Sign in to follow this  
EdgarTheFish

What Do You Do With Your Tank Water?

When you do your water change where does your tank water go? I put mine in 5gal jugs that my family and friends take to fertilize their gardens :) If they haven't returned their jugs for a refill yet then I use the water to fertilize my garden. Works wonderfully! The tank is clean and the goldfish are happy, the plants thrive and bloom and the humans get beautiful fish and gorgeous flowers. :) (((also wasn't sure where to post this topic so plz move if needed!!)))

I just run the hose out the back door, and use the water to rinse the patio. That comes in handy because one of my dogs occasionally thinks that is really funny to pee on the patio instead of in the grass.

Also, we got 5 (small) dogs roaming our back yard. I am quite convinced that this area is fertilized enough, even without the tank water.

I will be watering my plants with the water from the 200Gal :)

When I use the python tho I just waste it - which is ridiculous.

You don't have to waste the water with your Python!! I use to Python NOT hooked to the faucet when cleaning the tank & removing water. I just run the other end out the front door into my flower bed. I still get plenty of suction to really clean the gravel and so forth!! THEN I hook it to the faucet to refill the tank! Voila! No waste AT ALL!!

I only hooked it to the faucet when I 1st got it but soon realized I was running ALOT of water down the drain while cleaning! Nah! Don't do that anymore!

nah, mine doesn't work with the python not hooked :( I think it's because the tubs are on the floor, so no gravity. when I take 15mins for a 30gal w/c, unplugged it takes one hr!

I try to use it on the houseplants. Forget way too often.

I send the hose out the backdoor into the flower beds. I will collect a bit for the house plants too, that way there is a guarantee that they get watered at least once a week...

I used to use that water for my plants also, and then I forgot during the month when I had to salt my big tank. I was wondering for weeks why my plants were wilting. Of course, by the time I remembered about the salt, it was a very sad part of the garden :yikes

I used to use that water for my plants also, and then I forgot during the month when I had to salt my big tank. I was wondering for weeks why my plants were wilting. Of course, by the time I remembered about the salt, it was a very sad part of the garden :yikes

Youch!

I would...but my plants are all upstairs and I am far too lazy to lug buckets up the stairs...

Water plants.

I'm like Fede and can't get enough siphon going,but I do water the outside plants w/ pond water,and then refill. This way the plants get fertilized and the pond gets some fresh waterfishpond.giffish.gifbingo.gif

Mine just runs down the drain. :( I really want to drain it out the window rather than running the water with the python to drain the tank, but we live in a third floor apartment, and I think it would be rude to our neighbors to do that. Also, I think it can cause water damage if you are constantly running/draining water right next to the base of the house/apartment building like that.

When we move into a house, I'll be able to work something out so that I can use my old tank water for watering plants.

At the rental house, it gets dymped on the lawn since I am changing water with buckets until I can get something connected to the faucets. At the parents house, it goes down the drain since I have a python setup.

Most of mine used to go toward watering plants, but now that we have moved and the setup is different (can not use the python on the sinks, will not fit the faucet) I get it out in buckets and just toss it into the yard or down the drain. Fishtank water (especially goldfish tank water) is fantastic for house plants! I never had to use Miracle Grow when I watered with my old tank water. :)

Well, I WAS just totally wasting mine! Where have I been?!?!? lol Now I will be getting me some buckets and hitting up the garden and indoor plants. Someone should kick me.

Mine goes out the door and into the yard. The area where it always pools there is a flower bush that grows like a weed with all the yummy nitrate nutrition from it. Unfortunately it wont reach the rest of the yard which is dry as a bone.

During the winter, it gets dumped down the drain since the plants in the garden are dormant. During the warmer months, in the flower beds of course. Tank water definately makes a difference, probably with all the nitrates and phosphates. I have 2 stargazer lily plants that are alreay 2.5 feet tall and they haven't even flowered yet. Plus some green onions planted last year that are nearly as tall and will flower for the first time this year.

Yup! It goes outside on the plants. It seems like such a waste of water otherwise. (I live in Florida.)

I'm in the Bucket Brigade. I have a Python, but it seems like it uses too much water, so I haul it.

But I only have a 55 and a 20! :D So it's not too bad.

Hey, if you have tubs on the floor -

When I had my fish in a temp tub over Spring Break, they were on the floor. I had an "Oh, NO!" moment at water change time. "Siphon won't work, ya ding-dong!You're gonna be bailing!"

I remembered I had a little power head somebody gave me, so I hooked up tubing to the output, and dropped the power head into the tank, plugged it in, and pumped the water into the bucket. It was slooooow, but it worked.

Make sure you watch it, though, or obstruct the pump in some way to prevent fish injury - especially if you have a more powerful one than I do, which is likely! :)

Guest scarpearl

Into the garden via the hose - have on occasion had to rescue an adventurous white cloud from the lawn. :whatjust::oops:

Buckets and hubby pours it onto the herb garden patch, one flowerbed and the veggie plants and the berry-bushes.

Yes it is a 70 gal that gets changed 50-70%

The blue berries are getting huge. Same with my sage and French leeks

Edited by Quasi

I also pour mine onto my garden plants outside :) I have to lug my water by the bucketful so why not :) haha

The plants love tank water!!!

Yes, I think plants love fishy water. :D

I just started to use fishy water to water my veg/herb garden. and I have to say compare to last year, my berries and tomato are getting HUGH. This year, I start lettuces and they turn out growing crazy too.

I think fishy water is just great for plants' growth. IMHO. :D

I just feel bad to "waste" the water...