Scale Loss :(

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?0.25

[*]Nitrite Level?1 (will do a WC tonight though, as tank is cycling)

[*]Nitrate level? 2.5ppm. On the Api chart it looks halfway between 5ppm and 0 ppm.

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.2

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?I reckon it is 7.5. As on the colour chart, the sample is a bit paler than 7.4 on the high range ph test and on the normal ph test, it looks like 7.6.

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api, freshwater master test kit (drops)

[*]Water temperature?75F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 36 gallons (140 litres)

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?Biobox 2 (650litres per hour)

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Since the tank is cycling, it varies. when the test kit says params are not okay, I do WC's.

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much? monday or tuesday (sorry bad memory), 100% as the nitrite were at 5ppm (no wonder Billy had white poo!)

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? Billy, 4 inches, Rolo 2 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? api stress coat, (I put in enough for it to work on the slime coat, one squirt (one ml, I have the bottle that is big and had a thing that looks like a soap pump on top)) api stress zyme

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?hikari pellets and sometimes a hikari meal is substituted with bloodworm and tubifex for a bit of variety (I do this 2-3 times a week) Regardless of what sort of food I am feeding them, I feed twice daily and a day a week of fasting.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? three scales lost on Billy's left side. Rolo is okay though.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no

Thank you for any replies! :)

Edited by ilovefantails

Is the fish in a tank w/ any type of large rocks?? He may have brushed against the rock?? This is all I can think of.. Im sure someone else with more experience will stop in soon :) Good luck!! :angelstaf:

Also if you could do a water change asap .. nitrites at 1 ppm is very high for a fish .. I noticed you had in your post your nitrites were at 5 ppm at one point.. did you mean your nitrates were at 5 ppm?? Nitrites at 5 ppm is extremely toxic to the fish :( - Please make sure you are changing your water when your nitrites are ANYTHING over .25.. typically you want to maintain 0 ammonia 0 nitrates and 0 nitrates which of course you probably already know but since your cycling understandably your are going to have SOME nitrites.. I just went rhough cycling my tank w/ my new prized oranda in it.. and it took about 9 weeks.. I was changing 50% of his water twice a day... but you have to make sure you arent letting that nitrite rise above .25 or this can lead to some health issues.. it will take longer to cycle but since you already have nitrates your already pretty close to being done :) - I am sure someone else will weigh in but I am wondering if the scale loss is related to the high levels of nitrites you recently had?? 5 ppm is SO high.. During this cycling process testing your params is critical.. it was a pain in the tush but I was testing twice a day and changing out his water twice a day .. :) You can probably also cut back to feeding once a day for now as well to keep the params in check until these nitrites subside for you :)

Good luck and make sure to keep up w/ those water changes until those nitrites subside :)

Edited by Jadafish

Thank you for the replies guys! the tank is a bare bottom (you can see some pics on the KG facebook page) and there are not really any rocks.

And yes, the nitrites were at 5ppm at one point :(

Edited by ilovefantails

Hello. As mentioned above, 1ppm nitrites is very very high and very bad for your fish. You will want to do a water change as soon a possible today. When you do, take as much water out as you can (90%), and when you fill it back up, remember to match the water temp. You will need to do this again in the morning, as you are at that phase in cycle development where nitrites can shoot up within hours. You may need to do large water changes twice daily to keep this in control. Keep nitrites near zero always.

Good luck! I hope your cycle will finish soon :)

The scale loss could very likely result from water quality issues.

Hello. As mentioned above, 1ppm nitrites is very very high and very bad for your fish. You will want to do a water change as soon a possible today. When you do, take as much water out as you can (90%), and when you fill it back up, remember to match the water temp. You will need to do this again in the morning, as you are at that phase in cycle development where nitrites can shoot up within hours. You may need to do large water changes twice daily to keep this in control. Keep nitrites near zero always.

Good luck! I hope your cycle will finish soon :)

The scale loss could very likely result from water quality issues.

Me and my dad are planning on doing a 75% WC today, and a 50% (maybe a 75 if I can persuade him- he is the one who carries anything from 7-13 10kg buckets up the stairs every time we do a large WC- which is every few days!). I am also going to salt to 0.3% as on this Koko's link http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Effective%20Quarantining.html (set one) as it says it will help will the healing of physical injury such as scale loss, abrasions etc. Also because salt can have a positive effect on the nitrites.

With the healing of the scale loss (set one on the link) will I need to just salt or do all of set one?

I don't think you should salt at all right now, because you still have some ammonia in your tank, and the salt will actually worsen the effects of ammonia. That's why salt is only recommended when your tank is cycled, or when you have some nitrites but no ammonia.

I don't think that you need to do anything else except to give them the much needed fresh new water each day. Could you ask you add to do a 90% WC today, and depending on the results in the morning, do an appropriate amount. Since you have 1 ppm nitrites now, doing a 75% water change will only reduce levels down to 0.25ppm, which is still quite toxic.

I don't think you should salt at all right now, because you still have some ammonia in your tank, and the salt will actually worsen the effects of ammonia. That's why salt is only recommended when your tank is cycled, or when you have some nitrites but no ammonia.

I don't think that you need to do anything else except to give them the much needed fresh new water each day. Could you ask you add to do a 90% WC today, and depending on the results in the morning, do an appropriate amount. Since you have 1 ppm nitrites now, doing a 75% water change will only reduce levels down to 0.25ppm, which is still quite toxic.

I'll try! and also, I will only be able to do WC's in the evening, as it is a hard job doing siphoning on my own (I am only 12!) whilst carrying 10kg buckets and pouring them down the loo. I have to wait til my dad gets in from work. My mum doesn't have much to do with cleaning out the fish :)

Thank you so much for your help guys, it really is greatly recieved :):heart

Good luck! :)

Thanks! just filling tank back up now, went as low with the water as I could so Billy's dorsal fin was just about covered. :) My dad is on board with the need of these never-ending water changes!

Go team! :D

Just tell your dad to please be patient and help you out with this for a little while longer. Once the bacteria that process nitrites have grown out, you'll be done with cycling. Hopefully soon! :)

Aww, I can only imagine how hard those water changes are for you, my 11 yr old girl would not be able to do them either like that. Is there any way to get them to get you a python or there are cheaper versions also?