Sign in to follow this  
Helen

A Recent Scare In The Stakos Tank - A Story To Share

amico swam for a solid 8 seconds today :) she's looking better. scales are totally flat, the bump under her chin is becoming smaller and she has certainly lost all the swelling.. things are looking better, but until she's swimming like normal again.. it's not over. i was upset that she wasn't taking food this morning, so i syringe fed her again.. however this afternoon, she was willing to eat on her own again.

main tank is looking Aok :)

amico swam for a solid 8 seconds today :) she's looking better. scales are totally flat, the bump under her chin is becoming smaller and she has certainly lost all the swelling.. things are looking better, but until she's swimming like normal again.. it's not over. i was upset that she wasn't taking food this morning, so i syringe fed her again.. however this afternoon, she was willing to eat on her own again.

main tank is looking Aok :)

Good job, Stakos you've have done very well indeed. Amico is still looking weak but considering her initial condition, it's a great turn around. I get this kind of dropsy from time to time in my bigger pond but not anywhere else???. They are fairly easy to treat if you catch it early. Just watch out that you don't over medicate otherwise the second time around it will be a lot harder. I hope your fish gets well soon.

Cheers

I just realized that you no longer have Amico in your sig. What happened to him?

amico sadly due to all odds against her.. the main one being that she was so heavily stunted, suffered the rust poisoning.. shortly before that she'd battled eggbound problems, never fully recovered from that before the poisoning hit.. then the poisoning.. then shortly after whilst she was showing good signs of recovery, she was eggbound again and i lost her.

i couldn't treat her with epsom again as she was only exposed to it shortly before she became eggbound the second time. however the MM's was showing small signs of helping her along. they just weren't quick enough in working for her at the rate she needed to recover.

amico survived a good 6 weeks after the rust poison ordeal.

it was a peaceful departure.. she spent the last hour of her life cupped in my hand, i am sure this offered both of us a sense of security and closure to our 5 year friendship.

she will always be sadly missed.. my sweet lil gal.

i guess the saddest part is that i never expected amico to be my first fish to lose.. i thought perhaps sir loyn with all his floaty issues.

i'd never experienced a fish to die, and certainly never expected her to be my first.

Sorry to hear that Helen :( may she RIP

Aw man.... I am so sorry Stakos. *She* (sorry I called her a he!) was so so pretty. RIP little fish.

So hard losing a pet :*(

What would rust in a UV sterilizer? There is metal in there (with all the water and all)?

oh no! I'm so sorry u lost her after so many tries. You are a great fish mom.Hugs to you!!

mj

Helen I'm so sorry. :cry1 It was so touching that you had her in your hand for her last hour. :hug Amico was a special sweetie and she had a wonderful life being cared for and loved by you. :heart :heart :heart

:rip: beautiful Amico you will be missed. :cry1

Helen I'm so sorry. :cry1 It was so touching that you had her in your hand for her last hour. :hug Amico was a special sweetie and she had a wonderful life being cared for and loved by you. :heart :heart :heart

:rip: beautiful Amico you will be missed. :cry1

thank you edith..

you know.. thoughts of you and bandit were present when i knew amico was about to go.. funny that. i guess i can never forget the dedication you showed bandit every day of his life.. such a trooper pair, the both of you :heart

you know.. thoughts of you and bandit were present when i knew amico was about to go.. funny that. i guess i can never forget the dedication you showed bandit every day of his life.. such a trooper pair, the both of you :heart

Oh Helen. :cry1 I can only imagine how hard this was for you. :heart

Im truly sorry hun..... :cry What a very special fish, I know shes swimming in that big pond :)