Sign in to follow this  
Charms

Gel Or Pellet Foods For Floaty Prone Goldfish..

I have a ryukin and a fantail in my big tank and a little goldie in QT right now. Both of my bigger goldie's have had floating issues... the most recent being the fantail getting floaty from the Hikari Oranda pellets. I know sinking are better NOW but when I bought them I didn't know better... I was soaking the pellets first but it seems like I'd go thru the fasting/pea routine and the first day back on pellets I'd come home to find floaters...

I did go thru the gel food pinned topics and thru this forum and made a gel food. Small batch made of peas, broccoli, yellow squash, peppers and tuna... and while they love it after a few days I noticed both were sitting at the bottom constantly. When you go in and they see you they snap into action begging for food and following me around. But after about 10min of no activity in the room they both gravitate to the same corner to bottom sit. (My hubby was like 'What are you doing peeping into the bedroom?!' 'SPYING ON MY FISH!!') So I'm starting to think something is wrong... go thru the forums again and from What I've read I start thinking that I haven't seen a lot of poop lately, and am quizzing my husband on goldfish poop sightings... the things we do for our fish. Anyways so I gave them each a piece of pea w/ 1 grain of Epsom salts, did that 3 times and continued to feed just peas for the past 3 days and now their like pooping machines again... so pellets make them float and the fell food I made caused them to be heavy, bottom sit and be constipated...

So after reading all this... my point is that I'd like recommendations on foods and recipe's... Thanks in advance! Everyone is always so helpful here!! I'm so thankful I found Koko's!! xoxo

Why I like to use for gel food is frozen food. I usually do 2 packets of gelatin (Plain kind) this makes it very sturdy and less watery, hikari sinking pellets, frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, peas, and shrimp pellets, as well as any other hikari goldfish food for the base. It worked really well for me.

Edited by Haruka

OK cool. And that's a nutritious enough staple diet that can be fed all the time? ;-)

And how much do you typically make? Like how much mix per 1 packet of the gelatin? I don't want to use too much gelatin.. and I read that its bad to heat the gelatin in the microwave.

I usually didn't feed them gel food all the time but maybe 3 times a week. It should be good because it has a lot of variety and protein.

I usually used about a 3/4-1/2 cup of food. I honestly don't think I measured it, but a little goes a long way.

I basically used a variant version of Post #4 here http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2269-gel-food/page__view__findpost__p__30892

Edited by Haruka
Forgot one reply

Heating the gelatin in the microwave is fine. The only thing is that most people add acidophilus (a probiotic) to their gel food to help with digestion, and you can't microwave the acidophilus. So you just heat the gelatin, wait for it to cool down a little bit, and then add the acidophilus. It sounds like your fish could benefit from adding acidophilus since you say the gel food made them constipated. You can find it at any grocery store in the supplements/vitamins section.

And how much do you typically make? Like how much mix per 1 packet of the gelatin? I don't want to use too much gelatin.. and I read that its bad to heat the gelatin in the microwave.

I just figured an alternative out, although the preparation is a bit of a pain in the rear.

You can substitute part of the gelatin with EGG WHITE. Just for trying I made a small batch the other day and it turned out pretty decent. Not quite as awesome as I hoped, but considering it contained much less gelatin than normal, I was very happy with it.

I made it like this:

2.5oz jar babyfood carrots

3.5oz jar babyfood peas

1 whole egg

2 egg whites

1 packet gelatin

1 multivitamin tablet (crushed)

1 acidophilus tablet (crushed)

garlic powder

powdered cuttle fish bone (just scraped on it with a spooon)

Beat the eggs with the vitamins, acidophilus and cuttle fish bone in a bowl, with a fork

Mix the babyfood with the garlic powder and microwaved it to get it hot. Stir in packet of gelatin, stir very well. If you have to, microwave it another 30 seconds.

Stir eggs and babyfood/gelatin mix in a microwavable bowl together, as good as you can and as quick as you can, try to blend it as well as possible.

Microwave it for a couple minutes until the egg is fully cooked.

Chill, cut, freeze.

The cooked egg white acts similar to the gelatin, keeping the stuff together, while at the same time acting as a great source of protein.

In the future I want to try this on a larger scale, with some fresh cooked, ground up fish additionally mixed in.

The fish liked it very much, and I am sure that the reduced gelatin content will help the fish getting floaty less :)

I'm going to try this recipe on Sunday Fang!! I'll let you know how mine turns out - I'm not a whiz in the kitchen so... ;-)

I'm going to try this recipe on Sunday Fang!! I'll let you know how mine turns out - I'm not a whiz in the kitchen so... ;-)

Lol ok! It's a bit of a pain in the rear when mixing together. The heated babyfood starts to make the egg white partially firm WHILE you try to mix it together. But overall it turned out pretty decent.

Hey where can I get the Cuttle fish bone?? Can I sub like calcium powder in for that?

You can get cuttlefish bone at the pet store in the birds section.

I attempted to make the recipe supplied by Fang and while I'm not sure what its supposed to look or be like I don't think this is it (*sighs dramaticly*)...

Gelfood.jpg

gelfood2.jpg

I swear I followed the recipe exactly (except I had no cuttle bone fish, but I did have everything else) and all seemed well until the last step 'microwave it for a couple of minutes until the egg is fully cooked.. It looked like an omelet gone wrong and then I stirred (in hind sight maybe I shouldn't have??) and now its this weird scrambled eggs gone wrong consistency.. so I still flattened it out and put it in the fridge to set but am not sure I should even consider feeding it to my fish... Any ideas on what I did wrong here? I'm more than willing to try again, with more directions maybe?? I need something else to feed my fish than peas and shrimp... OMG HELP PLEASE!!!

Edited by Charms

Umm... mine looked differently. Let me go find the picture. After mine settled, it looked like really nasty looking pudding/jello. Then I cut it in cubes.

The second photo is more color accurate.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/EileenGalvin/eggwhitegelfood01.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/EileenGalvin/eggwhitegelfood02.jpg

I wasn't sure what to do when it looked like that so (stupidly) i stirred it. The eggs cooked fully I think. Do you think I could feed it or should I make another batch??