Citronella In Pond...... Help!

So this weekend my dad decided it would be a good idea to put one of those citronella lanterns beside our pond without telling anyone. Well his great idea turned out not so great when the wind picked up like crazy and knocked over the lantern which spilled some citronella into the pond!! You could see the oil a bit on the surface so i know it spilled in. Thank god i decided to not put my fish in there yet due to waiting to make sure it is cycled...... But what do i do?? I drained half of the water and refilled it and am planning on doing this a couple times but will this be enough?

If your pond filter has media in it I would get rid of it... The oil might be in the filters. I would also empty it all the way out and scrub the liners, since it seems you have a new pond, but this is all coming from someone with no experience with ponds, it's just what I'd do with a tank. :D

I'm sure someone with a more skilled intelligence concerning ponds will come along to help you soon. :heart

Oh its not new we've had it for years. It just gets to be around -40 C here in the winters so we have to take it apart in the winters and we just filled it up again a few weeks ago. But i don;t want to have to scrub out the whole thing because then i'll have to start the cycle over basically.

Oh and i don't think the media would have gotten any because the pond was turned off when it spilled in because we were using the plug in at the time. And oil floats on water so i don't think it could have seeped into the media....

Newspaper ink is safe, but you don't leave it on anyway. You just spread out the newspaper, lay it on the pond until it is soaked, then pull it off, repeating as needed.

Newspaper ink is safe, but you don't leave it on anyway. You just spread out the newspaper, lay it on the pond until it is soaked, then pull it off, repeating as needed.

Good to know.

• Admin

There is some barely in squares you can get, normally they use it to soak up phosphates and algae but it should work just the same with the oil.....

i definatly never thought about any of these ideas haha. And i don't have very much charcoal on hand so it probably wouldnt be very helpful. I'm going to try with the newpapers or paper towels when it stops raining out