My First Pearl Scale

Vee

Today I went to the pet store with the intention of holding a rat, because I've recently become interested in them.. Instead my boyfriend (Who is interested in fish, but doesn't keep them) dragged me to the fish section.. There I looked through all the goldies, blue orandas, "lions," and finally I caught eye of this little fishy:

IMAG0186.jpg

At the time I thought how cute it was, and that I'd love to take it home, but remembered I was a little short on space (four fish in a 55g).. So I bit my tongue and forced my boyfriend to drag me out of the store. :rofl

I got home and kept thinking about the fish, and telling my family how cute it was.. and I decided I had to go back to get it. While waiting I saw someone and another employee talking about fish (She had a bag full of small dwarf something or others that were tropical fish) and she asked about getting a goldfish. And while the employee started off right, saying the fish were hard to take care of she ended up still saying a goldfish could be kept in a bowl. :no: At least she said the water had to be changed daily...

When I went back in the second time I noticed a lot of the fish in the tank it was in (and the tanks next to it) had ich. The employee almost didn't want to sell if to me, but I assured him I could quarantine it at home, and he agreed to let me buy it. He seemed a little more informed, stating that he himself had a tropical tank. :)

I'm not sure what I'm going to name the pearl scale, it's the first one I've ever had.. For now it's qting in a 30g, but it will soon join the 55g, along with an increased wc schedule. Now I know why you guys often leave space in your tanks for that one special fish, though it looks like I just filled that quota. :newfish

---

Edit:

It would help if I could spell pearl scale right in the topic! :lol

Edited by Vee

That is such a cute fish!! :)

And 5 in 55 is perfectly fine. It still is 10 gallon per fish. Sure, we say 20 for the first fish but to me that has a lot to do with the overall swimming room (considered the fish will grow to somewhere between 5 and 8 inches), and it seems that it is easier to maintain great water quality in a large tank than in a small one.

A 55 gallon can easily sustain 5 fish. Heck, I keep 6 in my 55g tank with no problems. If there is enough filtration, and if you your parameters are fine, there is nothing to worry about.

Unless you shove like 10 fish in a 55 gallon tank, now THAT would be very crammed and will make it hard to keep the params in check.

Congrats on your pearlie! I love them.

I second what Fang says about the space issue, and in the spirit of full disclosure, I will say that I also have 6 fish in my 55. So far, I have managed to keep the water parameters in good check, and te nitrates never rise above 10ppm. I do at least one 80% WC per week, and many weeks I do two. :)

May the QT be uneventful. Do you have a name yet?

Congrats on your pearlie! I love them.

I second what Fang says about the space issue, and in the spirit of full disclosure, I will say that I also have 6 fish in my 55. So far, I have managed to keep the water parameters in good check, and te nitrates never rise above 10ppm. I do at least one 80% WC per week, and many weeks I do two. :)

I do two, because I have no plants (yet) to control the nitrate. :D

What a little cute pearl scale! I have never had one either but that one reminds me of that cuteness Aeryn had when I found her at the pet shop. I knew she would be perfect for me. :heart

I second the uneventful qt. :)

He looks like a little crowned pearlscale by the way! He has a round face rather than a mousey face :)

What a cutie!

If you want any tips on pearlscale keeping let us know, there are a few successful pearlie keepers here - sometimes they can be a bit tempremental people find.

what an adorable face! No wonder you had to go back for him! he doesn't look to be too fat either, which generally means he will be a bit more hardy than the big fatty pearls. I have 5 in my 55 and aside from last weeks still unexplained nitrate scare things appear pretty stable. I'm due for a WC tomorrow so that puts me at one week and my nitrates are a little above 5. My tank is pretty heavy on plants. I really don't want to add a 6th to this tank so hopefully I can avoid the fish section of stores and keep it as is.

Oh, and you guys. Don't encourage people to go out and buy more fish...especially people like ME! I had just seen the cutest Tiku, he had one bubble eye, and reminded myself that the single tail would equal 17...should I ever get them all back into the main tank.

^:rofl

Uh huh :D I read them all as encouragement :P but that could be my heart saying go get that Tiku...but then logic is saying you don't have anymore qt tanks...sigh...brain wins

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. :D It really is a cutie. :heart

If you guys have any tips on the pearl scales that'd be great for me. It's a good thing I accidently chose a harder one! :rofl

Surprisingly the fish I got looked generally free of ich spots, but the baby black moors in the same tank almost looked like they were reverse spotted dalmations! :thud

No name yet, but I'm considering calling it Pear in the meantime, in honor of my inability to spell this topic. :P

Erm usually feed them sinking pellets (although Charlie can handle floating food and I've had no problems with him).

When I first got him I fed him pretty much only bloodworms and they seem to work fine for pearlies too.

I tend to keep my water on the lower end of temperatures so 72F to 75-76F seems to work well for this tank. Also my tank is quite tall and thin, I don't know if the water depth helps in any way but could be a useful bit of info.

I also only use water surface agitation, no bubble wands or anything like that, and I don't use gravel just a few pretty glass stones. Literally just listing everything that works for me here now lol. I found that Tetra Goldfish Gold Japan premium fancy food sinking pellets have really boosted Charlie's growth and he's very stable no floating or anything. Anyway, don't know how much is useful but that's everything I do - hope it helps/gives ideas!

Boushh gets gel food, peas, spinach and soaked pellets. I hand feed everyone so their only chance at gorging is from the spinach clip. I've only had him a couple months but not a single problem. My 55g tank has 2 AC 110s and he can handle them turned all the way up (though they have been dialed down for Bruce).

Pear's got juuust a little bit of a wen growth going on, and there were others in the tank that had a bit more of a wen. :)

As for what you guys have suggested so far sounds like the same bit as my other goldies, so it should be easy enough! We'll see how things go after Pear's cured of the possible ich.

Lmao.."Pear Scale"... :lol1

Nice pick Vee! He's a cutie, and has a charming little moustache at that. ;)

Edited by Kateana

Well.. They kind of get pear shaped, come to think of it.. Smaller top, large bottom? :lol

I saw the mustache and I couldn't help but love it. :rofl I love fish who have little markings like that.. My favorite of my tropical fish (A platy with a black "Mustache") that I call Lipstick is my favorite of the tropicals.. :rofl

Oh.. :( I hope mine does well in the 55g with the others, it's a tall tank, though.. I think it might be about 2ft tall as well.. I've never had a fish have swim bladder issues.. Hopefully the sinking pellets and peas will help with that?

I'm sure you'll do great with him!!:Congrats:

i love his orange eyes, how unique. He really is a very special fish with those colors :tbanana.

So, the whole tank he was in had ich :thud? Yuk. That means he will have larval forms all over him poor baby...are you taking the salt up to 0.3%?

That should take care of it. :angelstaf:

Related question: Would goldfish eat pear??? :rofl

They are omnivores, and will eat just about anything, including fruits. However, all that sugar is not very good for them. So, if you do try, just do it very sparingly and very infrequently.