Using Salt On Fry

Iseul

Is it safe to use salt on fry? What's the concentration to use?

I'm just asking a general question at the moment. The fry are about 25 days old.

Gotcha. Again, I don't know for sure. Unless there is a good reason, I would not do it. And if it has to be, I'd start with only half the dose. So 0.05% instead of 0.1%, and have the ones that need the salt separate from the rest. :)

Well ok. A few of my fry died recently (around 6 in total - I still have 35 fry left). I'm not sure if this is just "natural dying off" (which has continued ever since the fry were hatched - I had almost 70 fry initially but quite a few were born deformed), or is it because I poured a little bit of salt water into the fry tank when I was feeding them hatched baby brine shrimp. It's just a little bit of brine water, so the salt concentration couldn't have been higher than 0.1% at most, and it was only for a day or so before I changed the water almost completely today. The fry who have died showed a bit of greenish-bluish colouration around their head area. What does that imply? The surviving fry are completely fine without any signs of illness at all. Ammonia/nitrite levels are also ok, and there is no evidence of any microbial infection.

I've never culled the fry, since they seem to have "self-culled". I started with 70 hatched fry, now I still have 35. They are 25 days old today.

Edited by Iseul

I don't think the salt would cause that. :)

Do you find dead fry? How are the parameters of the tub/tank? What size is it? How often do you feed? Is there a big size difference between some of them?

If you find dead ones, I would keep a close eye on the parameters and make sure there is enough room, enough food for them all, and leftover food removed. Fry should not "just" die off in masses. A few deaths are normal.

When you do water changes, do you make sure the temperature and pH is matched? Do you pour the water in, carefully? Do you have an airstone or filter that keeps the water from getting stagnant?

If you do NOT find dead ones (or much less dead ones than you are missing fish) then check the filter (if you have one) if fry got sucked in. Other than that it can be that the larger ones eat the smaller ones. That happened to me, I started out with close to 30 and now got 4 left. I only ever found 3 dead ones and had to cull another 2. A few made it through a small slit between the foam covering of the filter intake, so I then wrapped the entire in tank filter in foam and rubberbanded it tightly.

• 2 weeks later...

I always raise my fry in 3 ppt salt to keep the cilates at bay and to keep the brine shrimp alive till they get eaten.

I collected two spawns on Thursday and one on friday. They are all on here:

http://...................com/

Oh really? That's good to know.

And your blog is always so interesting to check! :)