Sign in to follow this  
Fantail2

Fish Struggling To Breathe, Not Moving

My sister's fish, has stopped swimming. It's just letting itself being pushed around by the filter. He's breathing slowly, his gills are opening alot, like he's panting slowly.

Can you please fill out the form at the top? Those answers will help a lot.

He's only been with us a few days, since saturday. My sister had seashells in there, but I took them out like you said.

We just noticed he's not swimming, he's letting himself sink to the bottom. He's still breathing, but like it's difficult, slowly with his gills opening more than usual.

Last night, my dad took out this plastic bit that connects to the filter --it has a few holes in it and water goes in then out through those holes. It creates like a little fountain, and when the water hits the surface, it makes bubbles in the water. He said it was to up the oxygen levels or something.

We put it back in instead.

Maybe the water's a little dirty, maybe he caught something off the sea shells?

I don't know what to do, please help.

DSC00015.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

the water is not clean at all.. it's really dirty.. please, so that we can help you, you must answer all the questions from the white box above.

is this related to the same fish you just posted moments ago?

please tell me if you have a proper filter in that tank or just a bubbler?...

Edited by stakos
more info

Hello. Could you please fill out the answers to the questions below?

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? we don't have a test kit

[*]Water temperature? room temp, approx. 20?C

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 5 gallons, we know it's too small, will be changed as soon as possible. We've had it since Sat.

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? approx 4 x 1 inches, "Aquapor", the box has been thrown away, I only have the instructions on how to assemble it, the name isn't mentionned.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? we haven't changed it yet!

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? not since we got them and filled the tank!

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, 0.8 inches each, without the tail.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? "Aquatop, Biodrop F, for cold water"

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? "Aquatop, Nutrigold Flakes" once a day.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? YES. See above.

the water is not clean at all.. it's really dirty.. please, so that we can help you, you must answer all the questions from the white box above.

is this related to the same fish you just posted moments ago?

please tell me if you have a proper filter in that tank or just a bubbler?...

It's supposedly a filter!! That's what the manual says.

How can the water be so dirty after only a few days? Today is day 4 they've been with us!!

We're going to change the tank, and remove the gravel, well as soon as we changed the water!!

This is frustrating, they aren't my fish, my dad only just agreed to get a bigger tank...

Should I change some water right now!?

Edited by Fantail2

Goldfish produce a LOT of waste and need a strong filter to cope with it. If you don't have a good filter, the water can become very filthy within days :(

And as you said, a 5 gallon tank is far too small so even with a large filter you would not be able to keep that many fish healthy for long.

What you need to do right now is a HUGE water change. Even 100% of the water if you can. Just make sure what you add is the same temperature as before and has the chlorine removed.

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

ok.. 4 fish in a 5 gallon? how soon are you getting your new tank? you will need a 50 gallon tank for all these fish..

i recommend you do an 80% water change immediately and every day until the new tank gets there, 2 x 60% water changes.. 1 in the morning and 1 at night.

feed only once per day and very little

you must get yourself a water test kit. is Seachem Prime water conditioner available where you are? i fear that your fish are being poisoned by ammonia.. highly toxic from fish waste..

ok.. 4 fish in a 5 gallon? how soon are you getting your new tank? you will need a 50 gallon tank for all these fish..

i recommend you do an 80% water change immediately and every day until the new tank gets there, 2 x 60% water changes.. 1 in the morning and 1 at night.

you must get yourself a water test kit. is Seachem Prime water conditioner available where you are? i fear that your fish are being poisoned by ammonia.. highly toxic from fish waste..

2 fish, not 4.

we'll get the tank as soon as we can, and we def need a new filter. This is not my fault, my sis wanted fish, my dad got her some, without knowing the first thing about them.

I just changed 80% of the water. She feeds them very little, once a day.

What do you mean, chlorine removed? they have tap water, I know there's chlorine in tap water, although not much, us living in Switz. Should I filter the water first, with the water filter we use for our kettle?

Edited by Fantail2

apologies, i misread your information.. there are only 2 fish in your tank. in that case, you need to upgrade to a 30 gallon, not a 50 gallon as i mentioned before.

and also, if you do not have a water test kit, you can take a sample of your water to the aquarium shop and ask them to test it for you. write down the numbers and post them back here. they should test for free or for very little money.

