External Cysts And Dropsy

Kochi

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my, that fish is super bloated! I agree, since he's not eating, Maracyn II will be your very best bet. I'm thinking that you should be able to find it, because (at least here in the states) it's very commonly seen at the chain pet stores. I think someone already said this, but just as a reminder, while you're using the Maracyn II, you will need to completely cover the bucket/tank the fish is in with a towel because the Maracyn II deactivates in light. Also, I would advise you to do a 50-80% water change every day because the Maracyn II will cause a cycle bump. The instructions packet for the med says it won't, but it actually will. Good clean water is great for a sick fish anyways. Just be sure to get enough of the meds so that you can redose it every day after the daily water change.

Melafix and Pimafix won't do you any good for dropsy. Stress coat isn't really a med, it's more like a water conditioner that has extra stuff in it for preventative care. I don't like it though... I believe it contains aloe vera, and I don't think it's a great idea to add aloe vera to the fish water.

Alright, I'll look for some Maracyn 2 tomorrow. Unfortunately there aren't any chain petstores that I can get to before they close so this yuppie petstore (Thankfully it specializes in fish, so, fingers crossed) is my best bet.

When I grab the maracyn I'll come back and ask for instructions from you guys before I use it. I intend on doing almost full water changes every day anyways till I see if the scales of life or death are tipping strongly in one direction. Will remember to keep it out of light.

And, the pharmacy, really..? There is a lot I intend to do to help my little(big) guy, including force feeding him, but I am not so sure about that. And the vet is also in the realm of things-that-are-out-of-my-budget-unfortunately.

If they DON'T carry Maracyn II, what is the best runner up? Does the anti parasite medicated food do the same thing?

The anti-parasite medicated food, which contains the antibiotic metronidazole, is in so many ways the better of the two, except that your ryukin isn't eating. So, if the AP food is the only option available to you, you can mush it up and force feed him by syringe.

Alright, I'll try to find a suitable syringe while I'm at it tomorrow. Drugstore, I suppose?

Thanks for all your help, you guys. You especially Dnalex!!

I wouldn't force feed. You can harm the fish very easily - plus he will just spit it out through the gills.

You can get Baytril at the pharmacy or various other meds. For the quantity a fish needs it is usually cheaper to go to the pharmacy than to get fish meds.

Force-feeding is fine as a last resort. I've done it before and it didn't harm the fish. :) Some will be spit out through the gills, but some is also eaten. It takes a steady hand and patience, but it can be done.

You can get Baytril at the pharmacy or various other meds. For the quantity a fish needs it is usually cheaper to go to the pharmacy than to get fish meds.

Hey, Federica, you are able to purchase antibiotics without a prescription in Switzerland? We cannot, here in the US.

you cannot in switzerland. but if you explain that you need just 1-2pills for your fish they give it to you. not much a person can do with 1-2pills. :)

or the baytril I just pick it up at the vet's. they don't treat fish there anyways.

It's because I always go to the same pharmacies. THey know me. I only use herbal remedies for myself so they know that I am not running some drug lab or something :rofl

One of the pharmacies is actually run by a girl who also has goldfish, so that helps :)

In NYC I did the same thing for my dogs actually. It is all about asking the right person

That makes sense Fede. But don't they have to keep careful records of what meds went where? It seems like it would be risky for them (with the higher-ups) if it got out that they were giving out meds without a prescription. Then again, if it's only a pill or two, they may not even notice it's missing... :yeah:

Haha, yeah, I live in a very big city so the chances of me walking in and being able to go SOOOOO GIMME A FEW PILLS EH? Are not that great. High traffic, lots of drug use, very busy pharmacy. When I went in to get some clove oil and explained what it was for they were super confused.

I will end up on some type of government watch list lolol

I've had to force feed a fish before (Swim bladder, wanted to eat, was just unable to get it) so hopefully if it comes to that it should be ok.

Haha, yeah, I live in a very big city so the chances of me walking in and being able to go SOOOOO GIMME A FEW PILLS EH? Are not that great. High traffic, lots of drug use, very busy pharmacy. When I went in to get some clove oil and explained what it was for they were super confused.

I will end up on some type of government watch list lolol

I've had to force feed a fish before (Swim bladder, wanted to eat, was just unable to get it) so hopefully if it comes to that it should be ok.

lol, that happened to me too with the clove oil. I couldn't even find it anywhere except for at a pretty obscure natural foods store!

lol, that happened to me too with the clove oil. I couldn't even find it anywhere except for at a pretty obscure natural foods store!

:rofl I don't know what it is used for in people. I think it smells AWEFUL! Every time the smell stays on your hands for days and gives me a headache.

That makes sense Fede. But don't they have to keep careful records of what meds went where? It seems like it would be risky for them (with the higher-ups) if it got out that they were giving out meds without a prescription. Then again, if it's only a pill or two, they may not even notice it's missing...

yes that is why you have to go to smaller, private pharmacies. That way you speak directly to the boss/ chief pharmacist. In duane read and those places it doesn't work. THey barely even give you cough drops :rofl

:rofl I don't know what it is used for in people. I think it smells AWEFUL! Every time the smell stays on your hands for days and gives me a headache.

Oh I agree, clove oil smells terrible! And the smell really does linger, even after you wash the container well. It's not as if we need another reason to dread euthanizing a fish. :( I think clove oil is used in people as a weak anesthetic. People use it for tooth aches.

Edited by Sakura

Sooo. Got some Maracyn 2 and well as some Metro... stuff that gets added to food, as well as a syringe so i can force feed him, which I am willing to do. Can someone talk me through the maracyn 2 thing? It says add 2 packets per 10 gallons of water, then 1 packet per 10 gallons for the next five.

Now, my fish is actually mostly bottom sitting right now, which is sort of worrisome. Should I go ahead with the maracyn or try to forcefeed him some of the metro?

Hello. I think that you should try the Maracyn II. Just make sure you have the tank well covered, as minocycline is photosensitive.

I would recommend you weight to see what some others members think.

Good luck! Now that you have the requisite meds, there is hope! Hang on Mr. Ryukin!

Edit: Ashlee already answered :)

Edited by dnalex

How many days can he survive without food? I'm sort of leaning towards that if only so that he won't starve.

Can I just pour the maracyn in and it'll dissolve by itself? Will it be okay for the second its exposed to light before I get it covered, or do I have to do it in the dark?

I think it's better to mix it first in some tank water first before adding it to the tank. Just cover it after it gets added to the tank because it starts to get degraded when exposed to light.

Since it's been a while that he's had food, I think it's a good idea to force feed him. But just regular food, as you've done before. That way he has nourishment. Hold off on the metro for now.

Tried feeding him with a syringe and he actually wanted NOTHING to do with me, so. Dunno if any of it got into his stomach or not. Treated with Maracyn II. Guess I'll take a look in the bucket tomorrow when I get home from work?

Try to see if you can feed him again tomorrow. Just something to keep in mind...it will take several days before you see any improvements.

small goldies can go about 15days without food. Larger ones can go up to one month without.

I would stop trying to handle him and force feed him. This will just stress him and ruin his slime.

Dose the Maracyn and wait a bit. Keep offering him normal food in tiny quanitites and he should eventually start wanting to eat again if the Maracyn is working. Remove any uneaten food.

Good luck

PS. You have already turned up the temps to about 26-27C right? This is very important with dropsy.