Impulse Buy Betta

We all know how that goes - you go to the LFS to pick something up (in my case a magnetic algae scraper, FINALLY), and get home with a new fish :rolleyes:

Anyway, my eyes were caught by this gorgeous, tiny betta girl. I absolutely LOVE this kind of coloring (does it have a certain name?), and the fact that Pet$mart has the female bettas on sale for 99 cent (!!!!!) was absolutely no help.

I wasn't even thinking about buying her, I was just looking at her saying "oh she is sooo pretty!!" And Steven said "Go get her! :) "

This made me kind of "who are you and what did you do to my husband???" LOL

But anyway, I got her. Planning on putting her in the 55 gallon tropical tank. Currently she houses in my 1 gallon emergency bowl, where she is being QT and treated for an injury on her tail. Yes, I bought a "damaged" fish. Intentionally.

Just gotta change the water in there daily, but that's fine. She sure likes it more than her tiny cup from the LFS.

She is a really cheeky little girl with redish fins (thus the name), and if the light hits her right she shimmers anywhere from turquoise to purple, as you can see in the video. And she is SO tiny. About the size of my goldfish fry. So about 1.5 inches, if at all.

Oh, and I tested the water of her cup:

0.5/0/0 pH about 7.4

Thanks, you guys! I really already love that little fish. She is so cute and cheeky. She first kept flaring at me (do females flare too?) when I walked up to he bowl, but now she realized that I'm the lady with the frozen blood worms. :rolleyes:

Fang, she is really very pretty! I think females flare also; they just don't have the larger plumage of the males lol.

What will you call her?

Cheeky little thing indeed! :D

Congrats Fang on the new little one. I believe she would fall under the Cambodian color type. I hope she really colors up for you, and I think she will once in her new trop tank with all those yummy BW! ;)

Thanks, Kateana! That looks like it's right, about the color type. I think she already is quite pretty, especially with that shimmer in the light.

But she sure has a lot of growing to do, so I'll see what she looks like in a few months :)

Cool :D

And she is pretty even now. I had a little Cambo girl once, 'looked just like yours actually! She had beautiful scintillation and a rainbow of shimmer on her in certain lights. And as much as I like the boys, the girls are a real joy to have as well. There's something different about them in relation to the males. They're zesty little buggers! Full of sass :rofl

Why yes, it would be very fitting :D

They're almost always little spitfires. I've had 4-5 of them back when I was in full-on Betta enthusiast mode, and even the sweetest one had a impish side. :yeah:

Edited by Kateana

Impish, that's a nice description :rofl

Dang, I just discovered a soft spot for female bettas. I used to wonder why people even buy them, thinking that they aren't really all that pretty etc.

But now I want to kick myself for that thinking.

Impish, that's a nice description :rofl

Dang, I just discovered a soft spot for female bettas. I used to wonder why people even buy them, thinking that they aren't really all that pretty etc.

But now I want to kick myself for that thinking.

Perfect I think. Very to the point! :D

I know what you mean, I was the exact same way. All it took was one girl that came with a spawn sibling just for breeding purposes though and I was hooked. I took a quick liking to her. ;)

:kickbutt:whistle

LMAO!

Cute. :D

I belive it ;)

'Can't wait to see pictures of her when she gets all settled in though. I bet she'll color up twice as much and give you 2x the sass! :D

I hope so too!

What others do you have in the trop tank? 'Ever added a female Betta to it before?

No 40px-718smiley-svg1.png

A couple angelfish (ouch), three platys (ouch), a couple dwarf gouramis (ouch), four peppered corys and a pleco.

I am already looking into her own betta home :rofl

That would probably be that 2.5g rectangular glass tank they sell cheap, with a 45gph mini internal filter.

For now at least :D