Big Oranda Hiding From This Afternoon.

Lennard

My dark big Oranda is always very active and from this afternoon I have noticed that she is hiding between the plants being very inconspicuous. I sat there for a few minutes and she came out thinking I was going to feed them. As soon as she came into view of the other fishes two males immediately swam in her direction and she went into hiding again.

I believe she is going to spawn tomorrow morning again- that would be the third time from the time I got them.

A female being tired of all this chasing may also show this behavior before spawning?

If anyone has noticed this please reply :please

Lennard

She could definitely be hiding from exhaustion after being chased by the males. Mine do that also. One of them will also headstand, since apparently doing that stops the males' attentions.

She could definitely be hiding from exhaustion after being chased by the males. Mine do that also. One of them will also headstand, since apparently doing that stops the males' attentions.

She did not spawn this morning. Her last spawn was about a week ago(the fry hatched two days ago). The first spawn was about two weeks ago.

Did you ever noticed this behavior before a spawn?

Thanks for the reply.

Lennard

She could be brewing eggs, my girls bottom sit before releasing eggs. :)

If they become too aggressive and she gets stressed you can gently place her in a floating colander (the type you use to wash salad) and float her like that in the tank.

She could be brewing eggs, my girls bottom sit before releasing eggs. :)

If they become too aggressive and she gets stressed you can gently place her in a floating colander (the type you use to wash salad) and float her like that in the tank.

I slept too late this morning to catch them spawning - so I don't know if I can couple her hiding behavior. Maybe she did spawn the previous day and i did not catch it. Today she is her old self - no hiding. I believe everything is okay.

Nice idea of the colander - I will remember that.

Lennard