Sign in to follow this  
Helen

A Recent Scare In The Stakos Tank - A Story To Share

Does anyone know anything about the recent post of the person who claimed to have a treatment for dropsy? I think it is in the treatment section. Anyone have more info?

Federica, I think it's basically a combo cocktail for two/three different antibiotics to broaden the range of bacteria it will work against. However, I am a little skeptical with the claims because we all know that even if the cause of dropsy is infectious (which isn't always the case), it could be viral, bacterial or parisitic. I would stick with metronidazole for a couple of reasons: 1) it has a broad spectrum activity, 2) it is both an antibiotic and an anti-protozoal, and 3) as far as toxicity goes, it is a lot gentler that the ones listed in the cocktail. Failing that there is still the Baytril and minocycline as backups :)

Stakos, I just wanted to chime in here and say thank you for posting this! What great investigative powers you have to find the root cause for all your fishy distress. Disease doesn't come from nowhere and it's wonderful that you took the time to show us all what a little digging can uncover. I hope your fish continues to recover. :):heart

Ahhhhhhh this made me want to cry! Especially that second video! I hope Amico gets better asap! She's so lucky to have such a loving mommy D':

Rusty had dropsy twice, and no meds, Chester twice once without meds and once with. Mariko and Red also both had dropsy and were treated with meds. In all cases pineconing was all over.

It's important to remember that water parameters are not only ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH, there's a lot of other minerals etc involved in water. For example, dropsy can be caused by an increased sulphur content from stagnant water patches - do we test for it? No. In Helen's case the dropsy was likely started with the rust impurities - definitely not a type of bacteria but still causes trouble - yet nothing was showing from the test results she was doing.

Perhaps Helen's dropsy cases were caused by the rust; I guess there's no way to know for sure. In any case, she did decide to start using antibiotics as that's the only thing that worked, so it seems her experience is going along with what I'm saying.

It might have been the gunk in the UV, causing a bacterial problem, or maybe a combination of rust and bacteria. The rust could have maybe affected the fish's immune system, making them more susceptible to whatever kind of bacteria were having a party in the gunk in the UV, who knows.

The point of this topic is though to first find out what is causing your fish to dropsy, and then get rid of it, to avoid constantly having the same problem over and over again in the future and maybe even constantly losing fish. :)

And Helen, I hope they all recover quickly :) Love you! :heart

Yay really great job hun!!! This is awesome news :clapping:

Your fish are strong and the older they get the stronger they get, I'm so happy they are better and you found the culprit :thumb::heart

The point of this topic is though to first find out what is causing your fish to dropsy, and then get rid of it, to avoid constantly having the same problem over and over again in the future and maybe even constantly losing fish. :)

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Exactly!! I think that's the best thing to take from this whole discussion, if dropsy occurs it happens for a reason. You really need to recognize that and do everything you can to prevent it from reoccurring, or else you will run the very real risk of losing fish after fish.

Wow, Stakos this is an amazingly educational thread! Good job getting your fish on the road to health again, Amico is looking great. I totally agree with the theory that a lot of times something is off in the tank causing fish to dropsy. My lionhead dropsied when we got a water softener and our pH dropped pretty significantly, but I rectified the problem and she has been fine since.

I do want to pick your brain on something that went on in my own tank though. My black butterfly Luna arrived from Dandy Orandas with raised scales. It became full blown dropsy after a few days, but I managed to cure her with epsom and heat as well as Metro food. She was in great health for about a month, then it happened again. She went downhill very quickly and died last week. Would you say in this case that it was more than likely bacterial as well as shipping stress? Just wondering if you had any thoughts on that. Thanks!

thanks klep..

it really is very difficult to determine where the problem may actually be when you receive a new fish that is already ill.. normally shipping/moving stress brings bottom sitting, no apetite, frantic/scared behaviour, lethargic kinda problems.. it could be quite possible that Luna had already began a bacterial infection at DO and shipping stress caused her to pinecone. again, this is just an opinion because unless we know 100% the water/tank conditions she was previously kept in, it really is hard to say.. did you test the water that she was delivered in? when i brought Elizabeth Taylor home a few months back, i tested the water that was from the tank straight into the bag she travelled in. the drive was 12mins.. (i timed it lol) ammonia 1ppm, nitrites 0, nitrates 200+ :yikes ph 7.6.. thankfully she showed no signs of illness and hasn't since.. even through this ordeal, Elizabeth Taylor, Pork Chop, the two moors and Rocky remain unaffected with the poisoning from the UV filter. goes to show that some fish can handle a lot less than others.

