Sign in to follow this  
Smurfishy

Leakage While Testing

This must happen to others here. You put the water and chemicals in the vial, secure the cap, shake, check the results and notice a clear dip in liquid. NO matter what I do I can not avoid some leakage. I use some toilet paper each time I test and hold the top on tight when I shake. This is not good for my hands I am sure as well. Any tips? I use api.

I just cap it tightly and use my thumb to hold it down. That usually stops any leaks. It's true that those tubes can be irritating.

I started a post similar to this: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/91275-leaky-test-tubes/

And grr! it is annoying! I wish api would give us screw top lids. my nitrate test especially leaks everywhere. Call me a safety freak but If I am not in a rush, I get a resealable sandwich bag and some disposable gloves. It is so annoying that the Nitrate test goes everywhere because in total you have to shake in for a minute and a half!

Api, please change the tube tops!!! :cry

I am surprised to see the threads @ leaking test tubes. For years, I have used the api test kits and have not had an issue. Maybe I am just holding the cap really tight, because if anyone is going to create a mess, it would be me.

If you are really having a problem, you could try a replacement test tube. Many stores sell the single tubes. I couldn't tell you the manufacturer of the single tubes, but it might be worth a try just to experiment.

Ummmm, that's odd....I am with Grace in that I have never noticed any leakage AND that I would be prone to "making a mess" whenever possible too!! LOL!

Edited by Jeana727

interesting topic :idea ...what Alex said should work, in my case they drip when i remove the cap :wall

yeah raine, there is always the liquid at the top when you remove the cap too, even when I hold down the cap really tight it still leaks!

I always hold the test tube with two fingers: my thumb supports the bottom and my index finger is on the top holding the cap in place. No matter how much I invert or shake the tubes, I have never had a problem with leaks. They might have changed the tubes over the past couple years, I have had the same tubes for ages it seems.

I'm with Lady above here. I hold mine the same way and don't have leaks. I've noticed that it "could" leak if I wasn't holding it down like I do. Half of mine are really old tubes and half not and they all look the same and fit the same so I don't think that is it. API is what I have also.

Mine only leak when I remove the cap to dump it out...