Wal Mart Tanks...

Guest PandaCake

Guest PandaCake

So my Mom and I went to wal mart today to get some storage tupperware.

I was curious to see how bad the fish selection was this time around [because it's been a looong time since I've been to a wal mart] and sure enough, the tanks were completely drained out.

There wasn't a fish to be seen.

I'm guessing people either complained enough to get wal mart to stop selling live fish-- OR

they're low on "stock" and are waiting for a shipment? [which I seriously doubt]

But I was truly relieved to see that they had cleaned out/drained every single one of their "death trap" tanks.

It was really heart breaking to see more than half of the fish just-dead and floating about in the tank..that and watching other fish eat the liveless was another level of disturbance.

But yeah! Just thought I'd post this in regards to it being good news. Has anyone else had this happen to their wal mart too? I'm curious if it's just in my area or if the whole company is done selling live fish...

That's good! I know the one where Kathy got her two black moors was shutting down too. The fish section I mean. These two fish were the only ones left in the store, so Kathy took them :D

The "new" store that opened here in town a couple years ago, never even had a fish section. I assume that there really were so many complaints, and I also think that they weren't really making much money on live fish. That new store has a pet section, and sells fish supplies such as tanks, decoration, food etc, but no live animals.

I wouldn't be surprised, considered how many dead animals you saw in there all the time, many people probably decided NOT to buy there. Then the losses from the dead fish etc etc.

Additionally all the customer complaints.

I hope they stop doing that in general. And I am not trying to say it's RIGHT how Wally World treats the fish, but my hubby works at this new store and the things he tells me about what's going on there. Cutting down on employees, having them do more than one job and so on. And they don't even have an actual "fish-employee". The person responsible for the pet section takes care of the fish, but they have to take care of so much, from ordering, stocking, back stock, customer service etc that they literally have no time.

There's a reason why you always have to SEARCH for someone to FIND someone for you to help you if you need live fish. I remember when I bought a fish (that unfortunately died within 24 hours, it was such a pretty white fantail), they had a STOCKER help me. That poor guy was completely freaked out over having to catch a fish for me, so I offered to catch him myself. You should have seen the relief in the guy's face when he handed me the net. So he was basically just supervising me that I write the correct PLU on the bag etc.

So what I'm trying to say it is not even the PEOPLE that work there. It is how companies are being run, less people, less money, less time, more work. And then the poor live fish at Wally World have to pay a high toll for the company's greed.

I do hope they shut it down. I just hate nnnnnn fish sections and I avoid them at all costs. Imo, you shouldn't be able to shop and purchase a pet at the same time. :(

The one around the corner from me looks as if it never had a fish section to begin with. :) They do sell bettas in cups, but I've only ever seen them there twice.. :unsure:

the other one farther from me does have a fish section but the few fish they had seemed to be doing okay and they sold common "feeder" goldfish, but they weren't nearly as crammed in as the ones at the pet store are with tons of dead fish and other goldies just zooming around in packs.

I remember when I was younger I went to a w@llyworld in WV and they had a HUGE section, rows upon rows of fish, and for what they had the fish were never too bad off. Sure there were a couple of floaters, but the only thing offensive about the section was the fishy smell and the occasional drips of water from where the employees had got a fish out of the tank. They eventually took it out, though.

I don't think any of the Wal Marts around me carry fish anymore. Last I checked they didn't. It's for the better though, unless they would actually hire a person that knew what they were doing and cared about the fish. Don't see that happening anytime soon however.

There's one by me that still sells fish. One time i was in there looking at their fish decor and i heard someone tell her kid(who was really quite obnoxious)that if he behaved she would buy him a fish. :krazy::doh11: This is why Wally World shouldn't sell fish!! uninformed people just buy them on a whim

Edited by Alexandra13

Well, the same thing happens in a pet store... People go in looking for some small item, their kids get interested in the fish and if they "behave" they get a "feeder" goldie, chuck'em in a bowl and call it a day.. :(

The wally worlds around me never had a fish section. There was one about 3 miles away from me when I was a young child. My dad and I always bought fish from them, mostly guppies, bettas and goldfish. I remember their fish section as an amazing place, so they must have been the only WM that actually looked after their fish. And we could always get help.

The one here in Tampa shut down too. I always felt bad for the fish they sold but also for the people. There's already a lot on their mind and its difficult to maintain the fish secion on top of it. I'm not saying theyre right to neglect the animals, I can just see it from their perspective too. But its best they remove the tanks and lets the lfs take care of the goldfish and their loving/neurotic owners. ;)

I think it was last year or so I read somewhere that Walmarts were going to be shutting down the live fish sections. In all stores. I think they had to finish out contracts is why it didn't happen right away. It's just as well. I hope they never sell another betta or a poor hermit crab in a little cup either. :(

Guest PandaCake

That's good! I know the one where Kathy got her two black moors was shutting down too. The fish section I mean. These two fish were the only ones left in the store, so Kathy took them :D

The "new" store that opened here in town a couple years ago, never even had a fish section. I assume that there really were so many complaints, and I also think that they weren't really making much money on live fish. That new store has a pet section, and sells fish supplies such as tanks, decoration, food etc, but no live animals.

I wouldn't be surprised, considered how many dead animals you saw in there all the time, many people probably decided NOT to buy there. Then the losses from the dead fish etc etc.

Additionally all the customer complaints.

