Sign in to follow this  
Guest loverofgoldies

Is Flake Or Pellets Better For Goldfish?

Guest loverofgoldies

Which is better? flakes or pellets as goldfish food?

I personally prefer pellets because they are not as messy as flakes and they can be bought in a sinking form, so they don't have to be pre-soaked.

Pellets are much better in nutritional value. Flakes often lose their vitamins as you soak them and encourage surface gulping.

Pellets all the way imo ;)

They tend not to cause floatiness, or encourage goldies to surface gulp. Besides, I as well believe them to be less messy.

Edited by Kateana

Guest loverofgoldies

Thanks for the info everyone:O)

I have Nutrafin Max color enhancing pellets. It says they are sinking pellets, but it takes a while for them to sink. Also, my goldfish sometimes do not see them. Is it bad if they sink to the bottom? If they sink to the bottom, how long can they be there before becoming toxic? Any ideas?

I have Nutrafin Max color enhancing pellets. It says they are sinking pellets, but it takes a while for them to sink. Also, my goldfish sometimes do not see them. Is it bad if they sink to the bottom? If they sink to the bottom, how long can they be there before becoming toxic? Any ideas?

I feed my fish with sinking gel good pieces, and prior to that sinking pellets. You want to avoid flakes and floating pellets, as floating things encourage surface air gulping, which can and most likely lead to floaty issues.

My goldfish have no problems finding all the food pieces within a minute. However, if you have substrate, you should make sure to vacuum the gravel/substrate every water change and possibly in between water changes. You may also want to select a substrate that doesn't allow food to get trapped in the substrate bed, or you can have a bare bottom tank. :)

If I can only choose one of these two choices, I'd have to say pellets, although I'm gel food all the way. Have almost never fed anything else.