Sign in to follow this  
Iseul

Antibiotic Food For Goldfish

Actually 1 teaspoon is 1/3 of 1 tablespoon, not 1/10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teaspoon

In the United States one teaspoon is 1⁄3 tablespoon, 1⁄6 U.S. fl. oz, 1⁄48 of a cup, and 1⁄768 of a U.S. liquid gallon (see United States customary units for relative volumes of these other measures). This is approximately 5 mL[4] and 1⁄3 of a cubic inch.

4 teaspoons in 1 gallon = 0.5% solution

4 tablespoons in 1 gallon = 1.5% solution

For 3% solution one would need EIGHT tablespoons, so they clearly wrote the percentage wrong.

Well, at least I didn't exactly follow their % when I treated my fish. I used the equivalent of 3 full tablespoons, which is equal to 9 teaspoons, which gives a 1.125% solution in 1 gallon of water. But it might still have pushed the severely sick fish (red streaks on fins, red patches under skin and around gills, unable to swim upright and keeping on leaning 90% to the side) over the edge. :(

Maybe salt dips regardless of solution aren't recommended for severely sick fish at all, especially when it's internal bacterial infection which the salt solution cannot directly help with. I was feeling desperate so I took a risk and tried to save the fish for 1 last time.

The fish stayed in the salt dip for no more than 5 minutes, and it lost consciousness not long after returning to its tank. Maybe it was losing consciousness anyway, maybe the salt dip accelerated or indeed slowed down this process. I didn't think that fish was going to survive the night if it was left untreated so I took a gamble and tried to treat it with a salt dip. After it completely lost consciousness (no gill/mouth movements at all, floating on the surface of the water with much of the body exposed sideways) for around an hour, it looked dead, so I buried it in a little self-made coffin (made from 2 cups) with some "burial goods" - water, food, marbles, inside in the backyard. Maybe I should have persisted in trying to revive it some more. I've read later that one can put an unconscious fish into the fridge for 45 minutes, and take it out and let it gradually warm up in room temperature over an hour. Sometimes the fish might revive...but I didn't know this at the time, and the fish looked died, so I buried it. Still, it's possible that the mistake on that webpage is partly to blame. This is why I said before the internet cannot be wholly trusted because much of the information on it is not accurate. Better to rely on a good book.

However, objectively I really don't think it was directly the salt solution that killed the fish. The fish was dying anyway. It was just a matter of time. A 1.125% solution for a few minutes would never kill or seriously harm a healthy fish.

Really Iseul your post brought tears to my eyes. You love your goldfish so much, that I am overwhelmed. bless you Iseul.