both rocky and amico are now over 5 years old and heavily stunted. in the past, Rocky has had cysts pop up every now and again.. i'm pretty sure it's to do with his stunting.. Amico, a few times she'd been eggbound and only a few weeks before all this happened (hence the MetroMeds straight to her)

ok.. i am delighted to share an updated video of Amico :heart

the bump under her chin is becoming smaller :heart her scales are totally flat.. she's eating 3 x per day and wc's 3 x per day 80%, 40%, 80%

each water change is an hour after feed..

people, we have lift off! it's not much, but it's a huge improvement from video 1 :heart :heart

Yay! Great news Helen! She really looks a lot better already and the fact that she's swimming instead of hanging out upside down is great news. Keep up the good work!

thanks taylor..

here is another video of Amico.. it was taken shortly after the first one.. so most of her energy was wasted.. but it just goes to show how much of a fighter she is.. she's such a doll :heart

i should add.. epsoms are still being used and i've dropped the temp to 22 degrees C..

congratulations!! the recovery is very dramatic and gives hope to all who have experienced this problem. I have gone back and reread all that you have described . thank you.

you're welcome mikiroll, i am really excited for Amico's progress too :heart

Oh My gosh that last one made me cry ...YAY!!!! I can't even imagine how your feeling :) I am so happy for you and so thankful for all your information :)

Go Amico! I cannot agree more with your water change schedule. It is EXACTLY what I do too! Works like a charm to change the water 1hr after feeding! Most of the time it also stimulates them to poop so it is perfect :D

Do you feel like touching her bothers her at all? I know I did that a lot in the end with Dr.House to help her eat and keep her straight but I always feel a little scared of either messing up their slime or introducing nasties even with super clean hands etc.

Very impressive, Helen! Way to go! Amico's on the mend! :thumb:

Go Amico! I cannot agree more with your water change schedule. It is EXACTLY what I do too! Works like a charm to change the water 1hr after feeding! Most of the time it also stimulates them to poop so it is perfect :D

you're absolutely right with wc's = poop.. i've noticed this too!

Do you feel like touching her bothers her at all? I know I did that a lot in the end with Dr.House to help her eat and keep her straight but I always feel a little scared of either messing up their slime or introducing nasties even with super clean hands etc.

she responds well to my presence in the tank.. she would always be the first one to come to me and peck my fingers, dance around my hand and just interact...

i have so many activities for my goldfish.. 2 x per day i make them to swim laps in a 10 min session.. they are also entertained by objects in the water such as ping pong balls, fishing bobs.. sometimes i just rub garlic juice on a chopstick and they follow that around.. or just clean my hand/arm really well from body oils and allow them to interact.

i find that they've really bonded quite well and they wait for me to interact with them.. i do believe that my goldfish see me more than just the hand that feeds them.. and the feeling is mutual.. i love spending time with them. they all have their own quirky characteristics :heart

Very impressive, Helen! Way to go! Amico's on the mend! :thumb:

:angelstaf::angelstaf::angelstaf:

lets hope she keeps getting stronger :heart

i have so many activities for my goldfish.. 2 x per day i make them to swim laps in a 10 min session.. they are also entertained by objects in the water such as ping pong balls, fishing bobs.. sometimes i just rub garlic juice on a chopstick and they follow that around.. or just clean my hand/arm really well from body oils and allow them to interact.

i find that they've really bonded quite well and they wait for me to interact with them.. i do believe that my goldfish see me more than just the hand that feeds them.. and the feeling is mutual.. i love spending time with them. they all have their own quirky characteristics :heart

These are such great ideas. I will begin trying these out with mine. Thank you!

Helen! I'm so sorry I've been out of the loop!

I'm so happy to see your babies are doing so much better! I also admire how you stepped back, critically observed the situation and made the perfect treatment plan! Treating the body as a whole instead of attacking too strongly the symptoms...in the most gentle way for the fish is a stressed state. Brilliant!

I think so often in the treatment of illness, in fish or folk, the essence of the "patient's" life force is discounted. Given support during treatment, and assisting to give energy while treating in gingerly fashion is a great way to go.

I often wonder if treating too often with strong broad spectrum meds don't create super resistant bugs within the micro-environment of our tanks.

