Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sueberry

Treating Ich With Jungle Brand Ick Clear

Guest Sueberry

:huh:

Just treated my black moor with Jungle brand called "ick Cure" tank buddies, the tablet that fizzes. I still see a couple of spots on my blackie.

Can anyone give me some info. on what I should do next? I dropped the tablet right into the tank with all the fish like the box said, at least I think that's what it meant... :unsure:

I then changed the tank water and cleaned everything out completely and put them back. They are all doing well and swimming happily it appears. But again the spots...

anyone? :idont

Thanks!

Sueberry

Uh...... Jungle Ick Cure sucks. I learned the hard way. My expert goldie keeper at the local fish store even told me that the only reason they sell the stuff is because people buy it, but overall, it's no good.

My advice to you would be to salt the tank and heat it to about 80 degrees, and turn the light off. Leave the temp like that for a couple days and see how that works. Anyone else care to comment????????????

Guest Sueberry

:thud Thanks, I kinda figured. Should I move my blackie to a separate tank to treat him away from the others til better? Or should I treat the whole tank?

Sueberry

Well, myself, I would treat the whole tank. In my experience, when one gets ick, they all get it anyways. Let's see what emmahj or one of the big wigs say. Good luck. I hate it when my fish get ick. Oh, also, I'd give the gravel a vacuum to suck up some of the ick since it can lay dormant in your rocks and such. And remember when you do your water changes that you need to resalt the water you put back in the tank!! :hi

Guest sydney
:ill i would think they would say what to look for but i don't know so good luck with your fish....mine just died :(

Guest Sueberry

:( I put blackie in a tank by himself and treated him again. I left him in for 5-10 min with the Ick Cure and man I thought he was dead! He was floating around and I put him back into the big tank immediately.

It took about 15 minutes but he's swimming around happily again.

Scary! :cry

Who knew?

I'm going to trash the Ick Cure and go for the salt treatment. He's still got the little white spots. I sure hope the rest don't get this. I did vacuum out the gravel and even rinsed it off. I also put in a little C-100 pouch(?) that's supposed to salt the water.

I'm new to all this so it's a learning experience for me.

Thanks for your help! :goldfish

Sueberry[/FONT]

For ich you'll want to treat the tank it originated in,

including all the fish. I'll just rehash what errrika1979 posted.

To deal with ich you'll want to get a heater and raise the temp

to around 80*f. Make sure to have adaquate aeration in the

tank when doing this. Higher temps equal lower oxygen levels

in the water. Then you'll want to turn off the light on the tank

and cover the whole tank with a towel or blanket. On every

3rd day you'll want to gravel vacuum the bottom of the tank

to remove any dormant ich particles in the gravel. Along with all

of this you will need to either:

1) medicate with a product containing malachite green

such as Rid Ich+ found at your local fish store

(mmm, vvvv etc.) Make sure to remove any carbon in your

tank, it'll absorb the meds rendering it uneffective.

OR

2) treat with salt, add salt to 3 tsps per

gallon in increments of 1 tsp per gallon every 12 hours.

Use any salt which does NOT have anti-caking agents in it.

Dissolve it first in a container with a little tank water

before pouring it in. Keep up the treatment until the fish

has been completely ich-free for at least

6 days (which might well take a couple of weeks)

Remember when doing water changes to add enough salt

for the amount of water that was removed. With the water

changes use water closely matching the tank temp and add

a dechlorinator appropriate for the amount of new water going

into the tank.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Pm 94 is absolutely correct on the treatment.... but what i would suggest for future reference is to figure out what caused the ich and treat that at the same time.... because if you cure this case and just set your fish up for another case of it then you did no good.... so figure out whats up... keep water params up, fish uncowded and you should be fine....

and if you fish do not have a full blown case of ick then some times if you just keep the water params super good it will just "go away" its happend to me once.... i saw it on a fin i lightly salted the tank and did a 10 % water change everyday for the next three days and didn't see antying thus forth and the spots went a way.

So if i have any suggestions follow your gut, fix the cause not just the symptoms and take into consideration the over all health of your fish... if they were some what healthy their immune system should be able to take on a light case of ick but if the water params were bad you are in for a hard fight....

i hope this helped ....

cheers

Good luck

DPG

Guest Ira

best treatment for Ich is quick cure (formalin and malachite green )

for 3 days. 30 % water change before each treatment. The Formalin is for the parasite - the malachite is for the fungus. Turn lights off after treating.(light inactivates malachite). Raise temp to 80 - lots of aeration - Add salt to a 0.1-0.2 % level - slowly - 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons -daily for 4 or 5 days. Treat the tank - don't quarantine - May need to use again on day 5 ; 8; 11; 14 - to get the whole cycle of the ich parasite.

Guest PeachesCat

The Jungle brand CRYSTALS just cleared up the Ich on Rooty. I bought Super Ick Cure just in case, but didn't need to use it because this cleared it up.

Guest CHEYENNE

HEY EVERYONE: MY EXPERIENCE USE 3 TSP OF AQUARIUM SALT PER GALLON. PUT 1 TSP IN EVERY 12 HOURS TILL YOU HAVE 3 TSP PER GALLON. MAKE SURE YOU DO TWO 50 PERCENT WATERCHANGES TO GET THE AWFUL ICH MEDICINE OUT OF YOUR TANK. YOU BETTER KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR WATER QUALITY SINCE YOU HAVE KILLED YOUR GOOD BACTERIA WITH THE CHEMICALS IN THE ICH MEDICINE. DO THE WATERCHANGES BEFORE ADDING THE SALT. HEAT WILL HELP IS NOT NECESSARY. KEEP THE LIGHT TURNED OFF. CHECK YOUR WATER EVERYDAY AND DO CHANGES IF THE NITRITES GET HIGH. MORE WATER CHANGES IS EASIER ON THE FISH THAN BAD WATER. MAKE SURE TO ADD THE AMOUNT OF SALT YOU REMOVED. I HAVE MUCH BETTER LUCK DOING THAT THAN USING ANY HARSH CHEMICAL THEY HAVE MADE. LEAVE THE FISH IN THE TANK DON'T MOVE THEM AROUND IT IS STRESSFUL. IT WILL GO AWAY,MIGHT TAKE AWHILE BUT IF YOU MAKE SURE THE WATER QUALITY IS GOOD AND YOU KEEP THE SALT AT THE RIGHT LEVEL, YOUR FISH ARE SAFE AND HAPPY. THE PARACITES AREN'T. GOOD LUCK MARY

PM94, Lepperchan and Cheyenne have given you excellent advice. I can't add anything else useful, except to say that my personal recommendation would also be salt, heat and darkness as this is a very effective treatment. :)