Just My Fish :)

How very very cute! The finnage on the pearlie & the oranda are amazing! And the little moor is adorable! :)

Are you using sand as substrate? How long have you been using it?

How very very cute! The finnage on the pearlie & the oranda are amazing! And the little moor is adorable! :)

Are you using sand as substrate? How long have you been using it?

ive been using the sand for about 7 months now since i set up the tank i love it its easy to keep clean and the fish love it as well ill never go back to gravel it also seemed like it cycled quicker to. i got the sand from a local beach(fresh water lake) washed it,baked, let it set for a week put it in the tank stired it up every day skimmed the top of the tank to make sure i got all the debris. every water change i stir it up though becuase it can easily trap debris and bacteria so it does need to be stired up every once in a while which i do when i turn the filters off for the water change.

I love your little black moor in the back! :heart it! just out of curiosity is there a difference in the fish when using sand instead of gravel?

Edited by Golden fishy

I love your little black moor in the back! :heart it! just out of curiosity is there a difference in the fish when using sand instead of gravel?

differance in the fish? hm i noticed they were more active but that was probably from them getting in a bigger tank i used to have the two bigger ones in a 20 gallon with the 2 catfish before i came to kokos ;) i do notice that my Ed likes to dig around in it from time to time and they have a much easier time getting the food that sinks and theres never any lost food either which is what i love about it it stays cleaner becuase the fish eat everything nothing gets lost in the substrate so i can feed less as well

You don't have any issues with the filters? Sand in my tanks killed 2 HOB filters.

nope the filter intake tubes are dont go down to the bottom of the tank and the sand isnt a real fine sand its like normal sand not like ocean sand more like sandbox sand.