The proof is in the pudding for your approach, and if I ever find myself dealing with a fish exhibiting dropsy as a symptom of a larger issue, I'll be referring to your treatment plan to be sure!

What an amazing turnaround! Way to go....amazing work!

How do you get them to swim laps? I like that idea.

Helen I was so scared when I saw this thread tonight! :o It was heartbreaking to see the first video of Amico. :cry1 I'm so glad you managed to find the cause and you've dealt with it so well, your fish are very lucky to have you! :hug

It was great to see the latest videos of Amico swimming normally. You must be so thrilled. :9

I agree with the way you treated this, we are sometimes so quick to use harsh meds before we actually take the time to asses a situation. You remained calm, took the time to find the cause and acted quickly with the heat and epsom first so your fish would get some relief first. Then you chose the best treatment for their situation. :thumb:

These are such great ideas. I will begin trying these out with mine. Thank you!

thanks alex.. nothing more rewarding.. i have video of them from quite a few months ago demonstrating that yes, the like to follow me... so i pace up and down the length of the tank and they just follow mumma! :blink:

Helen! I'm so sorry I've been out of the loop!

I'm so happy to see your babies are doing so much better! I also admire how you stepped back, critically observed the situation and made the perfect treatment plan! Treating the body as a whole instead of attacking too strongly the symptoms...in the most gentle way for the fish is a stressed state. Brilliant!

I think so often in the treatment of illness, in fish or folk, the essence of the "patient's" life force is discounted. Given support during treatment, and assisting to give energy while treating in gingerly fashion is a great way to go.

I often wonder if treating too often with strong broad spectrum meds don't create super resistant bugs within the micro-environment of our tanks.

The proof is in the pudding for your approach, and if I ever find myself dealing with a fish exhibiting dropsy as a symptom of a larger issue, I'll be referring to your treatment plan to be sure!

thanks lola.. it was somewhat difficult to understand how easy things can go wrong. i believe in not 100% sterile environemnt for them.. because like kids, you can't expect them to build an immune system if they don't get "dirty" from time to time hey? but who expected this? always choose to treat with the basics first.. even with multiple water changes, symptoms will cease if not get better.. and if things don't happen to get better, implement plan B

What an amazing turnaround! Way to go....amazing work!

thanks amy.. they just follow!.. LOL.. i walk laps so they can follow.. i was getting a little tired of seeing them huddled at one side of the tank.. there is soooo much room for them to swim in.. and most are big fish.. so i encouraged them to "walk" with me... now, it's a daily routine, directly after i let them play "who wants to sit in the cupped hand" :rofl !!

since all this, i found that they no longer beg for food 24/7.. and i learned that they do actually want to interact. pork chop stares at me, for such a large telescope, i found that her eyesite is actually pretty good :D and she can spot me from quite a distance.. (happy dance begins from about half way in the room to the tank)

Helen I was so scared when I saw this thread tonight! :o It was heartbreaking to see the first video of Amico. :cry1 I'm so glad you managed to find the cause and you've dealt with it so well, your fish are very lucky to have you! :hug

It was great to see the latest videos of Amico swimming normally. You must be so thrilled. :9

I agree with the way you treated this, we are sometimes so quick to use harsh meds before we actually take the time to asses a situation. You remained calm, took the time to find the cause and acted quickly with the heat and epsom first so your fish would get some relief first. Then you chose the best treatment for their situation. :thumb:

edith!, i've missed you so!.. i'm so glad you've stopped by :bounce .. thank you for your kind words :heart i hope you're well :hug

Fantastic news that Amico is swimming abouwe the floor. :Congrats:

thanks amy.. they just follow!.. LOL.. i walk laps so they can follow.. i was getting a little tired of seeing them huddled at one side of the tank.. there is soooo much room for them to swim in.. and most are big fish.. so i encouraged them to "walk" with me... now, it's a daily routine, directly after i let them play "who wants to sit in the cupped hand" :rofl !!

since all this, i found that they no longer beg for food 24/7.. and i learned that they do actually want to interact. pork chop stares at me, for such a large telescope, i found that her eyesite is actually pretty good :D and she can spot me from quite a distance.. (happy dance begins from about half way in the room to the tank)

It took me 3.5 years to make Godzilla not be afraid of me. Sitting in my hand is not something that will ever happen though. I think. They've spent to much time 'in the wild'

My fish play in the current of the filters. It is like kids in a 'wild water' pool. Weeeee, I'm somersaulting and floating upside down :rofl They love it. Must post a movie of it one day.