Green Tank!

katmad

Before, when it was first set up.

E1.jpg

clear water, sparkly tank!

Now, after a few very sunny months, having been put next to a big window!

greenwater.jpg

The fishies LOVE the green water!!

thanks guys, i am doing regular water changes so yes i can still see the fish :) hehe!

and now i have got used to the green i quite like the way it looks!!

Congratulations. That's a really nice green. It looks beautiful.

The best thing of all is your fish should never get floaty! It is a great cure for floatiness and sbd! Daryl use to keep a green QT and at the first sign of a fish being floaty she would put them in true bright green water for a week or so to cure them.

Congratulations. That's a really nice green. It looks beautiful.

The best thing of all is your fish should never get floaty! It is a great cure for floatiness and sbd! Daryl use to keep a green QT and at the first sign of a fish being floaty she would put them in true bright green water for a week or so to cure them.

Oh really? Dang, that sounds pretty cool! Not that I'm having fish problems, but now I want green water even more. But I assume it needs a lot of direct sunlight, or not?

Its best achieved with natural light and sun yes. But it can be maintained on cloudy days too. Ive done it twice and had my sons' tanks running by a huge window, constant changing the first few weeks and then very much less water changing than we do in non green tanks. The color is so vivid and pretty! Its great for ranchu. All the Japanese breeders here only house non dorsal fish in green as they say those are so floaty prone (although I think orandas are too!). The only major worry is pH crash and lack of oxygen. Unfortunately it happens more often in green water, because its totally dependent on weather.. if you get like a whole week of cloud and no good light the green dies back resulting in VERY sudden, literally overnight depletion of oxygen and resulting pH crash./algae crash. It was a big worry for us and it happened Im afraid to say.

Definitely a summer thing or for people who have year round sun, like solar panels huh...but if you have very strong lighting to use on the tank you can replace with that for dull days....

One awesome thing....you dont need trad massive filtration with true green water. It filters itself. Just lots of aeration. All fry raised in green also have the potential to grow much larger than regular tank stunted fish. The Rain Garden fish, the auction fish? All those fry were raised in GW :)