Pear Has Problems..

Vee

Well, I thought I'd post this here, seeing as the fish seems in no imminent danger.

Recently I bought my lovely goldie pear from the pet store, though I knew he had ich. I knew how to treat for it, so I proceeded to put pear in a tank by him/herself, and added salt. I had never seen the actual ich on my fish, but it's been ten days and I don't see a spot of ich on him, so I've been reducing the salt to 2 (the second-level dosage, I can never remember how to write it out, though. :rolleyes: )

Everything seemed okay until a couple of days ago. I thought maybe Pear was bored because I took out the fake plants while doing a water change and now all Pear has is gravel and a terracotta pot along with a couple of seashells to balance the low pH that was in the tank, but now I wonder if it's becoming a problem. S/He seems to sit at the bottom for long periods of time, but if you give him/her food or pay attention long enough s/he'll get up and zoom around the tank, eating as much as possible or just swimming around.

I looked at him/her just a minute ago and now his/her tail seems to be fraying with possible tears. :(

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? Between 0 and 5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? I don't have it on hand, but I'm pretty sure it's close to 7.6

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master

[*]Water temperature? 78 (though it varies, depending on how long the heater stays on, but its usually around there, It's so high in order to treat for ich.)

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30g, about a month, but it the filter was pre-running and all the media is seeded.

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Whisper EX30, (I know, not enough for a goldie, but it was originally a tropical tank until I put them into the other tropical tank for Pear's QT.)

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? I check the water every couple of days and change the water before the nitrates go over 20. I always change over 50% of the water, usually around 75 or so.

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much? The last change was on the 26th, and I changed over 50% of the water (not sure how much)

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? Just Pear and he's barely bigger than my pinky.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? I've been using Tetra's Aquasafe until I can get to the petstore to buy more Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? I've been feeding Pear Omega One pellets, twice sometimes three times a day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No one other than Pear

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Salt (to the second recommended dose)

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Frayed fins, no signs of the ich that the rest of his tankmates at the petstore had

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Pear will sit at the bottom for long periods of time until you go over to the tank for long enough or feed him/her, but has a healthy appetite and eats everything given.

If you guys need I'll go take some pictures, though it doesn't look like anything other than some frayed caudal fins. :idont

From your description it sounds like Pear is plain bored. The behavior you tell us here is just like Wakka when he is bored. The only thing is the tears in the fins, are they big or just really little?

A picture might really help a little bit :)

Here are some pictures, the tears are not too bad... :(

Every time I get a fish with some nice fins they get bent or torn. :no:

IMAG0208.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

Those were the best pictures I could get..

Considering there are no other fish in there except Pear, I'd guess the tears were caused by Finrot. They don't look to be healing, but rather deteriorating. No red streaks is good though. I wouldn't know what to suggest for treatment for sure if my diagnosis is correct, but perhaps just plently of clean water and extra gravel vacuuming (if you have gravel, that is) would do it. Hopefully Fang or a Mod/Helper will drop in to give you better advice! :)

Oh no.. I hope it's not finrot. I don't know the first thing about it.. off to google while I wait.. :(

Edit---

If it's fin rot I think another fish in a separate aquarium might have the beginning stages as well.. the ends of his caudal fins are lightening, but I thought it due to a color change he's going through.. he's turning white, I think. :no:

Edited by Vee

Oh Vee, I hope its not as well. :k055: I could well be wrong. I just can't think of anything else that would cause fin fraying like that. Perhaps since she spends so much time on the bottom, that's what induced the problem if it is Finrot. Try not to be too scared of the idea of Finrot. It's usually easily treatable with plenty of water changes and gravel vacuuming if gravel is involved. Though I know it's been used to treat Finrot, I won't recommend salt treatment personally 'cause I've never used it om my kids and I wouldn't know the proper dosing off the top of my head.

I don't mind using salt, I find it easy and there's salt in the tank now as well to try and treat the ich.. There is gravel in the tank.. I do vacuum it at every wc, but maybe I'm not doing it thoroughly enough..

Yeah, I just don't trust gravel at all. I'm bare-bottom all the way! I just hope someone more helpful will post soon. If need be, you could PM Sakura, Koko, Imo (Trinket) etc. to try and get a quicker response.

Edited by Kateana

Well the fish isn't in any major trouble at the moment, other than the fins are frayed.. I guess I should do a water change now, just to err on the side of caution while I wait..

