Unexpected Surprise.

So I returned home from college to find Roosevelt's fins in disarray. His caudal is the worst, and is missing a good third of tail. His anal and ventral fins are torn up but not nearly as bad as his tail. This clearly wasn't fin rot because the tank is cleaned every week. It isn't a water quality issue; it's violence. I watch my ranchu GLaDOS repeatedly bite his tail and nose him around, him swimming away in utter terror. Now the whole situation seems kind of backwards since GLaDOS is a girl (she has a very prominent outie vent) Roos is kind of a mystery. His vent isn't really out or in but I'm starting to suspect since he has no pearls on his fins or breeding stars that he might actually be a she. But why girl on girl violence? Roos was always a dominant fish but he only would head butt, and never ripped fins like GLaDOS is doing. I've heard that if there are only two fish in the tank one will pick on the other so would a third fish possibly remedy the situation? I'm going to talk to the owner of the LFS tomorrow and see if I can't return her for a more docile fish but I really like her and would like to try and keep her if I could fix this aggression issue. I used two 10gal dividers and strung them together to make a makeshift tank divider so Roos can rest and heal. But what do I do? -sigh- Figures I get a pretty fish and it is a total :booty :[

I don't have much advice on a solution. But my Jango has breeding stars AND an outie. Maybe GLaDOS is confused like Jango is?

I kept 2 commons in a tank together for years with no aggression, so I doubt that is the problem.

I don't think a third fish would do much besides provide a temporary distraction; there's a chance that GLaDOS would go right back to picking on Roosevelt or even start picking on the new fish.

Some members separate the "naughty" fish into another tank for a week or two then reintroduce them. Since Roosevelt's fins are torn up, you can use her healing time as a "time out" for GLaDOS, putting her in a separate tank. Once Roosevelt's better, you can try reintroducing them and see if GLaDOS has mellowed out.

If she hasn't, then you may have to set up a separate tank just for her or exchange her at the LFS.

I'm going to see if the LFS will take her back because I don't have room for another tank. When I picked her up to move her into the other divided side I noticed her abdomen is kinda squishy, like not dropsy or illness squishy but maybe she's eggy? Would this explain her behavior maybe? D:

It's so heartbreaking because Roos really had tried to befriend her. He is such a social fish and there was a noticable difference in his behavior after Ellie passed. He was so melancholy. :C Even now he's watching her through the divider, except now he is terrified of her.

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

Hmm, hopefully someone with more experience can chime in about that squishy belly; I've only heard it happening in cases of dropsy/illness as you mentioned. It is quite odd though (to me at least), that the fish with the eggy/squishy belly is the one being aggressive. However I most certainly wouldn't rule that out as part of the reason behind her actions.

It's so heartbreaking because Roos really had tried to befriend her. He is such a social fish and there was a noticable difference in his behavior after Ellie passed. He was so melancholy. :C Even now he's watching her through the divider, except now he is terrified of her.

Aww that's so sad, poor Roosevelt. :( I'm sorry about Ellie, it sounds like they were good friends.

Poor Roos. Maverick was lost for a while without Goose - and then followed Jango around until Jango finally accepted that he had a buddy. How long have the 2 been together in the tank? I'm sorry you lost your Ellie :( I hope you can find a solution.

Rename Roosevelt to Chell. Maybe that will teach GLaDOS.

Other than that, I know other members here had success with temporary separating the naughty fish. In the worst case, can you set up a 20 gallon tank for GLaDOS by herself?

My guys Bubbles and Blizz were together forever and no signs of aggression ever??was Ellie in this tank prier to her loss?maybe she was the queen and now Gladous is trying to take over the reins??

Theyre in a 30 and theyre both on the smaller side so space definitely isn't an issue. I don't have room for any more tanks until some of my betta get older and pass so keeping her in another large tank is simply out of the question. and no she wasn't living in the tank before Ellie's death. Right now I have them separated, I think I'll see she behaves once Roos fins heal but if they say they'll take her back I think that might just be easier. Ellie and Roos had been in the same size tank for over a year and ellie was a bit larger and there was still never aggression like this. Any opinions on her being eggy and kinda squishy? She's healthy as a horse so I'm kind of curious as to why she feels that way.

Theyre in a 30 and theyre both on the smaller side so space definitely isn't an issue. I don't have room for any more tanks until some of my betta get older and pass so keeping her in another large tank is simply out of the question. and no she wasn't living in the tank before Ellie's death. Right now I have them separated, I think I'll see she behaves once Roos fins heal but if they say they'll take her back I think that might just be easier. Ellie and Roos had been in the same size tank for over a year and ellie was a bit larger and there was still never aggression like this. Any opinions on her being eggy and kinda squishy? She's healthy as a horse so I'm kind of curious as to why she feels that way.

In diagnosis and discussion, there was a thread (i think) called something like 'oranda with a squishy belly'. turned out that the oranda was a bit eggy. maybe thats the issue? hope this situation is sorted soon :)

Edited by ilovefantails