Koko's Forum Saved My Oranda

:nana i have to thank this forum for saving betty's (my oranda) life TWICE. the first time was last week when i thought she was tangled in weed. i released her but she wasnt swimming right and i thought it may be swim bladder? :idont i rushed to computer, went straight to this forum and read symptons :read first thing was test water, i did and it was high in nitrates :yikes i quickly did 40% water change, and very soon she was back to normal :nana then two days ago, i put some cucumber in the tank on a scewer, the guppies and snails loved it, but guess who wouldnt go near it!!! the next day i noticed a very long thin poo gliding behind her, so back to forum, check poo guide and it said she was stressed!!! i quickly removed offending cucumber and now she is as right as rain. :flowers:thanks :thanks :D

• Supporter

hahahahh.. oh, how we all have our fair share of oooops's... dramatic at the time.. but makes a good laugh later on.. welcome to the team :angelstaf: nice to have you here :heart

Glad to hear this! Although the term "OFFENDING CUCUMBER" almost made me spit my drink all over the keyboard LOL

I actually find it strange though that the cucumber stressed your fish. The majority of goldfish LOVES cucumber, so I'm not sure what startled her like that?

Another thing - guppies x goldfish together in a tank is not such a great idea. The guppies (I think) need it warmer than the goldfish. Plus the goldfish will grow and EAT your guppies. Keep in mind, a goldfish will eat anything that fits in his mouth, even his own babies.

So you might want to look into getting the goldfish his own big tank, maybe big enough that he can have a goldfish buddy. That will save you lots of grief, when your guppies start disappearing. :)

Glad to hear this! Although the term "OFFENDING CUCUMBER" almost made me spit my drink all over the keyboard LOL

I actually find it strange though that the cucumber stressed your fish. The majority of goldfish LOVES cucumber, so I'm not sure what startled her like that?

Another thing - guppies x goldfish together in a tank is not such a great idea. The guppies (I think) need it warmer than the goldfish. Plus the goldfish will grow and EAT your guppies. Keep in mind, a goldfish will eat anything that fits in his mouth, even his own babies.

So you might want to look into getting the goldfish his own big tank, maybe big enough that he can have a goldfish buddy. That will save you lots of grief, when your guppies start disappearing. :)

dont worry, i am saving fast for another tank, i had too rescue her quickly from awful conditions, i hope she grows into a big loveable monster and i know she would eat my smaller fish, :yikes i cant wait to get a bigger tank and a friend or two for her. i love her bits :pease:

They taught me here that dropsy is not a death threat.

The dropsy success stories are amazing aren't they? Its so nice to see fish recover - even if they still end up with a shorter lifespan its the extra time that counts. And its worth it. To me, its almost like people living with a disease like AIDS. There may not be a cure at the moment, but that doesn't mean there aren't new ways to extend your life and to learn to live with it and stay as healthy as you can so that the effect is has is minimal.. I have three dropsy survivors with me right now. And the only other fish that dropsied actually ended up dying from what seemed to be something different. She wasn't even dropsied when I lost her.. YAY for kokos!

also i think it was the huge skewer it was attached too !!! :peeka

LOL that sure sounds possible! You might want to invest in a veggie clip, or let the slice of peeled cucumber float free on the water surface. Mine think it is funny and entertaining to "hunt" the cucumber :)