Sign in to follow this  
Captain Findus Goldfish

Wheat Germ?

Okay so today I am making some gel food with wheat germ for one of my turtles to help her shell shed. I know they sell Hikari wheat germ. What exactly are the benefits of feeding this to goldfish? I am thinking of making a little more so I can give it to everyone. Is there any risk of feeding it to fish who get floaty?

I don't know the answers to your specific question-but I do add wheat germ to my gel to thicken it up,if need be. Somewhere in the food section Koko mentioned using it,so I just assumed it's okyeah.gifI've never had any problems using itbingo.gif

Ive used it it does help the fish gives them some fiber and thickens the gel food :)

I've used Hikari wheat germ and the fish like it. I dont notice anything special about that food, but the fish seem to enjoy munching it down.

Wheat germ is generally used for koi and goldfish in colder months. In cold months it takes fish longer to digest there food. Wheat germ is suppose to push the food through the system faster during this time (fiber), clean out their system before hibernation (fiber), and provide the fish with a lower protein diet during this slow or no growth period. This is just a very simple explanation.

Chris beat me to it. It's used in cold weather pond food. Wheat germ didn't work for me in gel food. It made the food all soft and crumbly, so I've stuck to seafood and veggies. My recipe was probably bad.