External Cysts And Dropsy

Kochi

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I can tell, but when I opened up the bucket last night to change the water I noticed a bit of poop, so maybe the feeding with a syringe wasn't a total failure.

By the way, is there a better method for the measuring the amount of Maracyn II? He's in a 6 gallon bucket, and 1 pack per 10 gallons I need 60% of that packet... will it hurt the powder to be exposed to the light while I measure it out? (I feel like I'm dealing cocaine or something, I actually used my credit card)

Also do I HAVE to do a water change inbetween the doses? I mean, can I just add another sixth of a packet to the bucket water?

Hello. Glad to hear that there is a bit of poop. Was it food colored? We love food colored poop :rofl

The few minutes it takes for you to measure things out and dissolve them won't hurt the Maracyn II. It's photosentive, so it will degrade following light exposure, but this is a matter of 30 minutes to hours. So you're alright.

I know it's a pain to do the total water changes, but for now if you could do that, it would be great. The new water is about as crucial as the meds.

Hello. Glad to hear that there is a bit of poop. Was it food colored? We love food colored poop :rofl

The few minutes it takes for you to measure things out and dissolve them won't hurt the Maracyn II. It's photosentive, so it will degrade following light exposure, but this is a matter of 30 minutes to hours. So you're alright.

I know it's a pain to do the total water changes, but for now if you could do that, it would be great. The new water is about as crucial as the meds.

seriously? So

Doing this all in the dark wasn't really necessary? Oh man. Someone could have told me this before I became highly skilled in the art of operating like a mad scientist with almost all the lights off hahaha, my roommates were starting to wonder what I was doing. So I can dole out 6% of a packet then just put it back in its packet till the next day?

Alright, I'll keep up with the total water changes. It says to keep doing the treatments for, aw man, I can't remember. Six days? Or do I keep going till there's improvement?

:rofl I'm having visions of you doing all of this in darkness. I'm sorry I was clearer in the earlier posts. You just want to keep the tank dark and minimize light exposure of the ingredients of the packets. That's all, so doling out 60% and then putting the rest back till the next time is absolutely fine.

My packet of Maracyn II says to treat for five days. At the end of that time, you can re-assess to see where to go next. It's great that you have the metronidazole on hand, though.

The reason for the water changes is that maracyn kills your cycle, so you need to do water changes to remove the ammonia.

I don't have a filter on the hospital bucket (I figured since I'm changing the water every day anyways it's sort of irrelevant, I'm getting airation through a bubbler) so there's not really any media or cycle to get messed up? It's only 5 days so I'll keep changing it 100% every day anyways (Mostly because my hospital bucket is also my water change bucket, sooo, it's really my only option), I'm just wondering for the future.

:rofl I'm having visions of you doing all of this in darkness. I'm sorry I was clearer in the earlier posts. You just want to keep the tank dark and minimize light exposure of the ingredients of the packets. That's all, so doling out 60% and then putting the rest back till the next time is absolutely fine.

My packet of Maracyn II says to treat for five days. At the end of that time, you can re-assess to see where to go next. It's great that you have the metronidazole on hand, though.

Man I totally was doing all of this in darkness. I was like, OHHH GOD I CAN'T LET ANY LIGHT TOUCH IT AAAAHHHHHH. I'll keep you guys updated.

Since you don't have a filter it means that you have absolutely NO beneficial bacteria in the bucket to convert the fish waste into a less harmful form. These wastes come from respiration and from poop. So even though you have no cycle for the meds to "mess up", the daily water changes are very much necessary. :)

My laptop died so I didn't get to post to let you guys know, Noah V died on the last day of the 5 day maracyn II cycle. Poor lil guy. I guess I should probably stop naming fish after him though. The name is obviously cursed.