Sign in to follow this  
ashv20

Weird Weird Fish Behaviour

Ok so i live in a very tropical climate and the water is usually about 80 degrees, but we have just had a cold snap and the water is now at 70 degrees. So i went to clean the tank this morning (still am) and i noticed that as soon as i turned off the filter, bubler and powerhead they both sat on the tank bottom, houdini is doing it now, lifeless sitting.

Do you think they are in some kind of survival mode? Because their water has never been this cold? Should i put a heater in? It's like they randomly

Decide to hibernate, no gill movement nothing. As soon as i touch them they start going for another minute. They have been perfectly fine until now haha.

I didnt think this was an emergency just goldfish behaviour.

My fish always huddle on the bottom of the pond when the water becomes colder. Last fall I came out one day and found them all huddled together in a corner of the pond. They weren't even interested in eating. I was sure something horrible had happened, and tested the water -- all fine. I cleaned the filter and changed some water. Still huddling. I fretted that a predator had frightened them. After the sun shone on the pond for a while, they were up and begging for food. The poor spoiled Florida babies thought 70 degrees was freezing! By February, they thought 60 degrees was just fine.

Goldfish don't like change. I have one tank in which all of the fish huddle in a corner whenever I turn off the filter. As soon as it's back on they're all happy again. As much as they don't like change, they adapt well, so your fish will be fine.

Hahaha thank you! That cracks me up, it's like they were playing freeze frame haha.

Some times fish do this cause they get so use to the noise of all the filters and such, then we turn it off and its dead silent.... Kinda how you feel when you get out of a really noisy place :o My fish will do this sometimes to in my 50 gal tank :)

Its like how you feel when the power goes off :o

My oldest fish, Hercules does this too at water change time! Then as soon as I have finished he is back up and swimming again! ;)

Mav and Jango hate when the filters are turned off. They huddle in the corner until they are back on. The fancy fish just keep bumbling around like nothing ever changed.

Lol I always talk to wisco like the nerd that I am... everytime I chg his water he sits at the bottom and stares lifelessly til I fill it back up... everytime I say "well hello there pouty pouty" lol he pouts til I refill his tank :rofl

My fish are too busy pestering me for food when I'm doing the WCs to even notice the filters are off lol.

Haha great stories, nice to know it's normal haha.