Sign in to follow this  
ilovefantails

Dropsy And Epsom Salts

For dropsy, I have heard of treating it with epsom salt. What brand of epsom salts do you use? how much should you administer for a dropsied fish?

If you have ever had a run-in with dropsy, and have sucessfully treated it, Id like to hear how!

Thanks guys,

ilovefantails

Ps: Do not worry, Billy nor Rolo have a case of dropsy :)

For dropsy, I have heard of treating it with epsom salt. What brand of epsom salts do you use? how much should you administer for a dropsied fish?

If you have ever had a run-in with dropsy, and have sucessfully treated it, Id like to hear how!

Thanks guys,

ilovefantails

Hello. Because dropsy is the visible display of a bunch of different causes, you are best off filling out the D&D form, along with any pics (especially top view) or videos that you think will be helpful. I am sure that once you've posted, a mod/helper/experienced member will be by to help. :) I can tell you that as far as Espom salt goes, as long as it's magnesium sulfate, I do not think the brand matters. :)

As Dnalex said, dropsy is a secondary symptom of many other things. It's like a fever in humans...it could be caused by a flu, a virus, an infection, eating bad food...all types of things.

As for treating it, some people have been successful but often the fish is too far gone to save once it has developed dropsy :(

Here is a good discussion of dropsy treatment

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20493-popeye-dropsy-treatment/

There are different stages of dropsy . As well as it being a symptom, there are different levels of dropsy. For example small raised area or whole body..comes and goes..permanent etc.

True pineconing all over is called dropsy and indicates renal failure (kidneys not functioning anymore). There are several stages of renal failure in humans and fish. Each next step is more serious. Many people and fish can be kept at renal failure early stage (there are 5 progressive stages) where they are weaker and prone to dropsy bouts BUT with good care can live. Usually not as long of course as a fish with strong kidneys.

But a fish that is completely and permanently dropsied with swelled body and showing no signs of recovery may be in end stage kidney failure for which there is no cure.

We have to be cautious with epsom as overdose or long term use causes internal bleeding.

Thanks guys,

ilovefantails

I use that one purchased loose from Medical stores. Magnesium Sulphate Heptahydrate.