Sign in to follow this  
Sakura

My Balcony Pond

I originally was going to buy a 50 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank, but then I figured just making my own plywood tub would be cheaper, since I already had the pond liner. WRONG! lol, It was not cheaper by any means, but I'm still happy with how it turned out. I think in the end, it looks nicer than a Rubbermaid stock tank would have looked anyway. And believe it or not, I made it all by myself! I learned from the wonderful post Ichthius made a while back: Plywood Ranchu Tub.

Materials:

f005.jpg

I assembled the box:

f010.jpg

Painted it:

g005.jpg

Fitted the pond liner:

g008.jpg

Trimmed off the excess liner filled it:

g013.jpg

Stapled the pond liner to the box and cleaned up the edges:

g016.jpg

Now we just have to run an extension cord out there (we have to sneak it through in the opening for the AC unit), make a sun shade screen cover for it, add a filter (probably DIY), and decorate! I think it's going to be really nice sitting out on the balcony this summer. :) I have three baby butterflies coming that will be here on Thursday, and this tub will be their home. If the seller gives me permission, I'll post his sale photos of them. One is black, one's white, and the other is red/white.

I'll post more photos as things develop, so keep watching this thread!

Any of you people who have smaller above ground ponds like this: will I need to add a heater to keep temps stable overnight? I figured with this volume of water, the temperature fluctuations wouldn't be very extreme, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Oh, wow, Sakura. Great work! Those baby butterflies are going to love their pond. I can't believe how fast you've worked. :D

:Congrats:

Thanks Alex! As you can see from the second photo, I worked well into the night last night, lol. And we have bats that live in the siding above our sliding glass door, so I was listening to them squeaking away. Hey, you don't think the weight is too much, do you? I'm pretty darn sure it's just fine, but I can't get that nagging worry out of my mind. I figure it's about 400 lbs. Here's what the balcony construction looks like:

b004.jpg

I hope it will be ok, but I have no idea how you can check the structural integrity of that balcony. However, if you reason it out, that pond will probably weigh 500 pounds. I would imagine that the balcony should be able to handle that amount of weight for that amount of space.

Edited by dnalex

Yeah, it seems to be well-supported. I figure it's the same as about three people standing in one place, so it seems like it should be fine.

The seller said I could post pics, so here are my new babies. :heart I think they're only about 3 inches apiece! I got them from the same seller as Vahlla- thank you so much Vahlla for putting me in touch with this seller! :)

black.png

redwhite.png

white.png

Aw. They are so beautiful! They are going to love their pond and grow to large sizes.

:Congrats:

very nice! is it about 50 gallons?

Yeah. If I filled it to the brim it would be about 60 gallons, but I have it filled to a depth of 12 inches for 50 gallons. :)

Can't wait to see what it looks like when you have finished. Those fish are adorable.

Thanks Grace and Buggy! I'm really looking forward to watching these fish grow and develop. :) The only butterflies I've had up until this point were all fully-grown already.

Wow what a great little deck pond! I love it. Looks very nice Sakura! And also wow at how simple to make!

Thanks! Yeah, it was pretty easy to make. It had to be, or I wouldn't have been able to make it! lol

Whoo hooooooooooosmilie_staub.gifNice,Sakurahi5.gifCan't wait to see the new babies in their new homeheartpump.gif

Thanks Susan! I'm actually really proud of myself for doing this all by myself, lol. :D How is your balcony pond doing these days?

Excellent job.

How hot does your balcony get in summer? I tried this once but the water got too hot sadly :( But we do get temps of 35 degrees c!!

Thanks Imo! Occasionally it gets over 100*F here in the summer, but not very often and not for long stretches of time. I'll be watching the temp closely and making sure there's enough shade and water circulation to keep it cool. :) There's a big tree that keeps our balcony in the shade pretty much all day, and I'll also be making a shade screen for it. I'm hoping it won't get too hot for them, but if it does I can always move them to an inside tank, I have space for them inside too if need be.

Sounds good :D

If I may ask, how hot is too hot, as far as the pond water temp is concerned? This is a question I've always wondered about. Thanks

Congrats! It looks great :D

Thanks Ashlee :)

If I may ask, how hot is too hot, as far as the pond water temp is concerned? This is a question I've always wondered about. Thanks

Alex, I read on another forum that 85*F or higher is too hot. 78-80 is quite hot, but still okay as long as aeration is good, apparently.

how nice!

are you going to add a protective cover for predators?

It's funny because yesterday I was planting some new flowers in a built flower 'tub' I have in my garden (it's like 3x2 meters and in the shade) and I was like, wouldn't this make a nice single tail pond! :rofl

Nice pond. I remember seeing the instruction for this posted by Ichthius!

One thing I want to say - and I am quite aware of that yourself, but I just makes me feel better mentioning it - make sure the balcony is always well sealed. It would be horrible to have moisture get under the pond and the balcony starting to rot away underneath it! :yikes

I believe it also depends on the depth and general size of the pond (considering the more water, the longer it takes for it to fully warm up), and - as Sakura said - the aeration etc.

Because a lot of people are forced to have their fish spend their summers in temperatures above 85F. Like Trinket said in another topic, she doesn't have A/C and in summer it often gets to around 90F in her place. Same with me, our house is getting NO SHADE at all and so the temps often went up to 95F inside. I think the tank temperature was around 88 - 90F during those weeks, but the fish were doing fine.

The frozen bottles of water really don't do any good, they defrost within a few minutes. Unless you have an endless supply of frozen bottles and can be there all day long to swap the bottles, plus keep an eye on the temperature not fluctuating all day long, there really is no point in doing that.

They sell CHILLERS for fish tanks / ponds though, but they are fricken expensive. :madrant

Pretty cool Sakura! And the new Butterfly additions are very cute. I hope all works out well for you with the balcony pond - be sure to post more pics once everyone's settled in ;)

Great job Sakura! Can't wait to see it with decor/plants/fish!