My New Fish Is In The Main Tank!

After a thankfully uneventful and extra long QT, I finally put Bagheera in the main tank. Just in the last five weeks he is starting to turn a chocolate brown...glad I was attached to a black oranda. I have to go through a whole routine because Hatter can have an attitude. That includes changing the decor in the main tank, so I added new driftwood and plants and put a nice distraction of spinach on the clip. Thankfully, it all worked. They were so busy munching on spinach that it was a few hours before they were like, "who the heck are you?"

Anyway, some photos:

newfish069-1.jpg

newfish068.jpg

newfish064.jpg

newfish052-2.jpg

beautiful fish and tank! Are there some real plants in there? Hatter is a cutie! (lol and I don't usually like ranchu)Its such a relief for QT to be over! I don't see a speck of the brown algae of death in there! lucky you :)

I was just thinking about your new Oranda and wondering where he waspost-4056-1113060392.gifSounds like all that careful work and preparation has paid offsmilie_staub.gifI love the name too-where does it come from(I should say 'where in Disney does it come from')?wub.gif

I was just thinking about your new Oranda and wondering where he waspost-4056-1113060392.gifSounds like all that careful work and preparation has paid offsmilie_staub.gifI love the name too-where does it come from(I should say 'where in Disney does it come from')?wub.gif

I think he was the panther in Jungle Book

Yep...the panther in Jungle Book...now his name will be really silly if he turns color, which he is already showing signs of. Hatter is anything but innocent, but he sure pulls off an innocent looking face.

I miss Calcifer, too. I liked having a little one in the tank that puttered around. I think I finally figured out with Hatter's 'tude, I need to have all the same sized fish. And as much as I love compact body fish, it just isn't worth the risk of swimming issues.

All of my plants are real, expect the one tall one in the right corner. I used to have a ton of plastic, but I got rid of most of it in favor for live. I probably will take out the one plastic, but I always try to rearrange when I get a new fish and throwing in a plastic plant is an easy trick. I get tons of brown algae every week. I literally take out every plant and scrub them off weekly. Probably good because I worry about the three peices of driftwood, but since I scrub them every week hopefully they'll stay safe. I've been thinking of getting a couple of tiger/zebra snails to help do my plant work for me. But I suspect Merryweather might pick at them.

Thanks, everyone! It is so nice to see three fish in the tank again.

Great 'distracting' idea :), and I relate to how well tat would work! New friends should always arrive with presents ..um bribes :teehee

Bagheera is just beautiful and i love the name, Bagheera was such a loyal friend and companion to Mowgli and a real hero. (I loved his voice in the movie wonder who it was).

Thanks for sharing your treasures :heart

Hatter was listed as a lionhead and I'm not sure he is technically tancho (the red should be a bit smaller and more defined), but that is what I like to think of him as. Bagey has some serious wen growth...I've never had a dark fish so at first I was worried by all the white. He is such a chocolatey bronze color now instead of black that I suspect he will go orange. I was going for the cute face, because that sure won't change.