Sign in to follow this  
br553

20g Tank, Work In Progress

I've recently setup my 20g tank (Boggles former home) as a tropical tank. Here are some pics of the tank with some new apon. bulbs that I got today.

photo3.jpg

Misc. aponogeton bulbs, some of the "miracle bulbs" or betta bulbs, plus a new A. Crispius that I brought home today.

photo2.jpg

My aproximately 5 year old A. Ulvaceous, that keeps going and going, transplanted from my 10g. I felt that it would do much better in the 20g. Also another A. Crispius and a dwarf lily tuber with multiple crowns bought today.

photo4.jpg

A wide shot of the tank showing all of the plants

I have 46watts worth of CFL's under the hood, giving 2.3 wpg. Fertilizer regimine(sp) is or will be much the same as my 10g, Flourish about once a week, Flourish Excel according to directions, and Jobe's plant spikes for root fertilization.

Edited by br553

Nice job! :)

That looks pretty! And hooray for me not being the only one with brown algae! :rofl

That looks pretty! And hooray for me not being the only one with brown algae! :rofl

Yeah it must be something to do with the increased amount of light. The tank had been running for years with a 15w bulb and didnt have brown algae until I bumped up the wattage

Get something fast growing plants in the tank and it should take care of the brown stuff.

Looks like your off to a great start.

what counts as fast growing? I can practically see the creeping jenny in my tank grow but there is still brown :( maybe I just need to give it a bit more time.

Hornwort, water lettuce, duck weed, water spirit are a few.

A couple of others are anacharis and some aponogeton hybrids can grow quite rapidly under the right conditions.

Here are a couple of new pics. Many of the plants have really taken off since I started dosing with Fluorish Excell.

Water onion bulb starting to grow. Keeping my fingers crossed that this one will work.

photo5.jpg

The newer apon bulbs have started going nuts on growth

photo6.jpg

A new whole tank shot. Cleaned out most of the brown algae, but that stuff is tenacious.

photo7.jpg

Here are the latest pics. There has been alot of growth in the last 2 weeks.

tropical3.jpg

Various aponogetons and a dwarf water onion

tropical2.jpg

What seems like an unusual apon to me and a couple of lily pads. The tiger barbs are getting nice and chunky

tropical1.jpg

A full tank shot.

Very nice! It looks great.

Hornwort, water lettuce, duck weed, water spirit are a few.

I can never find where to get duck weed, except for ordering online. And that place I found that everyone recommends, they say they sell duck weed in PORTIONS. But how big is a portion of duck weed???

My guess is that it varies from merchant to merchant. One might sell a portion as wide as say a half dollar, another might sell a portion 2 or 3 inches across, and so on.

edit: Oops, I guess I should look around a bit more before I post. Most sites sell by weight, not by volume. One site I've ordered plants from before, plus some others I've browsed, (other plants, not duckweed) sells it by the pound.

Wow what an amazing growth :)

Thank you everyone for the compliments. Part of me can't decide if I want the plants as dense as they used to be on my 10g or if I like it the way it is. I guess would be best to wait and see what the various plants do. The crispius, ulvaceous, and dwarf lily have the potential to take over the tank, given enough time. The ulvaceous DID take over my 10g when it was there. I should also add both of the A. crispius have nearly reached the top of the tank.