Good idea, I'd do the same. ;)

You know what, another idea I just had about her concerning my theory of Finrot caused by prolonged bottom sitting on gravel was that perhaps her filter isn't creating enough flow and/or she's in need of a companion to keep her more active/stimulated. I thought of this 'cause my guys are always up and swimming I think mostly due to the circulation produced by the filter and a bit due to the fact they have goldie friends to interact with; while my newest rescues currently in QT do a good amount of bottom sitting and they have a sponge filter in there producing little water movement.

Just a thought. Pears situation has got me theorizing... :rolleyes:

Edited by Kateana

I'm wondering if Melafix might help here-it says it treats fin rot. I have never dealt w/ it,so I'm not sure-but I have used Melafix and I know it's very mild.

I think I have melafix but it stinks to high heaven and it makes me worry, but if it's what's needed I'll add it.

I drained the tank to about 80% (as close to the bottom as I could without making Pear a beached whale.) I put back in some plastic plants to see if maybe that'd get pear up and going. (the bottom sitting/ "boredom" started after I took those out) I was thinking of adding her into the big goldie tank today, but now that I see possible finrot I don't think that'll be happening anytime soon.. Plus I was worried the bigger goldies might eat Pear for desert! :rofl

I haven't put the salt back in, because I'm not sure about the dosing 100% now, and I'm not sure if I should add it with the Melafix, though I'm going to hold off on that. (At least until I find the bottle/ do some research. :unsure:

As a side note: while doing the water change I noticed the shells I put in to balance the pH gave off a white cloud when I scrubbed them a little bit. I took them out and ran them under tap water, giving them a good finger-scrub.

I'll go get on the search for that bottle and keep checking on Pear. Thanks guys. :heart

Hi, Vee, the ragged fins will be fixed with 0.2% salt (2 teaspoons per gallon) within a couple of weeks. You can add the Melafix, if you like. Just make sure that your tank is really well aerated when you do and that there is no carbon in the filters. Be patient for the fins to heal. The thing to pay attention to is if conditions get noticeably worse. Otherwise, just salt and wait :)

Oh. :) Well then I'll mix the salt in the morning, Pear seems to be sitting again, though.. Can't blame her, if people stuck their giant hands in my room, moved around my stuff and sucked away my atmosphere it'd way stressful. X_X;

I can't find the melafix, I imagine I gave it away at some point, which is probably a good thing because it might have been too old to use if I did still have it.

I've salted to fix fin-tears/shreds before, but if that's all I have to do, then so be it! :P

I'll follow your thread to see how Pear's doing with her treatment. Best of luck to you and Pear for a swift recovery Vee! :heart 'Glad to see Alex stopped by to help out too ;)

I found the melafix and it doesn't expire until 2013 though it has been open a while. The bottle does state it can treat finrot among other things.

I'll do my best to stay onto of the daily 50's, as I have class all week, but I'm sure I'll manage.

Thanks everyone. :) I'm sure pear thanks you as well. :heart

THis tank has always been cycled? because such fins can also come from bad water.

I am also thinking flukes. I would do the normal prazi routine for 1 month as well.

The salt will help prevent further infection

The current tank hasn't always been cycled. I got it about a month(?) ago, but the filter that it's using has been cycled for quite some time now. :)

I haven't seen Pear "flash" at all.. I looked up other symptoms of flukes and pear doesn't seem to have any of them :idont If you think I should still treat for flukes I guess I could do that. I'll have to see if I can get Prazi at the pet store soon..

Well.. No, but then again neither have any of the fish in the main tank. I've never seemed to have a problem with my fish having the symptoms of flukes..

then I would prazi. it is very mild and you don't really want flukes to start taking over. I prazi all new fish - even those with no initial symptoms. they are one of the hardest things to totally take care of. my personal N1 enemy!

Should I prazi the main tank as well? If so maybe I'll hold off on the Prazi and just treat them all at the same time once Pear is better...

Yeah I would go ahead and prazi the whole tank. It's excellent as a precaution because more likely than not all the fish have it and once it gets bad, it's bad and hard to get rid of.

Alright, I'll hold off until Pear is well enough to join the bigboy tank. :P

I think I'm going to go ahead and treat with the Melafix for now. The bottle seems good.. I think I'll try it, seeing as there was salt in the tank when Pear tore his tail fins up.

I'll buy the Prazi when I can get to the fish store to buy Prime as well. :)