Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
seheap

Well, I Opened My Pond

Recommended Posts

I started up my pond today. I had to kick out three dead mice...but otherwise, had no complications!

Right now it's sitting filled with PP and the pump is off. Something went screwy with the intake/output valves and they aren't balanced (my pond was overflowing and the filter box was emptying!) so Steve will have to look at it tomorrow. :)

Now I'm off to the petstore to buy some filter media baskets and another bag of substrate.

And I think I'm going to see if they have barley. The quartz sleeve of my UV is broken...and I can't find an affordable replacement, so I need something to keep the green water in check.

If any of you have used barley, I'd love if you share some tips with me! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pics, please :please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's definitely pond season again!

I've used barley in the past, but didn't see any noticeable difference with it. I had some pads last year that I put in the outflow from my filter, but I still had a huge green water problem.

This year I've been keeping the intake for my pump clear and it has greatly increased my flow rate. That and having lots of fitter media seems to be keeping the green water and algae at bay. Oh, I also increased the amount of plants in the pond. Last year all I had were two lilies. This year I added lots of hornwort, which is keeping the water clear, but also adding lots of sediment the bottom because it drops "leaves" like crazy. I also added a large cabomba. I would guess that almost half of my pond volume is taken up with plants now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been thinking about adding some "high light" plants that never do well in my tanks. I usually have only 3 lilies, a basket of "oxygenator" (something like rotalia) and a huge calla lily. It can't hurt to add more! :)

I have TONS of media though...all the media from my filters goes into the pond since all my indoor fish go outdoors!

The barley was on sale, so I picked up a bag. I figure I'll try it and if it doesn't work, it was only $5! :)

Pictures will come soon, Alex. As soon as we can figure out what's wrong with the valves (we're starting to think there's ANOTHER dead mouse in the pipes...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
  • Create New...