Tanks: Covered Or Not?

I've been thinking about this lately b/c of a recent thread-do you keep your tanks open on top or have them covered? I tend to cover mine so that whatever particles in the air don't get in there.BUT,my pond is certainly open,and I don't give that a second thoughtunsure.gifWhat do you guys do?

I leave half of the glass cover on the top of the tanks- just enough to provide support for the light strip. But the rest is open to the air. I read on Goldfish Connection that this is healthier- better air exchange.

All my freshwater tanks are covered but my saltwater tanks are open top. :unsure: No real reason for that except that the freshwater tanks came with a cover and the saltwater tanks have lights that will overheat a covered tank.

Mostly covered, but there is quite a big gap in the lid (around 4cm x 4cm) where the wires for the internal filters go through, so air can certainly get in.

I think having a lid is better because 1) no dirt from the air in the room gets into the water (there is more than what one might think - if you don't wipe your table or desk surface for a month you would see the sheer amount of dust and dirty that's accumulated there); 2) goldfish occasionally do jump out of the water!!

If you are worried about aeration you can use an air pump or venturi device for the filter.

I don't think it's a good idea to have a completely tight lid without any opening though.

Edited by Iseul

I keep my tanks covered except for the filters, mainly to keep the fish from jumping out. My single tails, have apparently tried a few times over the years. I would suspect it when I would hear a thump from the tank and see them acting a bit stunned. That or something spooked them and they swam into the wall. Also it helps cut down on evaporation.

It's safer to keep it open for a while if you are also in the same room.

Goldfish do occasionally jump out of water, it's not an "urban myth".

Better safe than sorry!

Here ya go guys... this is why I don't fully cover my goldfish aquariums.

Full Covers on your Goldfish Aquariums

Good or Bad?

I received a phone call from a very experience Goldfish Collector. She has six goldfish aquariums, five filled with healthy, happy goldfish. Her problem was, the goldfish in the sixth goldfish aquarium never acted healthy. All six goldfish aquariums had the same food, same water, no new goldfish or plants added. No matter what she did to help them nothing worked . After about twenty minutes talking with her she mentioned that the "sick goldfish aquarium" had a "full cover" the other five goldfish aquariums did not. To make matters worse the cover it was made of wood. I told her to remove the cover and do a 95% water change. Within three days her goldfish became very active and were just as healthy as all the goldfish in her other five goldfish aquariums.

The problem was the condensation from the goldfish aquarium was collecting on the inside of the cover. As the condensation collected it formed toxic drops, caused by the treatment of the wood and the gases that were being released from her aquarium water. These toxic drops dripped back into her aquarium water causing a health problem to her goldfish.

This is not the first case I've seen where a "full cover" on a goldfish aquarium has caused health problems. Regardless of what the "full top" is made of, it is not healthy for goldfish, because the "gases" must escape from the bottom of your goldfish aquarium water, not be trapped and returned to to your aquarium. Even if you open just half of the "full cover" would be a big help.

Rick

Edit: here's the link http://goldfishconnection.com/articles/details.php?articleId=183&parentId=1

Edited by Sakura

I have a glass cover with gaps by the filter and the front. The glass is mainly to keep the water from getting to the lights but also to discourage the fish from jumping out. That's never happened before, but Bobby is definitely capable of jumping at least half way out of the water...he does that when I hold food a few inches above the surface of the water.