Sign in to follow this  
CatfishSoup

Dosing With Aquarium Salt

i remember reading on how to dose GF but that was many months ago and now trying to find the old threads.. i cant.

so quick thing,

im trying to heal a black moore with a swim bladdder problem.. been like this for months and i have tried other ways of curing it.. but no luck. he refuses to give up, and all i havent tried is salt.. it may be late, but i at least want to try.

so what is the ratio.. like how many tea/table spoons of aquarium salt per gallon?

do i dose once every weekly water change?

The rate is 1 TEAspoon per gallon.

After 12 hours you can add ANOTHER 1 TEAspoon per gallon (2tsp/gal total).

I wouldn't go higher than that for floaty issues.

DO NOT add more salt every water change. You want to add ONLY the amount of salt that you took out. If you do a 50% water change, you will add HALF of the total salt back in to the water.

Only keep the salt in the tank for a few weeks. Using it long term will only lead to problems down the road.

If you wouldn't mind, can you recap all the things that you have tried? Maybe someone with a different perspective will be able to catch something you missed. :)

The rate is 1 TEAspoon per gallon.

After 12 hours you can add ANOTHER 1 TEAspoon per gallon (2tsp/gal total).

I wouldn't go higher than that for floaty issues.

DO NOT add more salt every water change. You want to add ONLY the amount of salt that you took out. If you do a 50% water change, you will add HALF of the total salt back in to the water.

Only keep the salt in the tank for a few weeks. Using it long term will only lead to problems down the road.

If you wouldn't mind, can you recap all the things that you have tried? Maybe someone with a different perspective will be able to catch something you missed. :)

thanks for the quick reply!

and i tried aquarisol * i beleive thats what its called, its a mild med, which treats a bunch of stuff.. including that. also tried fasting, and peas as well. bunch of water changes as well. nothing. so, my only hope is that the salt will do stuff..

does the salt dissolve? or does it just sit in the tank? what if they eat it?

You will need to fully dissolve the salt in a cup of water BEFORE putting it in your tank.

How long did you keep your fish on peas? How long did you fast it?

You will need to fully dissolve the salt in a cup of water BEFORE putting it in your tank.

How long did you keep your fish on peas? How long did you fast it?

peas i tried for about 3 days. with some fasting.

i tried 1 week fast, even pushed it to 2 weeks once, but nothing.