Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

Are Calico Fish Like Calico Cats

In the sense that like 99% are females.

Someone asked me this today, and I do not know for sure, but my gut says no. Because one of my calico's is a male, and I cannot imagine him being rare :rofl

So does anyone else have a male calico? I have really never though about this before.

Jessica

There's two! Maybe we are the only two- and they are as rare as male calico cats! Then our Shubunkins might be very valuable! :panana

Ching-Ching, Ebay HERE I COME, just kidding, I could not hawk my male shubunkin, who is named Tammy Faye haahaahaa :lol

I am sure they must be common. I just thought it an interesting question LOL

Jessica

:rofl

My Shubunkin's name is Black Jack, a pretty well-known pirate but not as famous as Tammy Fae probably!

I have a feeling the calicos aren't that rare either, but it is a very interesting topic, I had never thought of it like that before :D

Guest Shiari

When I saw the title I first thought "Is she asking if they're evil demon spazzy monsters that would just as soon attack you as look at you? ... Nah, can't be." And I was right! XD

I don't think the color is linked sexually. Otherwise most common goldfish would all be male! Orange cats are primarily male, just as calico cats are primarily female!

my calico telescope and my calico oranda are both females :unsure:

Well that answers that then ;o)

I did not know about orange cats being mostly male, but all 3 I know, are male, now that I think about it! :lol

Jessica

i could be wrong but, this is what i was told:

a male calico with no white on him is VERY rare. i think they call calicos (male or female) with no white "tortoise shell". but, that may just be a nickname for them. you wont see to many tortoise shell calicos in your lifetime (on average) but, you will probably never see a male!

so, with that in mind, have any of you ever seen a male tortoise shell calico? im very curious!!!!! :)

Torties are black orange and cream. Calicos are black orange and white. From what they taught us in school.....

I have one (Tortie), well it was a family cat it's at my parents, and we were told he was male. We named him chester and sent him off to be neutered. Soon the vet called, there is a problem with chester....he's a she LOL LOL OMG How embarrassing is that!

So are there tortiseshell fish as well? I've never seen one of those.

Jessica

i forgot to add this:

they are usually very mottled wit several colors like peach, brown, black and orange. but they dont have any tabby stripes in there mottling. the mottling generally tends to be very jumbled too. :)

Yes that is what colour Chester is. I wish I had a picture here. She is black with orange "flecks" and she has an orange eyebrow, orange paw and a cream spot on her tummy.

I just did a search and saw a ton of calico's being called torties....ugh

Jessica

I'm pretty sure that my calico oranda is a female...if we're taking a pole or something.

Cool topic by the way.

-heather

Ok I learned this in Biology class, and I hope it's not over everyone's head, but I know the reason why calico cats are female.

For a cat (and all mammals I believe) to be female, most people know that they have to have two X chromosomes. For a male, there must be an X chromosome and a Y chromosome. (The X and Y chromosomes are called "sex chromosomes")

For cats, the coloration is on the X chromosomes in both the males and the females. This means that males only have one chromosome that codes for color, but females have TWO. Since there are two, the cat doesn't need both of them, so one of them randomly switches "off" in the cell. Because it is random, the colors on the cat will occur randomly and "patchy", creating a calico cat. So to have the cat be orange, black and white, the cat must have both of the X chromosomes (one that says "orange" and one that says "black") working in random all over the body. White color comes from a different chromosome, so it's possible with both males and females. But a male can only have the one X chromosome that says either "black" or "orange", so will be at most only two colors.

As far as fish go, I'd guess that their chromosomes for gender are different or that the color isn't on the sex chromosomes. I don't really know, but I can look into it! :)

Ok I found this website about goldfish colors which is kind of interesting.

http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfi...h/info/info.htm

It doesn't straight out say that calicos aren't all female, but it implies it by saying that when calicos are bred, only 50% are calicos and the others are pink or bronze. It doesn't say that they are necessarily male or female. ALSO (can't believe I didn't think of this at first) how could you mate two calicos unless one was male and the other was female??? Duh me! :idea