Cat Drinking Out Of The Tank

I must have the most psycho pets ever. Some of you might remember me introducing my cat Kiki over on the pet brigade months ago. The little split personality devil-angel cat with the tick for "special water".

She doesn't care for the water in the pets' water bowl; she believes all other water is better. The downstairs dog water, the freshly poured filtered water from the fridge, in her own little metal water bowl she DEMANDS ice cubes in the water in summer or she won't drink it.

And - of course - the water from the fish tanks.

She is not going after the fish, she never even watches them swim around. She likes laying by the window next to the teles tank and look out, and then she gets up on her back paws, jumps up onto the glass cover and starts drinking tank water :doh11:

Is this in any way harmful for the fish? She is an indoor kitty, so it's not really like she can bring something nasty from outside. But I don't want to cover the tank 100%, especially not with the high temperatures we are starting to get here now. Room temperature is around 85F, so the tanks are in the low 80s. And it will go up higher to the high 80s in July and August, so I really want to have a lot of openings for air, and so the ceiling fan can cool off the surface a bit.

And yes, I am really NOT worrying about her going fishing in the tanks.

• Supporter

my cat will only drink from buckets of water that are outside.. he refuses to drink from his water bowl.. he's 9 years now and i change the water in his bowl every day.. but he never drinks from it. :blink: ie, he will not drink water if he cannot access it from outside. we tried the bowl outside, nope.. we tried a bucket inside. nope.. it has to be a bucket and it has to be outside :doh11::krazy:

My cats and dog drink water outta the pond all the time. I don't see any harm in it. Even if there were, I couldn't stop them!

I think your biggest worry should be if the cat were to knock the top off the tank somehow and fall in!

That would be...ungood.

My cat's special about his water too. :rofl

He won't drink from his bowl, but loves to drink from the running bathtub faucet, the dog's bowl (which the dog's water is gross and hairy), or the fish tanks. We shoo him away from the fish tanks, but there's bound to be times where we're not there to tell him off.

As long as he's not going fishing I don't see a problem with it. :)

I'd say your goldies have nothing to worry about when it comes to the cat drinking out of the aquarium. I doubt she could introduce anything harmful into the tank that could affect your fish. My cat Tiger does the exact same thing - 'drives me nuts! He thinks all water except for the water I change daily in his bowl is suitable for drinking. :rolleyes: As for the aquariums, everyone always asks "won't he mess with the fish?!" and I'm like "naaah, he's more intrested in the water they're swimming in..."

He as well never even looks at the goldies! :D

Oh goodness, glad I'm not the only one with a cat that's... weird. And yes, the dog bowl! YUCK! My two dogs are 16 and 15 years old, almost teethless. After eating they drink - although I call it RINSING THEIR MOUTH because so much food scraps land at the bottom of the bowl that within a day it turns the water nasty brown and full of mushy dog food crumbs.

But my cat LOVES it.

I guess she likes "flavored water"

*throws up*

• Admin

If my tanks where lower both of my cats would be drinking from them... but since my tanks are to tall and nothing around them for the cats to jump up on the tanks they cant.... They used too :lol

as long as they do not stick their paws in the tank i would not worry about this too much, however their paws due to them being in a liter box can introduce bacteria in the tank

The only thing I would worry about is that cat's have a ton of bacteria in their mouths. That is why cat bites abcess so easily. So I might be a bit concerned about that.

That is what I was worrying about, if they could carry some bacteria that might be harmful for the fish. So would you say it would be better to entirely cover the tank, even in the heat?

Well, think of it this way, some people eat after their cats (My grandma used to do that ALL the time during dinner. :doh11: )

She's still alive and kickin'. :P

Edit---

She shares the fork. The FORK! :thud

Edited by Vee

I don't know. It would worry me. I keep my tank covered year round. You can always put a fan on it to cool it down and that might be enough to keep the kitty away. Or put a scat mat or something like that in front of the tank.

Well, think of it this way, some people eat after their cats (My grandma used to do that ALL the time during dinner. :doh11: )

She's still alive and kickin'. :P

Edit---

She shares the fork. The FORK! :thud

Are you sure the cat wasn't sharing his dinner with your grandma? I know our cat rules the roost.

• Admin

Well yes there could be something like left over cat food in the kitties mouths that can get into the tank... So in all you really should have the tank covered, but if a cat drinks from time to time I dont think it will cause alot of harm, but of course things can happen :o

Oh food for thought...

How about the other way around.... Your medicating the tank and the cats drink the tank water:O

Well in that case I think there really shouldn't be a problem. Sure, the cat might drink a bit more medicated water than the fish "absorbs", but the cat is probably a couple hundred times heavier, so the amount of medication the cat might get would be insignificant.

UNLESS it is a chemical that is toxic for cats of course. I know that dogs and people can use a lot of the same medications, and from what I read goldfish go in the same direction. But some medicine that is completely fine for people and dogs can be harmful for cats. If I remember right from when I was little, that's what our vet told us. So it might be a good thing to do some research on what could be harmful for cats.

I know Kiki drank from the tank when there was a dose of melafix in it, and she didn't croak.

So I assume tea tree oil based stuff is fine. I'll still google it though.

Why don't you add a piece of wired mesh to the top? That way, kitty will be kept out abd the cooler air wouls still reach the surface. Better safe than sorry right? :)