Goldfish Breeding?

Smurfishy

Today I decided to put a barricade up using a tote top after their water change to see if this would give them enough of a time out to adjust to the new water and not bully my big fish. I only did this when I saw tears in the big ones tail fin and then noticed the little ones non-chalantly sucking in a mouthful. I have been trying to find something more definitive on how to sex goldfish and decided today to try finding researching a little more when I came upon this picture that finally made me understand.

goldfish-sexing.jpg

After having them in the time out for awhile and I had some sleep, I work third, I decided to lift the barricade. They started straight away, slowly, to creep back to the big fish, surrounding it AGAIN, and then one of them went after the tail fin AGAIN which was the last draw and I put the barricade back in place. I took this time to try sexing them. I am almost entirely sure that the big one is a girl (pinky), the three orange are boys. I only slightly question the long finned orange (the brain) as to possibly being a girl, but my last consensus was boy. Then I notice tiny lil dandruff like dots on the bottom.... oh my. I decided for shiggles to try to collect some. Its harder than it sounds! Unfortunately I had to get back to sleep. I think I saved 2, they are hanging out in a Tupperware container. Wednesday there were thunderstorms and the next state over in Massachusetts had those crazy tornadoes and I read somewhere that weather could have something to do with it. Pinky was head standing that night, I checked params, they were off assumed that was the cause. Any ideas on how to get more? I was using a baby syringe turkey baster looking thing. Will separating them like I have, give any ill effects? The vid below is from yesterday, possible mating behavior?

th_Video06022011123659.jpg

Edited by Smurfishy

oy, I am going to put the girl in the rubbermaid tub, they are being relentless and have learned how to barge through the divider!!

poor thing :( has she always had those missing scales?

to collect the eggs you can put plants or floss in the tank to then remove with the eggs.

I wouldn't use the turkey baster if you plan on trying your hand at raising fry. The eggs are extremely delicate, and even the slightest touch can keep the fish inside from developing properly.

I moved this thread so it could get more attention. :)

I got her a month ago, I wasn't sure if those were missing scales or just transparent ones. Although I did find a scale of hers while doing a wc in the last few days. I took a better look and all three orange fish have breeding stars! Whatever I saw yesterday was not eggs, right after I got home from work this morning I look and the bottom of the tank was just full of them. The water was all mucked up as well so I set about doing a water change, for the most part the eggs stayed put. I took out a few of the river rocks with eggs on them. I have about 20 or more in a small tupperware container now. When do you think it will be safe to introduce pinky back? I wonder if she is more stressed in the tote or with being chased around by 3 horny boys!

Awesome! I can just make out the eggs. :) Congrats, Granny! :P

Does the tote that Pinky is in have holes for water movement? If not then I would say definitely put her back in the tank. If it does, no harm in keeping her in there. :)

Its a tote, it holds water, I got a bubble strip, she's never had a filter but its coming soon, I don't have it covered. I think this should work right? I am confused by your water movement term. Do you mean if i got it inside the tank? Nah, Its like a 20g tote completely out of the tank.

Gotcha. I thought you had her floating in the tank.

I would get her a filter ASAP, she will need it.

I am going to take some of the cloudy water and put it in with the eggs just to make sure they get fertilized, if they haven't already. They are in a smallish tupperware bowl, I use it sometimes for cereal, I am thinking this is good enough for awhile right? Before they hatch I plan on doing a water change so they are born into clean water. A few hours after I do their water change I plan on re-adding pinky.

If the eggs aren't fertilized by now, they won't be. The eggs are only viable for a very short time after they are laid.

Does your tank smell funny? If so, that's milt!

Make sure you keep your temperature stable, and Pinky should be left alone. :)

I don't know, the boys are still acting like antelope in mating season. They are synchronized swimming in large circles around the tank in a very frenzy fashion. Odd thing is they keep ending up pointing straight toward the girl's tote and bumping into that corner of the glass like they might make it through. One of them looks as though he got punched in the mouth! They are not in a position to see her either!

The tank does smell rather... fishy if you ask me!

Edited by Smurfishy

oh I am sure the params are off, no filter and had to move to uncycled tank after thier tank sprung a leak, doing 50-80% wc everyday, sometimes more than once a day. They have calmed down some now, need to get a bit more sleep then I will do w/c and test and all that jazz. Its def not normal tank stuff though... there are big bubbles that don't pop unless you manually pop em on the water surface! I am sorry that I am such a school girl about this but eww!