If you go too long without a water change, these things can accumulate and multiply.

I completely agree! Also, he wouldn't just become floaty due to his sheer size. Of all my fish, Ichigo & Jyushiro are both very large (7+ inches if you including tail), and neither are at all floaty. Have you tried fasting him for a couple of days, and then tried feeding peas with Epsom?

I missed a comma in there. :P He's not floaty because of his size, he's floaty because he hangs around the top and gulps air if he wants food or when I feed the fish. We call him bubba due to his large size.

I'll leave his wen for now, but I honestly do think it's getting in the way of his life style and I just don't know if I could handle having a fish swim upside down and starve because all the food he gets sinks to the bottom... :thud

I'll try fasting him (though if I feed peas with epsom there's no doubt in my mind all of the fish in the tank are going to end up getting some... Also.. What kind of epsom salt? Just the kind they sell for bathing in?

Edited by Vee

Yes, the regular epsom salt from the bath section in the store--no perfumes added or anything, of course. Just put one grain in a pea. If you have a clear rubbermaid, you can QT him in that, perhaps? I don't think you want to treat all the fish with epsom... For feeding, have you tried putting hm in a plastic floating colander? Then he can get the food and others can't, and he can still be at the top of the tank. I got a white plastic one at Targ*t and it worked well for this. I hope his floatiness resolves soon!

I missed a comma in there. :P He's not floaty because of his size, he's floaty because he hangs around the top and gulps air if he wants food or when I feed the fish. We call him bubba due to his large size.

:rofl

That comma is one of the most powerful things in the English language.

I hope you'll be sort of this out quickly :)

A Colander as in.. the things you drain vegetables/pasta in? I'll see if I can get a plastic one when I get the epsom. :)

Fff. :lol "Lets eat Grandma." vs "Let's eat, Grandma" TOTALLY different meaning, just because of one little flick. :rofl

Yes, I've been putting Winnie in a plastic container for the last few weeks at every feeding. Otherwise she grabs everyone else's food and then gets floaty from overeating. This way I can limit her intake. I swear when she see's me putting in the container, she hurries to get in. She thinks it's her private dining room. :feedme Sometimes she doesn't want to leave...... :rofl

. I swear when she see's me putting in the container, she hurries to get in. She thinks it's her private dining room. :feedme Sometimes she doesn't want to leave...... :rofl

:rofl That's so funny. And useful she likes it too :)