Tank Size Question...

tithra

Hi all,

I am currently in the market for one/two goldfish. I have a 30 gallon tank that I am cycling right now. I have been eyeing the fish at Rain Garden, in particular a couple Orandas. I was wondering if 30 gallons is large enough for two of them. The two I am looking at on the site are between 5-6 inches. I am having a difficult time imagining how large/small this is (given that these measurements are not just body, but body+tail). Would a 30 gallon be enough room for two fish this size? I would like to eventually upgrade to a 55 gallon, but I do not have the room for it right now (I will be moving in a year and will have room then). My other options is to buy two smaller guys (buying me some time before they grow) from a LFS, but I am trying to avoid supporting these local store with overcrowded tanks and sick fish.

Any input you have would be appreciated!

30 would be fine for them. :) It's what we recommend here at Kokos, 20 for the first, 10 for every after. And with upgrading to the 55g eventually, I think you'll be fine. If you feel like one of them would be too much fish for your tank, I would hold off, though. :)

30 is a great start. Im glad you got that large of a tank to start. BROWNIE POINTS. Then a 55 thats wonderful. Personally i like getting the lit guys cause i get to watch em grow up. Tank size by the may should be proportional to the fish. 10 gallons per fish is th minimum and at least an extra 5 gallons per inch of fish after 4 inches. Not sure he the other folks on this site agree but thats what i came up with by some careful thinking and simple adding. Hope all this helps in some way

I'm finding my 40 gal with two goldfish is too much for me to maintain. For a while I did daily water changes.

But part of this is because I tend to understock my tanks, do less water changes then most people and have a bad system for water changing because the siphon doesn't fit on the faucet leading to water changes with buckets and 1 gal jugs.

I've heard 30 is the minimual for a pair, however when one asks, one needs to be aware that more water changes will be needed.

PS; Too bad you weren't in the market for Rain garden fish earlier from VT...I was looking for a shared order about a month ago to save on shipping.

I'm happy with my Rain Garden goldies, though it's been difficult without getting the tank I planned for them. I had a 70 gal planned that my friend said I could have when I was ready and she's always not home.

Edited by Au-fish

I'm finding my 40 gal with two goldfish is too much for me to maintain. For a while I did daily water changes.

But part of this is because I tend to understock my tanks, do less water changes then most people and have a bad system for water changing because the siphon doesn't fit on the faucet leading to water changes with buckets and 1 gal jugs.

I've heard 30 is the minimual for a pair, however when one asks, one needs to be aware that more water changes will be needed.

PS; Too bad you weren't in the market for Rain garden fish earlier from VT...I was looking for a shared order about a month ago to save on shipping.

I'm happy with my Rain Garden goldies, though it's been difficult without getting the tank I planned for them. I had a 70 gal planned that my friend said I could have when I was ready and she's always not home.

Darn it, that would have been nice to save on some shipping : )