2 fish, not 4.

we'll get the tank as soon as we can, and we def need a new filter. This is not my fault, my sis wanted fish, my dad got her some, without knowing the first thing about them.

I just changed 80% of the water. She feeds them very litter, once a day.

yes.. sorry, i realized my mistake and made mention in another post. :)

that's great!.. do they seem a little better already? you will still need to do the two daily water changes per day in order to maintain pristine water levels.

the filter is not cycled, we don't even know how many gallons per hour it turns.. cycling a filter can take upto 6 weeks, most would choose to cycle a filter without fish as it can be a very harmful process (toxin wise) to the fish. but, seeing as they are already there, here is some good information for you to read in regards to cycling.

cycle filter

This is not my fault, my sis wanted fish, my dad got her some, without knowing the first thing about them.

This happens a lot. It's a popular belief that goldfish are 'easy' to take care of. Sadly that's not exactly true. At least you came here and looked for help, that's more than many people do :grouphug

What do you mean, chlorine removed? they have tap water, I know there's chlorine in tap water, although not much, us living in Switz. Should I filter the water first, with the water filter we use for our kettle?

You just need to ad a dechlorinator or water conditioner to the water :)

I'll change the water later tonight then too.

Thanks for the info on cycling, will do when the new tank gets here!

The fish (only one is sick), is floating at the surface now. He's moving sometimes, trying to swim. I don't know if that means he's any better!

Pff... test the water? I can't do that, I live miles away from town and any pet shop.

I'll ask my dad to buy a test kit, if they even exist in the pet shops he knows. The earliest he could get one is tomorrow, but then he's always working, sometimes he's too busy to go to lunch!!

This is not my fault, my sis wanted fish, my dad got her some, without knowing the first thing about them.

This happens a lot. It's a popular belief that goldfish are 'easy' to take care of. Sadly that's not exactly true. At least you came here and looked for help, that's more than many people do :grouphug

You just need to ad a dechlorinator or water conditioner to the water :)

The water conditioner I mentioned should do the trick, right?

He was just one his side at the surface, I pushed him back down, now he's on the floor again, like before.

Fish rest, don't they? They other one is at the bottom sometimes, but when I tap the tank where he is, he gets up and swims away...

Edited by Fantail2

Pff... test the water? I can't do that, I live miles away from town and any pet shop.

It really is essential for fish keeping. You can order them online.

The water conditioner I mentioned should do the trick, right?

It should yes :)

ok.. things sound like they've improved a little.. that's great. once the filter is cycled and they're in the tank size that they require with a suitable filter.. the hobby is quite rewarding :angelstaf:

with the test kit.. we here recommend API water test kits in the drops (more accurate), not the strips.. they are pricy.. but they last longer and you just can't beat their accuracy.

Seachem Prime, this is the best ammonia binding product on the market at the moment. it does more than other water conditioners do..

if these items are not availabe at the shop, you can order them online.. ebay has fantastic pricing for them.

ok.. things sound like they've improved a little.. that's great. once the filter is cycled and they're in the tank size that they require with a suitable filter.. the hobby is quite rewarding :angelstaf:

with the test kit.. we here recommend API water test kits in the drops (more accurate), not the strips.. they are pricy.. but they last longer and you just can't beat their accuracy.

Seachem Prime, this is the best ammonia binding product on the market at the moment. it does more than other water conditioners do..

if these items are not availabe at the shop, you can order them online.. ebay has fantastic pricing for them.

I edited my post above... I really think he's dying. He'll prolly be gone by tomorrow.... To be at the surface, on its side like that...

at the moment, all you can do is change water frequently and add dechlorinator. if the fish dies overnight, well, there is not much we can do about it as we can't advise on medications without knowing what the water parameters are. so fingers crossed the nice clean dechlorinated water will make him a little healthier each day :)

I agree, you're doing all you can right now. The water changes are key.

This is so weird and cute, the other fish just swam down and is lying down next to the sick one!

Fishy passed away this morning. My sister buried it in the garden.

Now we're cleaning out the tank completely, and removing the gravel.

Sorry to hear :(

Good idea about removing the gravel, it should help with your water quality.

So sorry about your loss :( Chrissy gave some good advice, no gravel definitely leaves the tank cleaner.