I hope they stop doing that in general. And I am not trying to say it's RIGHT how Wally World treats the fish, but my hubby works at this new store and the things he tells me about what's going on there. Cutting down on employees, having them do more than one job and so on. And they don't even have an actual "fish-employee". The person responsible for the pet section takes care of the fish, but they have to take care of so much, from ordering, stocking, back stock, customer service etc that they literally have no time.

There's a reason why you always have to SEARCH for someone to FIND someone for you to help you if you need live fish. I remember when I bought a fish (that unfortunately died within 24 hours, it was such a pretty white fantail), they had a STOCKER help me. That poor guy was completely freaked out over having to catch a fish for me, so I offered to catch him myself. You should have seen the relief in the guy's face when he handed me the net. So he was basically just supervising me that I write the correct PLU on the bag etc.

So what I'm trying to say it is not even the PEOPLE that work there. It is how companies are being run, less people, less money, less time, more work. And then the poor live fish at Wally World have to pay a high toll for the company's greed.

It is defiantly good news! but now that I've read this from your husbands own personal work experience- it all seems to tie together. Even if they didn't make very much money off of their fish, it was obviously because they can't keep them healthy enough for people to buy them in the first place... but I see exactly what you mean. I've bought 4 baby comets there [2 one day and 2 the other] and all 4 of them died the next day. you know,when something like that happens it sucks--even if they were only 13 cents. I bought the comets I have now from PS and they're still alive and kickin butt. such a huge difference... haha! sounds like a fun experience though. I remember going through something similar at PS. The man working there couldn't figure out which Comet I wanted; so, he gave the net to me and I caught my own. C: Very fun!

Defiantly...This is best though. :]

Guest PandaCake

I do hope they shut it down. I just hate nnnnnn fish sections and I avoid them at all costs. Imo, you shouldn't be able to shop and purchase a pet at the same time. :(

I agree with you 100%! Looks like it's happing nationwide!

Guest PandaCake

The one around the corner from me looks as if it never had a fish section to begin with. :) They do sell bettas in cups, but I've only ever seen them there twice.. :unsure:

the other one farther from me does have a fish section but the few fish they had seemed to be doing okay and they sold common "feeder" goldfish, but they weren't nearly as crammed in as the ones at the pet store are with tons of dead fish and other goldies just zooming around in packs.

I remember when I was younger I went to a w@llyworld in WV and they had a HUGE section, rows upon rows of fish, and for what they had the fish were never too bad off. Sure there were a couple of floaters, but the only thing offensive about the section was the fishy smell and the occasional drips of water from where the employees had got a fish out of the tank. They eventually took it out, though.

Really? They still sell bettas in a cup here too. Maybe because they can just toss them on a shelf and they can survive in that small amount of water/space for awhile.

Really? I honestly can never remember a time where wal mart had a good selection of fish and healthy ones at that. :no: Ahh I see. D: I'm glad they fixed that problem.

Guest PandaCake

There's one by me that still sells fish. One time i was in there looking at their fish decor and i heard someone tell her kid(who was really quite obnoxious)that if he behaved she would buy him a fish. :krazy::doh11: This is why Wally World shouldn't sell fish!! uninformed people just buy them on a whim

Augh! I can't tell you how many times I've seen that happen too! people just aren't aware of how much time/effort and money it costs to have a pet fish. It's more then just tossing them in a bowel and calling it a day. :veryangry:

This is good news! The Wallys around here never sold fish, that I remember. It stands to reason, though, that a department store wouldn't have a great environment for fish.

I've actually never seen a Wally fish section! :)

Wow!! Really?! Might I say you're very lucky! :D

Yeah, every time I see these horror stories I thank my lucky stars. They sound so sad...

Huh. My Wally World didn't look like they were going to stop selling fish soon, but I had never thought of it as a death trap. The fish section was right next to the weird greenhouse-y section, and three people took care of both. All of them were always very nice and seemed to genuinely care about the fish and the plants that were under their supervision! I think I've only seen one or two dead fish floating in the tanks in the past couple of years.

It was always a very popular place to find your fish, the only problem I ever had with it was the fact that they only sold two sizes of tanks- tiny 10 gallon tanks, or huuuuuge 55 gallon tanks. It never really mattered to me, because I never had fish before now, but I always thought it was silly.

Truthfully though, I haven't been to Wally World in about a month, so who knows? Wal*Mart is a big corporation but it seems to thrive off of having each of their stores exactly the same. I wouldn't be surprised to find the fish section absent next time I go.

Only one walmart here sells fish and it is very nice. They keep the tanks clean and free of dead fish. They have now even moved the betta's so they don't get messed with as much as they use too.

I never been to wal mart but so far I haven't heard much good the fish section in my country{new zealand} theirs laws so theirs check ups and you can lose your animal selling license I'm horrified by the condition.

The Wal mart nearest me sells fish, and the condition of the tanks and fish varies from time to time, but it's comparable to Pets mart and way better than Pet co which is gross. For some reason, this store has some of the most beautiful shubunkins I have seen locally. I have three of them and all have been perfectly healthy.

All of the nnnnnnn in my area have taken out their live fish. Out of the 8 or so stores, I think one might still have fish, but it has been several months since I have been there. On the plus side, my 3 commons are from the "feeder tank". I bought them 8 years ago and they are still going strong. Another comet from the same store passed away recently after over 7 years.