Sign in to follow this  
Rumpley

Help! Prized Fish Has Abscess?

I'm just wondering why you think costia would cause a strange skin issue like this? I thought the symptoms of the parasite costia were things like a slimy film on the head, clamped fins, lethargy, appetite loss, and scratching/flashing. I've never heard of it causing strange lump/cyst things like this. Just looking for your reasoning. And who is "we"?

actually, in the book Fish Disease Diagnosis and Treatment, it has a very detailed exapmle in photographic and written that descirbes what you see here almost to a T.. with that information and the qualtiy of water given the fact that there is no bleeding/blood from the leisions, they are not surface scrapes. surface scrapes remain on the surface, they do not protrude from within.

this also isn't a tumor going by what 3 books say.. .

we are treating first up for parasitic/bacterial as you have read with the progress of this thread. and if that doesn't help we well discuss costia.

By saying it appears to be a surface issue, I didn't mean a scrape. I meant something along the lines of an abnormal growth of skin cells or something along those lines. I would peg that as a "surface" issue. I am not saying I know what this issue is... I was just asking for clarification of your post. I've never heard of this book you're using to diagnose. Everything I've ever looked at about costia never mentions strange growths like this as a symptom, but I suppose I'll take your word for it.

I will have to agree with Sakura. I think costia messes more with the slime.

Let me check if I can get someone in.

I just think it is more of a wart/virus thing going. Especially since he seems to have more than one going. The bad water must have affected his immunity and he is particularly vulnerable to it.

Regarding the gravel, if you see that it is very dirty when you are syphoning it - that you are making lots of mess. Then it is best to remove the fish in a temporary bucket or such and do a thorough cleaning. When you release the harmful gasses from the gravel it could cause some dangerous health problems for the fish.

With the large water change yesterday, please note the new nitrate levels are at 10. Is that enough to maintain the cycle, or do we have to restart it? The gravel wasn't super dirty as we run two filters simultaneously, however we hadn't change the tank water in over a month due to the medicating.

Would the salt solution prescribed above hurt the other goldies in the tank? I thought some salt was fine in these tanks, and the others are thriving. I will qt him if everyone thinks it's best.

Nigel is still very active (business as usual) eats fine, swims fine....it's like he doesn't know he has this huge blister on his head ;)

Edited by Rumpley

10 nitrates is perfectly fine. :) Mine runs between 5-10 on my main tank so you do still have a cycle it looks like.

Can you not separate him in a qt tub or tank?

Check the cycling link in the signature. The nitrates are just the end of the cycle. You know your tank is cycled because you read no ammonia, no nitrites :)

The salt won't hurt to try. It won't hurt the other fish. You would just want to separate him if it is contagious.

Hi Rumpley, how is Nigel doing?

I have a similar problem to you with the tapwater pH and its fluctuations, so what I have to do is fill up a plastic bin (I bought one specially for this purpose) with tap water and add a few handfuls of crushed coral to it and leave it running with a bubbler (to prevent it stagnating) for about 12-24 hours to lift the pH from 6.6 out the tap to the 7.4 I want my tank running at. If I don't use the crushed coral my pH drops to below 6, and goldfish like alkaline water rather than acidic. I have a couple of handfuls of crushed coral in my canister filter too to keep the tank pH where I want it to, and it does this without fluctuating and I don't have to add chemicals to my tank all the time. I know this won't necessarily improve your wen problem, but it will help with your general water parameters to bring them inline with the best for goldfish, and crushed coral is pretty cheap anyway and you only need to add it once and can leave it in there :)

Keep getting those nitrates down, and if you can post some progress pics of Nigel for comparison that would be fab :)

Good luck!

Hi all,

Unfortunately Nigel's "abscess" has not changed. I think in fact it's growing slightly :(

The other spots on his head have now filled in orange and became part of his wen, so it's definitely specific to that area only. I can post pictures potentially tonight. It looks exactly the same, except a tad bigger.

He is still active and eating. We've changed the water and kept the tank very balanced and clean. My friend suggested I treat the spot on his face with hydrogen peroxide to see if that makes any difference, as she's had some success with that with her orandas. She said if it's not cancer, the hp should help.

Any other ideas of what to do?

hi rumpley..

did you manage to get the PH and nitrAtes under control? pics would be good as well as current water params for the norm:

Ph

ammonia

nitrAtes

nitrItes

sorry, i forgot to ask.. have you salted the tank at all? if so, what salt level are you at 0.1%, 0.2% or 0.3%?

Edit--- Sorry guys, I was reading and didn't notice a page two and by the time I posted I didn't realize. :P:heart

---

Hope your fish gets better! He's a beauty! :heart

Edited by Vee

I am not sure about the HP, it might help- maybe a MOD can weigh in on this?

I think I'd do one spot only at first. You are only supposed to touch an area with HP once, I understand, btw (i.e., not succesive treatments of the same spot). You'll want to use a q-tip or something and be careful it does not get in eyes or gills as it can damage them. I wish I had some wisdom on what this oculd be to offer, but I have not seen anything like this. You may be able to find a fish vet in your area. There is a list of links somewhere on this site. It seems odd enought that you may want profesisonal advice if available, if you can invest in that. I am glad your fish is acting fine, at least...poor baby.

If you salt, I'd QT, myself. The others do not need it, you know? And it easier to do water changes and adjust the salt accordingly in a smaller tank. I teap per gallon =.1%. If you go higher (3 teap=gallon max), it is best to raise it over 3 days (.1% per day) so as not to shock the fish. :)

I think Imo is best for this - she knows all about different types of growths etc. This to me still look like a cauliflower wart spot.