Do I Have A Big Enough Tank?

I have one Black moor and one Lionhead in a 20 gallon tank (has been running for about 2 years with tropicals but gave them away), so is this a big enough home for my current goldfish? Will i need to upgrade?

The recommended stocking is 20 gallons for the 1st goldfish, and for each additional goldfish you add 10g/goldfish for fancies and 20g/goldfish for single tails. How big are your fish?

The recommended stocking is 20 gallons for the 1st goldfish, and for each additional goldfish you add 10g/goldfish for fancies and 20g/goldfish for single tails. How big are your fish?

Like 2-3 inches.

I don't think they are in any immediate danger because of tank size, but a tank upgrade would be great for them at some point in the not too far future. Do you monitor your water parameters often? How often do you change your water and how much? Since you are maximally stocked, I recommend doing at least weekly water changes of at least 50%. You will have a better idea of how much water change you need to do based on your nitrate readings. Don't let it get to above 20ppm.

You had them for 2 years and they are that size or you just got them recently?

If you already got them for 2 years, then I think they are smaller than they should be; could be stunted from a too small environment already. :( How often and how much water do you change?

It technically is possible to keep them in a 20gallon tank, but then you'd have to about double the maintenance. So instead of the weekly 50% water change, two 50% water changes.

Or even better, upgrading to at least a 29gallon tank.

He was saying it was set up for 2 years with TROPICAL goldfish but gave those away. Goldfish are new to the tank. :)

You ideally need a 30g tank but they would be fine for a short time and maybe you can catch a deal on another tank.

He was saying it was set up for 2 years with TROPICAL goldfish but gave those away. Goldfish are new to the tank. :)

You ideally need a 30g tank but they would be fine for a short time and maybe you can catch a deal on another tank.

Correct

Start saving and looking for a 29. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a nice used one. If not hopefully you'll have enough money for larger tank before they really need it.

Good luck

each goldfish should have between 15-20 gallons of water to swim in regardless of their size. However if they are small ( 2-3 INCHES) and you maintain excellent water conditions, you will be fine for a while but in reality, two goldfish would benefit much more in a minimum of a 55 gallon tank