Sign in to follow this  
misthercleen

Underwater Filters Vs. Power Filters

does anyone know if underwater filters are actually effective..? would underwater fluval work for a indoor rubber maid 100 gallon? is there a way to rig a power filter onto a rubbermaid? if underwater filters aren't effective for goldfish would you recommend something else?

I'm assuming that when you say underwater filters, your talking about internal power filters or undergravel filters. Regardless, I would not recommend either one of these for a 100 gallon. I would recommend that you get at least 2 filters for a rubbermaid of that size. I would recommend 2 canisters or a canister and a HOB filter.

Edited by deadhead324

when you say underwater filter do you mean like a canister or an under gravel filter? Any way I think HOB's and canisters are the best but an undergravel filter is in efficient for goldfish and two filters would be great for your rubber maid.

Edited by Golden fishy

I also am not sure exactly what you mean by underwater filter, but if you are referring to undergravel filters, I would not use one.

i have two of these running in it. i am not totally ignorarant, most people know undergravel is out of date. if i had meant undergravel or power filter o hang on back filter i would have said so. i said underwater. i am very discouraged, the water looks unhealthy.

fluval-u2.jpg

Edited by misthercleen

Sorry to hear that the fish are not healthy at the moment. I don't have any experience with the underwater filters, so I can't tell you how well they work as a class of filters. However, you can evaluate their effectiveness in your system by looking at the water parameters and how clean the water is...what are the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? Also do you have a lot of accumulated fish poop and other debris? If the filtering system is working approriately, you shouldn't see much of that.

i have two of these running in it. i am not totally ignorarant, most people know undergravel is out of date. if i had meant undergravel or power filter o hang on back filter i would have said so. i said underwater. i am very discouraged, the water looks unhealthy.

fluval-u2.jpg

I apologize for the ignorance in my response, I was unaware they called the filter an underwater filter. If I am correct, it appears to be the same thing as an internal power filter. According to the box, it says that the filter has a gph rating of 105. For 100 gallons of water, you should have no less than 1,000 gph. Therefore, even having 2 of the filters you have on there now would not be enough for the rubbermaid.

I agree. Your filter(s) needs to turn over at least 10x the volume of your tank/tub. For 100 gallons, you'll need a filtration system that when combined gives you 1000+ gph, as deadhead324 had indicated in his post above.

I've used those in my planted 10g tropical tank and to me they seem barely effective even for that use. I tried it because I wanted something that had minimal surface agitation since I was running DIY co2. I replaced it with an Aquaclear hob because the internal took up too much space in the tank, and it was a pain in the #$% to get to the pads to clean them. Plus the pads seemed to clog up very quickly, but that may have been due to the heavy plant and moderate fish load I had at the time.

I've used them too. Personally don't like underwater filters/internals as they take up so much space inside the tank and lifting them out to clean releases debris.

It's great you are asking around before deciding!! :)