Handling Goldfish Eggs

Guest lapive

Guest lapive

Hello everybody !

I am here today because I seek help,

I am curently studying at Lausanne university in Switzerland and for my study I need to gather goldfish eggs,

I have made a little construction on my tanks :

1 grill standing about 1 inch over a metal plate that I have covered with a mesh net (since adult goldfish eat eggs of their own species, this avods that problem).

One of my tank actually spawned eggs and I tried to gather them but I am afraid that I might have damaged them :

I took the grill of the tank, took the metal plate outside and cut the mesh with a cutter then i used a brush to take the eggs off the mesh while in a smaller tank.

I filled this smaller tank with tap water (about half) and pond water (the other half).

So here are my questions :

Since the plate is quite big (and the water quite cold) I took the mesh outside the water to cut it, how long can goldfish eggs be outside water ?

Is the brush technic ok or too violent ? i know they use similar technics for salmonids and zebrafish eggs but what about goldfish eggs ?

DO you have another technic or some few tips ? I have never took care of fish before 2 weeks ago when my study started and I'm still quite new to all that, I do make sure the fish are the happiest possible but those eggs or very very valuable to my group of study and I want to do this perfectly !

Hope some of you will be able to help

As i said in the presentation post, I am from switzerland, therefor my english is not my mother tongue, I might do a lot of grammar, spelling errors, please do not hold that against me.

Looking forward reading you

Lapive

Edited by lapive

I think the best thing to do is put fluffy plants in those tanks. Then you remove the plant and place it in a tank for the babies. With same water conditions and the main tank.

What is your study about?

Many people use spawning mops to collect the fish's eggs and transfer them to a fry tub / tank. Here is a nice tutorial for how to make a simple, cheap spawning mop http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/killi/spawningmop.php

I can't say if you have damaged those eggs or not. You will just have to wait and see if they are gonna be ok.

And the eggs can stay outside the water for a short while, as long as they don't dry out.

Guest lapive

I think the best thing to do is put fluffy plants in those tanks. Then you remove the plant and place it in a tank for the babies. With same water conditions and the main tank.

What is your study about?

I have some plants already but they layed eggs all over the tank and only some in the plants, I don't think plants will be enough, plus I have to make many groups of fry to have enough replicas (for statistical strengh)

My study is about the trojan y-chromosome to make it fast, i can allows us, only for species that are able to sex-reverse, to get an YY chromose female that, when she mates, will produce only males. That kind of individual can be put in introduced extotic fish population to extinct it (invasive one, like the Nile carp in lake victoria in africa that is at the moment destroying the entire ecosystem!) if this experiment works it will allows us to monitor such population without the use of any GMO fish or poisons that could have an effect of endemic fishes.

Concerning the spawning mobs, I will face the same problem, since I have to make many replicas I need to get the eggs out of the spawning mobs and therefor use a brush or something like that to handle them. I guess the mesh is easier so I don't miss one, each egg is important.

Edited by lapive

This is the way to do it if you want to insure that you get plenty. You must wait until they are ready. When you see them chasing really hard or catch them in the act you can collect them in a container.

I would really not do hand spawning unless you have been shown how to do it by a professional. It can easily harm the female organs. And it can only be done at the very end of spawning when most of the eggs are already out.

Why must you remove the eggs from the mops? Just put the mops in the tank for the fry. Ungluing them will just ruin the eggs.

I guess i didnt think about the fact that they guy who showed me how to do it has koi he spawned that are almost older than i am. If you hand spawn them you just have to be careful not to use to much pressure. It does not take much at all. It sounds to me like he is doing it as a science experiment. If that is the case any small variable like a piece of yarn on the egg could alter the results. In science all experiments need to be able to be duplicated. Contaminates are bad in science so i wouldn't want yarn in my experiment either.

I would try to use a few different bunches of plants. Then you can separate the bunches into separate aquariums. If you need four different groups, use four different bunches. Each bunch would then go into a different aquarium.

I understand about the variable control, but the only way you are going to get the eggs to hatch (not damage them) is to touch them as little as possible. I honestly think the brush method is much too rough.

DO NOT hand-spawn them. It is hazardous even for experienced breeders.

Guest lapive

I won't hand spawn them,

Concerning the plants or mob, the problem is I have to get a control group (without treatment) and therefor, to maintain the randomness, I must take them randomly so it can't be seperated by plants or mobs, it will skew the data :s

hi lapive, good luck on your project. if you have little or no experience with breeding goldfish then you should team up with someone who has as you will not be very sucessful your first time I think.

there is a good paper on goldfish genitics you might want to read to give you some guide and thoughts . By S.C.Chen , Inheritance blue & brown colours in goldfish, it is about genitics a is interesting.

goldfish Breeding by J. Smartt provides good info too.

goldfish Guide by Matsui has section with is amoung the best ever about topic.

• 4 weeks later...

Squeeze eggs and sperm onto large petri dishes and aerate to incubate.

http://...................blogspot.com/2011/03/bristol-shubunkin-lains-3611.html

Scroll to the bottom to start from the beginning.

Is your study looking at embryo exposure or is the treatment on the fry/adults?

With spawning mops you can collect eggs easily you could collect individual strands and cutting small pieces of yarn off with individual eggs.

http://...................blogspot.com/search?q=yarn