Tank Offers On Craigslist

number20121

Is anybody else shaking their head in disbelief over those ridiculous offers on craigslist sometimes? When people think they can get a fortune for an old, used, dirty tank that comes basically with nothing?

Like the other day, someone tried to sell his 55 gallon fish tank with glass hood for $ 1.500. Sure, it was originally custom made. Well, good for you.

But that thing is old now, probably scratched up and stained, and looked rather filthy in the picture. And they think they can get that amount of cash out of it when I can go to the LFS and get a brand new complete 55 gallon setup with stand, filters etc for 1/3 of what he wants? Really?? It didn't even look much different than your average 55g.

Or the other day, someone sold the Top Fin 10 gallon starter kit (used), trying to get $ 100 for it. Brand new at Pet$mart it costs around 70 bucks. :doh11:

I understand high prices if it is a saltwater setup and comes with most of the stuff. But selling an empty, dirty, old tank for that much money, I never know if I should laugh or cry.

/rant

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I know how you feel. It's ridiculous. Most of the time when I'm looking on Craigslist I just want the empty tank and people think they should charge five times what it's worth. :rolleyes:

It's great though, when I find a deal that's actually worth it. Then again, you have to be quick to get those, as people will snatch them right up.

That is absolutely true.

I don't mind if the tank has lights and filters etc with it, if it is still a reasonable price for a used, dirty tank. I'd never pay more than 50 bucks for a plain 55 gallon tank with nothing in it.

I've seen some pretty funny prices on 10 gallon set ups. Whenever I've put something on Craigslist its been hella cheap so That I could get rid of it without throwing it away.

Guest Juliet

Oh man can I relate to this topic!! Having just got a 30 long off of craigslist myself. I saw some pretty nasty looking tanks that people wanted a fortune for. They are crazy!!! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

hahahahaha. that's funny. :D

But yes, I have been looking on Craigslist to try to get some tanks. I ended up at Pet$mart and get just the tank for $11 for 10 gal (it's for my baby crayfish). If it's on sale, it should be way cheaper. (I had to get it for the time-being).

Sometimes, you do get lucky with cheap nice tank. I once picked up a 30 gals with everything (filter, light, brand new still sealed filter media, rocks, net.. etc...) for $10. The seller said she was given and it's been sitting in her basement for years... and she just wanted it "out"!

I also once saw an ad for 125 gals free.... the seller just wanted it out. (yes, you had to pick it up yourself... and his apartment was on the 3rd floor.... no evaluator... hahahaha. I did not have space to house a 125 gals...)

but I agree that most of the sellers are asking for way too much money for what it's worth. (the whole idea is... stuff on craigslist should be cheaper.... and I think some sellers just trying to use this point to try to sell their stuff more than what it's really worth.)

:D

Just my 2 cents... I am always check with different websites and LFS for deals.... and make sure that I am not paying more than what it's worth. :P

I'd never pay more than 50 bucks for a plain 55 gallon tank with nothing in it.

And you definitely should not. During the summer, the Pet Company has frequent sales where aquariums are priced at $1/gallon :)

I will never again buy a used tank.

There, I said it.

I have recently bought 2, and they have both been a headache! Etched, ugly glass. Tons of mineral deposits.

More hassle than it's worth.

I'd never pay more than 50 bucks for a plain 55 gallon tank with nothing in it.

And you definitely should not. During the summer, the Pet Company has frequent sales where aquariums are priced at $1/gallon :)

What's the limit on the $1 a gallon? I know there is one.

Never bought off of CL. Looked around and some of the stuff seemed expensive. But I don't look regularly.

Is it true that aquariums are cheaper in the US than in the UK? I once found a 20 gallon starter kit on an US site with everything included and only the equivalent of ?61. However because the tank is made of glass they don't really do deliveries and it's local pick-up (in the US) only. In the UK I have not been able to find any similar items that is less than ?90 - ?100, even from relatively cheaper online sources. In pet shops it could cost ?120.

Even a 12 gallon (US, around 48 litres) old tank with everything included costs around ?30 on ebay.co.uk.

What is craiglist anyway? Is it similar to ebay? One good thing with ebay is that it has the feedback function, so sellers who are not reliable or who charge too much would get low feedback scores and no-one would buy from them anymore.

Craigslist is a place where people offer their (usually) used stuff. It's not over a big company like ebay, it is kind of like the private advertisements section in newspaper, but instead in the newspaper it is on the internet.

Here's the link to the London Craigslist http://london.craigslist.co.uk/

:)

ive never bought a tank off craigslist way to exspensive people are crazy! once i posted an ad that i was looking to take old fish supplies off peoples hands i actually got a free 20 gallon with everything except fish got a light a heater an air pump decorations gravel everything i also got2 free 10 gallons that way from people who just wanted them gone one elaked but for free it was cheap to repair

There's someone trying to sell a 45 gallon tank for 700 dollars on CL near my hometown. Granted it comes with some supplies but... :rolleyes:

Craigslist is amazing if you live in a college town, since you have people moving in and out all the time and sutdents who realize they dont have the time for fish because of their studies. I have bought two 55 gal tanks with stands, lights and filters for $100.00 each. A 46gal bowfront, with stand, lights, filters for $100.00. Got a single 55 tank for $20.00 and the canaster filter for $30.00. And there are so many deals all the time, I had to stop looking because there was always something new I wanted and I really dont have the room to store all these tanks. Just a few days ago, I saw a 100 gal tank for $250.00 with stand, lights and all that. If the floor of my 2nd floor townhouse could hold more thanks I would have them! Can't wait till I move into a house that is flat on the ground. But yeah, now and then you see some crazy price, but normally tanks go for low prices here. Also, always remember to search "fish", "tank", "fishtank", and "aquarium" for the best chance to find a deal since some people only use one term when they post.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Western Washington and the deals go both ways. I see free tank set ups, about once a week. Some with retail prices of well over $500. I always seem to miss these by 30 minutes. But I know people that have gotten these deals so I know they are true. A couple weeks ago I bought 7 Lifegard canisters and a 1000 GPH Quiet One pump.

• 2 weeks later...

We don't have Craaigslist here (I don't think?) but we have local classifieds. Someone want to sell a 55g tank with all the stuff for ?650! But then someone was selling one that was 100g for ?350 and it came with more stuff and live plants. I was like PFFT you aren't gonna sell that, only unless the buyer is a total imbecile who doesn't get out much XD

I found this 120 gallon aquarium with filter, heater, UV sterilizer, stand etc for only ?88 (around $130 equivalent) on ebay! Unfortunately there isn't enough space in our house to place such a thing. :( (It's 1.5m / 5 feet long) The ex-owner was using it to keep marine fish.