Comet Fungus?

hi all,

i have 2 comet's approx 8cm long who have a white blotch above their eye.

it kinda looks like he's changing colour, i dont see any external growth on the surface

both were purchased as a 5 for $10 deal (same family of fry)

they are in the pond with all the others and they all look as healthy and happy as ever, no sickness or weird swimming.

healthy appetite.

any advice would be appreciated, its kinda hard to get a clear photo due to reflections in the pond :(

just to clarify one thing.

"both were purchased as a 5 for $10 deal (same family of fry)" ~6mths ago as 5cm comets.

Both............have the same white blotch? Same place...?:unsure:

What kind of blotch, sorry for Qs before diagnosis but a blotch can be a missing scale to some or a fuzzy growth to another. Are they raised or red at all? Are their eyes themselves clear not cloudy?

More description needed please.

Assume your pond is registering no ammonia etc.

one has a blotch above the right eye.

the other has a larger blotch above his left eye (same place but opposite eye)

hopefully i'll have some photo's soon, but they are eating and swimming as happy as usual.

Edited by Oblivion

eyes are clear, looking around fine, came to the surface to eat.

no redness, just a white fuzzy blotch, doesnt look raised but i guess it could be so minor i might not notice as it swims past.

one of his siblings looks like it might have two tiny spots behind the top of the gill, but again not raised or anything

i observed the others and there was no abnormal marks on any of the fantails, moores, shubunkins, or other comets.

unfortunately theye are too fast with their tails, and im too slow with the net amongst all the lily's and vallisneria to get one out but i did get a couple of reasonable pics.

only abnormal behaviour i seen was between my two 20cm comets.

capt'n the all orange comet, and patches the red white patchy comet. (got em as 15cm comets, man have they grown! )

they were fossicking on the bottom having a push me shove you match to get at that awesome bit of something tasty tucked under a pot, then turning head/tail and spinning around against each other, ying/yang style in a circle.

Edited by Oblivion

okay pics if you can. Is the blotch a faded patch of missing scales or a brown or red patch on them?

i would say the pattern and colour reminds me of a flattened, wet cotton ball.

it doesnt appear to be raised but it is very early stages in detection..

the research ive done suggests fungus might be the culprit,

fish%20spot.JPG

fish%20spot2.JPG

fish%20spot3.JPG

they were fossicking on the bottom having a push me shove you match to get at that awesome bit of something tasty tucked under a pot, then turning head/tail and spinning around against each other, ying/yang style in a circle.

This sounds like breeding behavior most common when the pond temp changes dramatically~ as in spring. It can make females weak and vulnerable to viruses, parasites, bacteria in the water that don't normally affect them.

i would say the pattern and colour reminds me of a flattened, wet cotton ball.

it doesnt appear to be raised but it is very early stages in detection..

There seems to be some raised lumps below the eye in the first pic. This looks somewhat like a viral type growth. They are common in ponds. The white fuzzy spot could be the start of another as these spread and grow. There is no 100% guaranteed cure for these if that is what it is.

Here's a pic for comparison:

lymphocyst.jpg

or

it could be a true fungus which are actually also rather common in ponds. And start white and then go greyish like this:

saprolegniafungus-1.jpg

You say the fish are too difficult to catch so it would be hard to do a topical application I suppose?

Did you do a large water change in your pond recently? What are your readings for ammonia and nitrates :)

i had a better look at the fish that has the most marks, they are definately raised, white, fluffy/fuzzy lumps.

i could get them out if i have to, but i'd rather keep them seperate until they heal becaise its a pita to remove/install all the lily's and plants and net them amongst all the other fish at the surface begging for food

i'd need to put them in a plastic tub of pond water (probably 10gal/40l) and there'd be no water circ or airline, just a tub of water.

i guess i could change 25% every day until they heal. being the start of winter (or thereabouts) in australia and the pond at around 13c i already feed them a lot less anyway.

Edited by Oblivion

There seems to be some raised lumps below the eye in the first pic.

*snip*

Did you do a large water change in your pond recently? What are your readings for ammonia and nitrates :)

i edited your quote to address these two specifically,

i had fed flake on the surface to attract them for photo's. the red lump is a bit of flake floating on the surface. (optical illusion)

same as the few white chunks around him, or further down his back.

its only the mark in the circle (sorry for adding to confusion, should have mentioned it earlier)

i usually feed flake by holding a pinch underwater and flicking it so it disperses in the water so all fish get a munch and it discourages floating food gobbling on the surface.

whoops:

ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, all zero (as usual with so many plants and quality filtration

(tested with api freshwater test kit)

ph is a shade over 8

Edited by Oblivion

• 3 weeks later...

well i tried melafix, it didnt make them better, but they arent any worse either.

they look the same as the pics above.

theres actually 3 of them (noticed another fish with a tiny mark) and theyre all brothers/sisters, maybe some sort of genetic predisposition type of thing ?

Edited by Oblivion