Sign in to follow this  
Jellybabe

Mating Behaviour?

Hi

Hoping someone can help me. I have two goldfish (not sure of variety, one is plain gold with big tail, and smaller one is white and gold with smaller tail) The white and gold one looks chubby, not thinish like big one, and the big one keeps chasing the little one. Keeps pushing and its nonstop. Is this mating behaviour? I've tried to look at vents but hard. The small one has a quite big, open looking vent, and the big one smaller but can see it ok.Should I leave them to be or take one out? Im just worried its stressing the little one out as its non stop. I tried looking on the gills for the big fish for telltale signs of spawning, but cant see anything obvious. Please help as im worried.

Sheree

Hello Sheree,

It could be breeding/mating behavior indeed. The male will "nose nudge" the females belly, side of it or under it and this causes the female to a) swim in circles to escape b) swim frantically and or c) take long bottom sitting rests in corners where she feels safe or somehow protected.

It is unusual for the male to be the big one but not impossible by any means. A gravid/ready female will often have a round tummy.

It is not something to worry about unless the female grounds herself for long periods and shows signs of stress like frayed fins.

The only other thing is bullying..........if it happens at feeding time this may be it.

Hi Sheree,

welcome to koko's,

:goodpost great information from trinket :) i would also like to add that we also need to consider space and water quality issues.. can you tell us how many gallons the tank is and what the parameters for the following are:

PH

AMMONIA

NITRATES

NITRITES

Thanks for reply. They were intially fish that we bought and put in a starter bowl (which is tiny), they didnt have a filter or anything. They grew and became a bit big for the round bowl, so we got a glass tank. The tank measures 29.5Lx 32Hx 18.5D. Before we moved them I conditioned the water. Im not so clued up on the parameters. Could the big one be bullying the little one coz of the new environment? When i feed them they both eat and the big one sort of refrains from chasing the little one, once he's done he'll chase her again. He seems to nudge and 'nip' under her belly and yes, she does go and hide in the corner or behind the plant. He'll still go to her and push her out of where she's hiding. She seems ok ie fins dont seem damaged. We did seperate then yesterday for a while, and they both seemd a bit frantic. The little one seem to not settle down, kept swimming around like when they see its feeding time. The little one does seem round, right back until where the back tail starts.

ok.. it looks like you have less than 5 US gallons which is really, really small.. i know you're trying to help them which is great news.. but you're going to need a 30 US gallon tank for them with suitable filtration.. i would have to say that it's bullying.. there is not enough room in that tank for the one fish let alone 2...

is there any way you can get a bigger tank that's required and if not a tank a 30 gallon suitable food safe tub? that has not had chemicals stored or used in it prior?

can you tell if you have a filter? gravel at the bed of the tank and how often do you change the water and how much do you change each time you do a water change?

Oh, it was indeed mating behaviour! I see eggs all over lol. She's still dropping them as I write lol. How long does it take for the male to fertelize them and what do i do next. I'd love to keep some. Helllpp lol

i suggest that you just clean them out as soon as possible, that tank is way to small for any gold fish.. leaving the eggs in there will just create health problems for your fish... please read my previous post.

once in a nice healthy sized tank, your fish can breed again and you can use this small one to raise fry if you like.

I'm with Stakos on this one. A five gallon is not suitable for goldfish, they are very messy and have the potential to get up to a foot long in some cases.

-James

Ok. Thanx, will look into a bigger one asap.

It's worth it. A large fancy goldfish is a very beautiful site.

-James