Little White Lines Moving In My Tank!

Vee

I'm not really sure where to put this, as I don't know what in the WORLD they are, so if this is in the wrong spot, please feel free to move it.

On the inside glass of my betta tank there are little white lines flecked all over the sides of the tank. At first I thought it was dust on the outside and tried to wipe it away. I looked closer and they're all over the thermometer, the glass, mostly on the front wall... I looked even closer and... They MOVE! :krazy:

I don't know if they're harmful to the betta, but he barely seems to notice them, doesn't eat them, just goes about his business.. I'm scared to reach into the tank (they're BUG TYPE THINGS! I signed up for fish! Not crazy BUG things!) Just the thought of it is making me itchy!

I can't see any legs or little hairs.. the just look like little white lines of dust and they scoot along the glass..

:help:

I'll try and take a picture, though I can't say I'm sure they'd show up..

I can't edit the first post anymore, but I managed to get them on video (and some pictures, but I think the video shows it all the best.)

th_VIDEO0014.jpg

Ewww! I have had those too at some point! I think they are 'planaria relatives'! If you can try doing a large water change/cleaning of the tank. That should diminish the population.

I really do not think the little white ones are bad at all...could be planeria. It's the big red or black ones that are bad. These should die out on their own, or you are not keeping the tank clean enough, which has exploded the population. I agree with Captain, some water changes and removal should cut down the population.

Not bugs, bugs do not live in water. They are beneficial..most likely daphnia or copepods. Do you have live plants?

I do have live plants, but I haven't added any new ones in a while, and to be quite honest the sword plant I have is not doing so well. My anubias (I think it's a nana) is growing more leaves though! :) )

That looks just like what I just found in my tank too.

Oh yuck! D: I feel for you, Sakura. The worst part is I couldn't even see they were there until I turned on the light that I usually use on my tropical tank. It makes me wonder what's hiding in my goldy tank! :hide:

Those are gross :ill No offense of course...

You know it! :thumbdown

Ewww! I have had those too at some point! I think they are 'planaria relatives'! If you can try doing a large water change/cleaning of the tank. That should diminish the population.

I'll do that today after class. :)

I really do not think the little white ones are bad at all...could be planeria. It's the big red or black ones that are bad. These should die out on their own, or you are not keeping the tank clean enough, which has exploded the population. I agree with Captain, some water changes and removal should cut down the population.

It might be that the tank is starting to grow what looks like green/brown algae (I've never had a tank grow anything other than little white wispy "Einstein hair" algae.) So the tank looks quite dirty! :rofl

Guest Ranchu.UK

100% agree with waterfaller1

Looked online and planeria population explode if you are over feeding/algae bloom, cut back food/water change and they will eventually starve out.

Just did a 100% water change and scrubbed the walls, thermometer and heater with bleach. No little offensive white.. things to be seen.

I don't feed that much, only as the pellets say (three pellets twice a day) and Albus (the betta) seems to eat it all.. I'll just reduce it to two pellets a day (I sometimes feed him worms)

We've got those worms before in the turtle tank. It seems to occur after feeding them algae wafers. :unsure:

They're not harmful (I don't think!) and they go away pretty quickly.

Those are not harmful, clean your filter media more often, clean mulm often and don't over feed. Fish will eat them if the fish is very small. No need to scrub the tank and restart. Just up the cleaning and make sure your fish eats all the food. Watch him, if he looses interest, you'll know to reduce the food.

:) I only scrubbed the walls with bleach. I didn't need to restart my cycle at all and I never clean the filter, because it's only been running about a month, seeded from another.

Whatever they were the bleach got rid of them, and Albus never seemed to take notice of the little white lines.